Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 and kicked out

My cousin is 17, will be 18 on January 30th. His mom kicked him out and I took him in, now she's saying that she's getting the police involved and reporting that he is a run away and I'm helping him runaway. Which isn't true at all...
    He doesn't want to go back and wants to stay with me, he gets to school on time everyday and to all his after school activities.
    It's in his best interest if he stays with me, but I don't want either one of us getting in legal trouble, we're both from Simi Valley, CA.

Re: 17 and kicked out

Hello –

Thanks for contacting us with your questions and concerns. It sounds like you and your cousin are in a tough spot right now and trying to figure out how to move forward. You mentioned your cousin will be 18 in January and his mom recently kicked him out. Now mom is saying she is going to contact the police and report him as a runaway. It sounds like you would like for your cousin to stay but you want to make sure that neither of you would get in trouble.

In most states age of majority is 18 so at 17 he would still be considered a minor and police may say he has to be back at home until then. With that said it’s always difficult to know how the police will deal with a youth who is so close to being 18. Sometimes they may take a report but say they can’t force a youth back home. In regards to harboring a minor/runaway there are laws like that out there but it doesn’t sound like you are trying to hide the youth it just sounds like you are providing a safe place for him to stay because of everything going on with mom. Obviously if the police speak with you or come to the home it would probably be best to be honest with them about the situation going on with mom and her kicking him out. It may also be an option to try and reach out to his school and see if they have any ideas or options for this situation. We are not associated with the police so it’s difficult for us to give specifics about what they would do. We did look up a legal aid number in your area that may be able to give you more specifics on your rights.

The Alliance for Children’s Rights – 213-368-6010

If you would like to discuss your situation more in depth there is always someone available to discuss safe options and resources. Our services are confidential and anonymous and there is always someone here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Okay so I’m currently 16 and my mom has been wanting to kick me out but she hasn’t done it yet she threatens to do it but actually never does and I kind a want her to but i don’t know what would happen after she does what do I do

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It must be difficult for your mother to keep threatening to kick you out. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws.
        Because you are a minor, if your mother does kick you out she could get charged with neglect. You can make a neglect report by contacting your local police or by calling The Child Helpline at: 1800-422-4453. We know that sometimes making a report can be scary if you would like our help you can call us at any time.
        If you do not wish to make a report that is okay, it is completely your decision. If you need a safe place to stay you could consider asking family or friends if you could stay with them. Another option is if you call or chat with us we can help you look for shelters in your area. You do not deserve to be kicked out of your home.
        We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We wish you the best of luck!
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X