Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run away

I'm 10 and I want to run away. My dad beats me all the time. My mom agrees that he should beat me. I hate him. I have money and other things. But is it legal for me to run away.

RE: I want to run away

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry that you are in an environment where you are being beaten instead of loved and appreciated. You deserve to be somewhere where you are supported for being you.

You mentioned that you are 10 and wanting to run away. We are not legal experts here at the National Runaway Safeline, however I can speak in general terms if that’s ok. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. This means that if your parents were to file a runaway report and the police were to find you, the police would most likely bring you back to your parents. On another note, because you are a minor, most shelters will at least have to notify your parents that you are at the shelter or have their consent for you being there.

We think it’s great that you are trying to put a plan together and think through your options. If you ever want to talk you can call us at 18007862929. We can talk with you and help you brainstorm some options for you. You can also chat with us on our website from 4:30-11:30pm every day. We hope that this helped and look forward to hearing from you.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X