Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my 17 year old girlfriend live with me without parental consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a really hard situation and are unsure of what to do. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for your boyfriend and his parents or whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your parents, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Some departments also handle runaway reports for 17 year olds differently because they are so close to being considered a legal adult. To get the most accurate information you could reach out to them and ask questions about how they handle runaway reports anonymously. Also give us a call if you need help finding your local emergency number.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi, I want to runaway from my family with my boyfriend because they treat me unfairly about the things I do, and never understand what really is going on. My boyfriend is 19 and I’m 17 almost 18 in like 6 months. If I runaway with him, will he get arrested for being older than me and being with a minor ? Or will they just press charges ?

Comment

Reply: Hi, I want to runaway from my family

Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

i am currently 16 about to turn 17 in a month and im pregnant me and my bf are keeping the baby , if i am pregnant with his child am i allowed to live with him without my parents permission or if not that see him without their permission? Bc my parents are strict but he doesnt want me going through this pregnancy alone and i dont want that either

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,
            Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a tricky situation and we’re glad you reached out for support. We are not legal experts, but we can give some general information. In every state, you need to be at least 18 to leave home without permission regardless of being pregnant. For more information about your rights as a parent, you might consider calling Planned Parenthood at 1-800-230-7526.
            Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
            https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
            Stay safe!

I'm 17 year old girl getting married to an 18 year old boy in the state of Arkansas. We have both of our parents consent but my mom is trying to keep me stuck in Kentcuky with her, can I file to live with him as my legal husband??
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-01-2018, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Reply: I'm 17 year old girl getting married to....

Hello,
            Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. While we are not legal experts it seems that if you have both the parents of both of you signing their consent than once you are married you are independent of your parents. Free to do as you wish. To get more specific information about this you might contact the office of your local city hall marriage license department.
            We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
            If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
            We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
            NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Comment

Me and my girlfriend are both 17 and she is pregnant. Because of her home environment she wants to move in with me and my family when the baby is born. She says that she doesn’t want to raise our kid in her parents home. Is she allowed to move in with my family? I personally think that we should have the right to be able to raise our kid where we want but I just want to know the legal stuff.

Comment

• ccsmod10
                ccsmod10 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello,

Thanks for reaching out.

While we aren’t legal experts we can provide some information that might be helpful.Since your girlfriend is a minor, her parents legally can determine where she lives. In some states, a minor who is married will be legally emancipated which would allow them to live separately from their guardians without their guardians’ consent. However, pregnancy doesn’t usually change a minor’s status. If your girlfriend decides to move out anyway, her parents could choose to ask the police to bring her back.

It sounds like you are both in a hard situation and trying to make the best decisions you can. If either of you would like to talk about your situation or find out more details about your state, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us through the website.

Is it legalfor my 17 year old daughter to try to leave the state of California and go to Florida without my permission? I am her father as well as her custodial parent.

Comment

• ccsmod9
                ccsmod9 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for reaching out to NRS. Our hope is that we might provide you with resources and tips to help you make a decision in this tough time. Though we are not legal experts, from what we can gather about what you shared your daughter is 17 and still considered a minor, though there is no crime for running away you can file a runaway report and if you or the police know where she is at they can come pick her up no questions asked. The only thing that would deter the police from bringing her back is if there is abuse or some type of neglect at home. Possibly looking further with the police is a good option to explore. Again if you have questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at (1-800-786-2929) or online at (www.1800runaway.org).
                Best Wishes - NRS

I'm from Georgia and about to turn 18. My girlfriend is in a bind with her parents as her mother is verbally abusive and she hates living with her dad too (I wouldn't call him abusive, but I'm not able to be there all the time. I feel threatened by him but I don't believe he could be charged with abusing her or his family.) She is 16 and turning 17 right before I turn 18. She wishes to live with me or on her own. Obviously, being under 18 I doubt she can live alone and she has no job at the moment anyway. What would me and my mother have to do to have her live with us when she turns 17? Her school wouldn't change and all 3 households are within the same city limits. Her dad claims he would let her leave if she wanted to, but moving in with me I don't know if he'd agree with. I'm just assuming neither of her parents will be okay with this. If anyone knows, I would like to know what I could do to possibly do this. It is not as urgent as others, but if she says she wants out, I'm doing everything I can to help her get out.

