Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my 17 year old girlfriend live with me without parental consent?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a really hard situation and are unsure of what to do. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for your boyfriend and his parents or whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your parents, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Some departments also handle runaway reports for 17 year olds differently because they are so close to being considered a legal adult. To get the most accurate information you could reach out to them and ask questions about how they handle runaway reports anonymously. Also give us a call if you need help finding your local emergency number.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi, I want to runaway from my family with my boyfriend because they treat me unfairly about the things I do, and never understand what really is going on. My boyfriend is 19 and I’m 17 almost 18 in like 6 months. If I runaway with him, will he get arrested for being older than me and being with a minor ? Or will they just press charges ?

Comment

Reply: Hi, I want to runaway from my family

Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

i am currently 16 about to turn 17 in a month and im pregnant me and my bf are keeping the baby , if i am pregnant with his child am i allowed to live with him without my parents permission or if not that see him without their permission? Bc my parents are strict but he doesnt want me going through this pregnancy alone and i dont want that either

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,
            Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a tricky situation and we’re glad you reached out for support. We are not legal experts, but we can give some general information. In every state, you need to be at least 18 to leave home without permission regardless of being pregnant. For more information about your rights as a parent, you might consider calling Planned Parenthood at 1-800-230-7526.
            Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
            https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
            Stay safe!

I'm 17 year old girl getting married to an 18 year old boy in the state of Arkansas. We have both of our parents consent but my mom is trying to keep me stuck in Kentcuky with her, can I file to live with him as my legal husband??
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-01-2018, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Reply: I'm 17 year old girl getting married to....

Hello,
            Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. While we are not legal experts it seems that if you have both the parents of both of you signing their consent than once you are married you are independent of your parents. Free to do as you wish. To get more specific information about this you might contact the office of your local city hall marriage license department.
            We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
            If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
            We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
            NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Comment

Me and my girlfriend are both 17 and she is pregnant. Because of her home environment she wants to move in with me and my family when the baby is born. She says that she doesn’t want to raise our kid in her parents home. Is she allowed to move in with my family? I personally think that we should have the right to be able to raise our kid where we want but I just want to know the legal stuff.

Comment

• ccsmod10
                ccsmod10 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello,

Thanks for reaching out.

While we aren’t legal experts we can provide some information that might be helpful.Since your girlfriend is a minor, her parents legally can determine where she lives. In some states, a minor who is married will be legally emancipated which would allow them to live separately from their guardians without their guardians’ consent. However, pregnancy doesn’t usually change a minor’s status. If your girlfriend decides to move out anyway, her parents could choose to ask the police to bring her back.

It sounds like you are both in a hard situation and trying to make the best decisions you can. If either of you would like to talk about your situation or find out more details about your state, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us through the website.
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X