Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my 17 year old girlfriend live with me without parental consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a 17 year old picks up a 15 years old from her house with out permission can the 17 year old get in trouble for picking her up?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. It's smart of you to ask these questions before taking action.

Unfortunately, we are not legal experts and cannot give you an answer we are certain about. Generally, in the majority of states 17 year olds are still considered minors and you cannot get in trouble for harboring or helping a runaway. However, there are some states that automatically consider 17 years adults in the criminal justice system and many other states have the option to charge youth as adults depending on the situation. If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we can call out to your local police with you and ask how they would typically handle that situation.

We are always here for you by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat at www.1800runaway.org/

Best,

NRS

I was wondering I have a 16-year-old son and his 16-year-old girlfriend had nowhere else to go and her mother has signed over power of attorney to me and has allowed her to move into our home is it against Iowa laws for them to share the same room ?

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thanks for reaching out on our public form. Hopefully by helping you, there are others reading through this thread that can get help in their similar situations.

Your question is very specific to the law and here at the National Runaway Safeline, we aren’t legal experts at all unfortunately. We only go based off of what we here from our callers and talking to the police ourselves. There doesn’t seem to be an issue with how the living arrangements between two minors are, considering that most siblings share rooms in smaller households. Since you have power of attorney over her and mother retaining custodial rights, you are acting in place of her for the time being and can make decisions as you see fit. You might want to run the idea through with everyone in order everyone is okay and comfortable with the idea of them sharing a space together.

Hope that this information helps!

I want to live with my boyfriend and my parents won’t let me someone help

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community-based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis-related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

hi, I live in Michigan. My boyfriend and I have been together for two years now. He is 19 and I am 17. We want to move in together because we are tired of being treated the way we do at home. My mom said it was okay but I want to know if I can move into an apartment with him if I’m not paying for anything. I know I can’t sign a lease or anything but I still want to live with him even though I can’t help pay until I’m 18 which is in 5 months.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It is really responsible of you to ask questions about your situation before you move in with your boyfriend. It sounds like your mom gave you permission to move out, so there would not necessarily be any legal consequences or police intervention because of you leaving home. In regards to living in your boyfriend’s apartment without being on the lease, we are not legal experts so we cannot say for sure if that would be allowed. That would be up to the landlord and the apartment rules if your boyfriend is allowed to have someone else live in the apartment with him. You could have your boyfriend contact his landlord to ask if he is allowed to have a roommate who is not on lease.

Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat at 1800runaway.org 24/7 if you have any other concerns.

Take care,
      NRS

Hi, I live in Texas. My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 2 years now. He is 18, and I am 17 (turning 18 in a little over half a year). We would like to move in together to an apartment or house, but my legal guardians would never approve. Am I allowed to move in with him without their consent?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It’s great that you’ve been in a stable relationship with someone for two years! It’s understandable that you’d like to take the next step and move in together. However, without being emancipated, your legal guardians would need to consent to you moving in with him as you’re still a minor.
      We’re not legal experts, but if you did decide to move in with him without your legal guardians’ consent, and they did contact the police—because he is considered a legal adult in the state of Texas—he could be charged with harboring a runaway. However laws at 17 can be flexible and the best way to find out what might happen is to call the local police department.
      We’re here to help if you’d like to call us at 1800RUNAWAY or chat with us at 1800runaway.org. We can talk more about ways you may be able to cope until your turn 18 or give you tips on talking to your legal guardians when it comes to having your needs heard, if that’s an issue.
      We wish you the best.
      -NRS

If my girlfriend is 19 and I'm 17 and she wants to move into my house and my mom says its ok is it illegal?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It is our understanding that outside of the state of Mississippi, your girlfriend would be considered an adult and would have the right to live lawfully where she pleases. If your girlfriend is over the age of majority in your state, she can live with you if she wants to. If you have any other questions or would like to talk about your situation in greater detail, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

My 17 year old went to his Dads about a month ago. Came home about 4 days and went back. My question is can my 17 year old live with his Dad without my permission if his Dad has no rights? And my son is still in school. We live in Ga

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a pretty difficult situation with your son living with his noncustodial dad.