Comment

• ccsmod6
                ccsmod6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you care a lot about your girlfriend and want her to be somewhere safe. To answer your questions, we aren’t legal experts, but you are right that the age of majority in Georgia is 18 and she would not be an adult until then. Generally, a minor cannot live somewhere else without at least one of their parent’s consent. It is rare, but it is possible that someone who lets a youth stay with them without their parent’s permission can be charged with harboring a runaway. It’s rare, but I do want to let you know it’s a possibility.
                We can tell you some other options you may have though. One is our conference call service. Since it sounds like her dad said he would let her live somewhere else, it may help for your girlfriend to talk to him through our conference call service where one of our liners will be on the line with her and her dad making sure both sides are heard and respected. It can help if she’s afraid to talk to him on her own. Another option may be child abuse reporting if she feels she is in an abusive situation. There’s not really a guarantee she would be removed, and emotional abuse is a bit harder to prove than physical abuse, but it is an option if she feels unsafe. A good number to call if she has questions about what she can expect from that process is ChildHelp, the national child abuse hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or at their website childhelp.org. If her school has a social worker or counselor that might be an option too.
                Again, we appreciate you reaching out to us. If you’d like to discuss this further or if she’d like to do a conference call, feel free to call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out through our chat service at 1800runaway.org.

I'm 17 years old and I just had a child with my boyfriend that is 18. I want to move out my parents house to go live with him. But my mother doesn't let me until I'm 18. And she threatens me to take away my child and have him arrested for kidnapping. So I dont know it that's possible.

Comment

• ccsmod9
                ccsmod9 commented
                Editing a comment
                If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.
                Best of luck,
                NRS

I'm 17 and I have a child with my boyfriend that is about to turn 19. My mom doesn't let my boyfriend to visit me or the baby. So I want to move out but my mom threatens me to take away my child and have him arrested for kidnapping. I dont know the consequences of running away or anything and I tried searching for answers but all I get is that I have to be 18
              I just want my child to be with his father

Comment

• ccsmod9
                ccsmod9 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there,
                Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
                While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police number and ask them what it would look like for you to stay with your boyfriend who is the father of your child. They might be able to tell you more specifics on the law according to what your rights are between you and the father.
                We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
                If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
                Be safe,
                NRS

i am 16 and pregnant with my boyfriends child, my boyfriend is 19 and my parents do not like him. My parents told me if i had gotten pregnant they would kick me out. Can i leave to live with him without parent consent since i am carrying my boyfriends child??

Comment

• ccsmod3
                ccsmod3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, and thanks for reaching out. We’re sorry to hear about your difficult situation, especially since your parents don’t approve of your boyfriend – that’s tough.
                You’ll have custody and responsibility of your baby, just like your parents have of you… Because you’re still considered a minor (even if you’re pregnant or have a baby), they will still be your legal guardians. So if you leave and they report it to the Police, if they know where you are, the Police has to go get you and bring you back home. Additionally, whoever you’re staying with could get in trouble for “harboring a minor without parental consent”, which is considered a crime… Also, because your boyfriend is considered an adult, if your parents should decide to pursue it, he could get charged for having sex with a minor. Since you mentioned that they threatened to kick you out, it’s possible that they wouldn’t bother pursuing anything legal…
                One way of dealing with your situation would be trying to get emancipated. The details vary from state to state, so we can’t help you without knowing where you are; but you can look for info online, or reach out to us again and we’ll be happy to look up the specifics for your state, as well as give you legal referrals close to you, resources that can help you through the emancipation process.
                We’re open 24/7, so please write back to us again if you need, or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re here for you, ok? We wish the best… stay strong!
                NRS

Can I legally move with my 19 year old brother to a different state when I turn 16 only in a legal way though I don’t want any trouble with the law

Comment

• ccsmod5
                ccsmod5 commented
                Editing a comment
                Can I legally move with my 19 year old brother to a different state when I turn 16 only in a legal way though I don’t want any trouble with the law
                Hello! Thank you for your message. We are not legal experts here, but can give some general information. Generally, there are three ways you can leave the home of your legal guardians:
                1) With permission from your legal guardians
                2) Through emancipation, a legal process that makes you your own legal guardian. For this option, you’d need to be able to prove that you can support yourself financially. The first step for this process is to get a lawyer.
                3) If your brother has legal custody of you
                Thank you again for your message. If you need resources or just someone to listen, we are here 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929. We wish you the very best,
                NRS

Hello, I wan to runaway from my house to go live with my boyfrien because my father hit me and i can’t do this anymore, but my boyfriend is 18 and I’m 17 so i don’t know if we can get in trouble.

Comment

• ccsmod15
                ccsmod15 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

Best, NRS

So im 17, turning 18 in december and i want to move in with my 18 year old boyfriend who is coming to live in my city in texas from georgia. he is going to get an apartment but i know my parents wont let me move in because theyre both retired and currently active duty. how do i approach this because i dont want to wait 7 months to move out.

Comment

• ccsmod1
                ccsmod1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home without prior permission your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents. If a runaway report has been filed and you are found at your boyfriends, he could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents view the situation. Since police intervention can vary so much it might be a good idea to reach out to your local nonemergency police line (you can normally dial out to 311) to see what your local policy is.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
                NRS
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X