Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runaway students

Hello,

I am currently receiving my master's degree in teaching.

I am wondering if you could give me some information for teachers on how to deal with runaway students. When I student taught, I had a student who had run away from home but was still coming to class and I wasn't sure what my obligations were in terms of reporting his whereabouts, contacting CPS, etc. So.. I guess to clarify my question... what should a teacher do in the event that she finds out that a student has run away (but is still coming to class)?

What if the student is thinking of running away?

If the student has been "thrown" away/ kicked out?

For sure, the first thing I would do would be to refer my student to a counselor and to your organization. What are my options and obligations after that?

Thanks so much for your help!

Re: runaway students

Thanks for contacting us here at NRS. It is very caring of you to ask about and get information about our services. When you are teaching, we are sure that there are times where you may deal with students who are runaways. Parents or guardians are the only people who can legitimately report a youth as a runaway, so in this regard you do not have and obligation. If you would like to help and be involved, of course there are ways you can go about doing this such as providing the youth with other resources avalilable. Running away is not a crime specifcally and therefore this is not something you would want to contact CPS regarding. If the student is a throwaway, then yes you do have the option of annonymously contacting someone to file an abuse/neglect report. It is a sticky situation to wonder what to do as a teacher because normally the parents/guardians would have already reported the youth and as a result would also be the ones contacting the school to see if the child even showed up.
    If the youth is indeed thinking about running away, of course you may give them our number as a resource to call. We are confidential and available 24 hours. We would talk to them about their options and a plan of action and go from there. We have a database that we could look up shelter or alternative housing information for the youth to ensure that they remain safe.

God luck with your teaching career and all your other future endeavors. It takes a really special person to care and reach out for some help for troubed or at-risk youth. Again, we are available for support for the youth, the family and close friends 24 hours. We are also confidential and can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X