Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i am 14 and want to run away...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i am 14 and want to run away...

    well I turned here for last resort. I already kind of made the decision that I am going to leave, and I have a lot of support, just not from family. I live in Louisiana and I turn 15 in march 2015. I know the legal age to move out is 17, but that's in like 893 days. I cannot wait that long. I moved here about 7 months ago, and ever since then, I've been so depressed, I don't want to do anything, etc. I cant take this anymore. I want to go home. my hometown is approximately 120 miles away, not over state lines. I will be moving in with my uncle while I work and go to school. I want to save money while I am there, so I can re-start the life I had there before. my high school goes by semesters, so does the one I will be transferring to. so I made the plan to move there during Christmas break this year, December 19. I cant talk to my parents because they just shoot the whole plan down and tell me I am not leaving. the only thing I am worried about is not being able to drop out of school and enrolling into the other school. and of course, the police. I spend 95% of my time researching the law on minors running away and if its legal. the other 5% is planning this move and arguing with my family. my whole family is against me wanting to go back there, and my parents don't know I even made this plan to run away. I really just need some guidance in all of this, and I need to know if its legal. i just don't know what to do. thank you in advance.

  • #2
    RE: I am 14 and want to run away...

    Hello there,

    Thanks for reaching out to us during this difficult time. It sounds like you have a pretty solid plan for leaving home before you are 18. We are not legal experts, but in most states the age of being able to legally leave home without any consequences. Although it is not against the law for you to run away from home, anyone caught helping you could possibly be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’. Is your uncle willing to take this risk for you? It also sounds like your parents will not give you permission to leave. As long as you are still a minor your parents do have the right to report you missing and press charges against anyone who would be helping you. Have you talked to the school you are planning on enrolling in about how to transfer credits?

    There are two general ways to legally leave home as a minor. One would be if there is abuse or neglect in the home and you are removed by child protective services. The other way would be to become emancipated. That process often take time and money, and must go through the courts which would rule in your favor.
    It sounds like you have a lot going on and need some help. We would be happy to talk to you and help you come up with a plan for what to do next. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

    Comment

    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X