Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my 17 year old girlfriend live with me without parental consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im 20 and my girlfriend is 17 and will be turning 18 in April who we both live in NC but her mom wants to move and forces her hand with everything. I dont want her to move away and to just come live with me. She doesnt want to move away and is very unhappy with how shes treated. Is there anyway around the Mancipation rule since shes so close to turning of legal age?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

We're sorry to hear you're worried about your girlfriend moving. Unfortunately, the only way for her to come live with you is if she had her guardians' permission. If she leaves home before turning 18, her parents could file a runaway report, and if she is staying with you, you could be charged with harboring a runaway. We can tell you generally what we know about the emancipation process. You can pass this information on to her.

We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk.

Best of luck,
      NRS

Ok well I am 17 and already considered a run away because I ran off with my boyfriend who is 18.So I'm wondering if I run off with him again and my parents call in the police department could he go to jail?Could I get into trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to NRS and for sharing a bit about your situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you.

Generally speaking, if you leave home without permission your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home. There is a possibility that your boyfriend could be charged with harboring a runaway which is usually a misdemeanor and not very common. Runaway and harboring protocols can vary by state and police department. Some police departments do not pursue runaway reports for someone who is so close to 18. If this is the case for your area then police would likely not intervene if you left home. You can call your local police department's non-emergency number to anonymously ask about their policies.

We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible at 1-800-786-2929 and through live chat at 1800runaway.org. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options.

im 17 and my parents told me i can go and live with my boyfriends parents since they dont support me dating at all, his parents want me to date him and are willing to take me in. but im scared on when i leave the house they will purposely mark me as i run away, im 6 months into turning 18, what should i do, because if i continue to live with them i can barely see my boyfriend?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive. Doing your own research while thinking about the decision to leave is really responsible and resourceful!

Even if you have permission to leave, you are right that your mom can still report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. While you would not get into any legal trouble, their is a possibility that your mom can have the police return you home. While there is some risk of being returned home, some police departments might be more lenient and not force you to go back home since you are so close to turning 18. It is hard to say for sure what would happen in your situation since it can vary by police department and even individual officer discretion.

Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing it might be helpful so that you can think about what is manageable for you and what isn't. Taking into consideration parts of your plan might be a good idea to think about what the best decision for you is(are you planning on staying their long-term, what's your role in the house, are you going to be working/going to school, will you be paying your share of the bills/rent, what happens if you eventually decide you can't or don't want to live there and they kick you out). Leaving can be a big decision to make and we want to make sure you are as safe as possible.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

We wish you the best,
      NRS

I want to move in with my 21 year old boyfriend and I am 17. My parents and his parents gave us permission to buy we wanted to know if this would be legal. Would it be legal for me to move in with my 21 year old boyfriend while I am 17 since we have parental permission ? We would be living with some of my boyfriends family. We would not be living alone just us two. My mom and dad have spent countless years knowing my boyfriends family as well.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS and sharing your situation. It sounds like you’ve given this a fair amount of thought, and it’s great that you’re seeking additional information and support.

While we at NRS are not legal experts, we can speak generally about this issue. From our understanding, in most states, a youth is considered an adult when they turn 18. Before the legal age of majority, youth are expected to live under the custody of their parents/legal guardians. Adults who harbor a minor who has runaway from home without their parents’ permission can sometimes get into legal trouble if parents file a runaway report and involve the police. However, since your parents have granted permission, this seems less likely.

Before you make a decision, it might be helpful to have a conversation with your parents about the expectations they would have for you while living with your boyfriend’s family. We at NRS can help to facilitate an open dialogue through our conference line service, which you can initiate by calling our 24/7 line at 1-800-RUNAWAY. It may be helpful to check in with your boyfriend’s family as well, to ensure that they are on the same page about things like how long you’ll be living there, any responsibilities they expect of you, or rules in the house. We don’t want to make any assumptions, but you may also want to learn more about the laws in your state around the age of consent. The website Sex in the States can offer state-specific information about your rights as a 17-year old, you can check it out here. https://sexetc.org/action-center/sex-in-the-states/

We hope this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you can give us a call on our hotline or chat with us on our website. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.
      -NRS

Hello,I live in Wa.state, my daughter (1 has asked if her boyfriend (17) could stay with me. He lives in Kansas. Both his parents are given the ok with this. We all verbally agree he has a better life/chance to become better here then there.. My question is, can he get work here being 17 and living with me? Or even go to school? Then theirs in case of a medical emergency too? What do I need to do to make this work legally? I have his parents support 100%. Any info would be so appreciated..

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts by any means, we can answer your questions with the general information we have regarding your concerns.

Since he is 17 years old this young person is still considered a minor, and he might need guardian consent depending on the state policies for things like obtaining a work permit, consenting to medical care, and being enrolled in school. His parents can sign a notarized document giving you temporary guardianship rights which would give you the ability to act as his guardian. Sometimes this is also known as giving the power of attorney for a minor. This is a way for parents/guardians to formally give their permission for their child to live with another adult in a safe place. Temporary guardianship does not generally need to be approved by the courts, as it is simply a way for his parents to formally document their permission and consent for you to act as his guardian. Temporary guardianship is set by parents for a specific amount of time up to 6 months which can be renewed if needed or rescinded by parents at any time. The young person, his parents, and you would all sign this agreement detailing the set amount of time and the rights that his parents are giving to you as the temporary guardian which would then need to be notarized.

We hope this information helps. If you have further questions or concerns regarding this young person, please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org.

We wish you the best,
      NRS

Im 14 in the state of maryland, do i have to get parental consent to leave? my mom kicks me out a lot and right now im living with my uncle but he says if i leave and go live with my big brother, i cant come back and my abusive father will come get me. what can i do?

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out today and posting on our forum. We are here to help in any way we are able to, you’re not alone in this. It was brave of you to reach out for help.

It sounds like you’re going through a lot of pain at home. You never deserve to be abused or neglected. It’s wrong and against the law for your mom to kick you out of the house. We’re glad that you have your older brother to look after you but technically if you go anywhere without your mom’s permission she could report you as a runaway. You can’t be arrested for running away. However, you can report your parents for abuse and neglect. We are here to make that report for you if you’re interested or you can contact Child Help at www.childhelp.org

If you do decide to leave your uncles house we are more than happy to look to see if there’s a runaway shelter in your area, in case you can’t go to your brother’s house.

We would love to talk to you more about your situation and your options. Please don’t hesitate to call us or chat with us on our website www.1800runaway.org . We are open 24/7.

Be safe, NRS

I'm actually in a similar situation. I'm a 17 year old girl turning 18 in December and my mom is abusive when she gets drunk and I'm finally done with it and want to move in with my girlfriend who lives like 2 hours away from me. Her parents are fine with it and want me to go live with them but my parents would never allow it, but last night she actually hit me so hard I couldn't breathe for a sec. I want to move out without having to call the police on her because she only treats me that way and I dont want my little sister to grow up being taking away from her or my mom being in jail.
    I also dont want to get my girlfriends parents in trouble even tho they said its okay.
    I would really like some advice.

Comment

Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X