Here at NRS, we are not experts but we can speak generally. You do have the right to attempt to file him as a runaway with your local police. Since he is 17 in GA, it is up to local police procedures with how they would respond. They could take a report for him and return him home if found. However, they could say it is a civil issue for the courts since he is with his dad, or they could do a safety check and not return him home.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation or if you need support. We are here to listen, here to help.

Best,

NRS

hi im 17 years of age and to summarize id like to live with my boyfriends family. i have a very controlling father who doesnt seek for help when it comes to my issues, he isnt very kind and has complained about me living with him multiple times. the point im making is the fact he doesnt seem to do what a father figure should.. this has caused my depression, anger issues and anxiety. keep in mind my mother is not married with him anymore and shes in WA.. i have her approval and have a strong feeling not my fathers. could i move with just my moms approval?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are in a really tough spot wanting to live with your boyfriend, and wanting to get away from your controlling home that is negatively affecting your mental health. Here at NRS, we want to be a support for you and inform you of what could happen.

Generally speaking, if your mom is in a different state from you and gives you permission to leave, but your dad who you are living with does not give you permission it is possible that you could be reported as a runaway by your dad. If your mom has split custody, you might see if there is anyway that you can stay with her. You might also have your mom call police who are local to you and ask what could happen if she gives you permission to leave but your dad does not give you permission. If she has split custody it could be seen as a civil issue for the courts rather than a runaway situation.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk more about your situation or if you need any support. You mentioned that you are having some mental health issues, and you should not have to go through this all on your own. We commend you for reaching out today, it was very brave, and we encourage you to always reach out to us or your supports when you are feeling this way.

Best,

NRS

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

hey I’m 18 about to turn 19 in a couple of months and my boyfriend is 13 years older than me and I was wondering if I would be able to move in with him with out having any problems like my parents try to call the cops on him or something like that

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. So after reading over your story you are correct there would be nothing they could do to stop you. Though it might be a good idea to run your plan by a friend who cares about you. Moving in with someone is a big deal and should be well thought out. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

Hello, my girlfriend who is turning 18 in about 4 ish months, i want her to move in with me because her parents are super strict and yell at her for minor problems, she got yelled at for having a 3.4 GPA. She doesn't wanna move out because she doesn't like my school idk what to do....please help me?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

Hi, I have a friend that’s 17 he Turns 18 in January and his dad kick him out the house and i want to know if it’s Illegal For Him to live with other family with Parents permission ?

Comment

Hi, I have a friend that’s 17..

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Kicking a minor out of the home is considered neglect and is an illegal act. Your friend has the right to report this incident to the local police and child protective services for assistance. In general a family member providing safe harbor can do so up to twenty-four hours but then must file a report or have the permission of the parent or guardian for continued stay.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and explore options, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

To report child abuse or get information contact Child Help 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org

Take care,
      NRS

Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-11-2019, 02:45 AM.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I am currently experiencing some trouble with my parents like emotional abuse issues. I am 16 years old turnning 17 in January 2019, I’m wondering how I would be able to go about leaving home without my parents consent and how I would be able to move to live in a safe home with my boyfriend who turned 18 August 2019, and have already talked to him and he said he is willing to help me move In and be staying there and helping me finish school and start preparing for the real world. I am wondering what the simplest and easiest way to move would be and I would prefer to be leaving like as soon as possible. My parents here are my real father and stepMother they yell and always tell me I’m wrong and I don’t want to get into any trouble with the law and I mostly don’t want him and his family who I would be going to stay with to be getting into trouble with the law for me going to stay there. I would like to do this without my parents being contacted because if they do then things around my house will be very bad. And I was wondering what the laws are about this in Indiana

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a hard time right now. You always have the right to file a report for the emotional abuse by contacting Child Help- 1800-422-4453.
          We are not legal experts but if you left without permission your parents do have the right to file an abuse report. If the police did find you they most likely would bring you home. You could consider going through the emancipation process. To find out more about the emancipation process you can call your local court house.
          We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. We wish you the best of luck. If you have any more questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support.
          NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X