•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, and sharing your story with us. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now, and we want you to know you are not alone we are here to help.
    Having suicidal thoughts can be really scary and can make you feel lonely. We want you to know that you are valuable and you are worth living. Suicide is a permanent decision to a temporary situation. If you are feeling suicidal or just need someone to talk to please contact The National Suicide Prevention Hotline. They can be reached at: 1800-273-8255. There is always someone willing to listen and willing to provide support.
    And suffering from Bipolar Disorder can be really hard and we are sorry your parents are not being supportive. One option would be to try and talk with your parents about seeing a mental health professional where you can get the help you need. Another great resource is called NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses). They can provide you with resources and referrals, they can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI. You can also consider talking to a school counselor, even though many schools are out due to COVID-19 many school counselors are still meeting with students.
    Also you do not deserve to be treated like the way you described by your parents or by anyone. If you feel like this is abuse you do have the right to make a report. One option would be to call Child Help at: 1800-422-4453. Another option is you could always contact us through chat or by phone and we could help legal issue you with making a report.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to help and provide options to you. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I a, 16 years old and very unhappy in my home, I think about suicide often. I want to get away so I can be happier. I suffer from bipolar depression my parents know but do not help and are convinced it is all made up in my head. I do get hit by them often and told I am a waste of space and better off dead. I just want to get away and be happy.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thank you so much for reaching out here at National Runaway Safeline! We are always here to help empower and support youth in the best way we can. This situation sounds really difficult and we can imagine it would be very stressful to deal with. Even though we are not legal experets here are NRS, we will do our best to answer this question. The legal age of an adult in Indiana is 18, however there are not any laws that say running away is illegal. Your legal gaurdian could report you as a runaway to the local law enforement, but all that would mean is that if the police found you they would have to return you to the residence of your gaurdian, you would not get in any legal trouble. Another important thing to note is that even though there are no laws in Indiana about harboring a runaway, if you choose to stay with a friend or another family member, they could get in some legal trouble if your parent or guardian claim that they are depriving them of their custody or rights as a parent. You mentioned in your message that your dad is abusive. Dealing with abuse can be a really overwhelming and painful thing and if you ever need more support with that you can always call us at 1-800-786-2929 or you can all the Child Help National Child Abuse hotline at 1-800-422-4453. We can help you file an abuse report, find whatever resources you may need, or just listen if you ever want to talk. We are 24/7, non-judgemental, confidential, and non-directive.

Guest replied
    I recently found out that I may be pregnant but if its 100% true my dad has told me multiple times that he will kill the guy who did it then bury me alive.I'm 17 and have multiple places I could go but I don't want to get into any legal trouble if my dad were to find me ? what should I do because my dad got custody of me when I was 10 and he was abusive from the beginning

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and you are doing great by reaching out for help.

It sounds like you are going through a lot and this is not your fault. You matter and your life is worth living. You shouldn't have to go through this. If you are ever at risk of hurting yourself you can call 911 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273- TALK.
    It is not ok for your mom to take you to a doctor. Talking to your school counselor can be helpful in many situations. Doing things you enjoy everyday, exercising, listening to music, journaling, reading, meditation can be some good alternatives. Developing a plan as to how you would handle stressful events when you feel like hurting yourself can be helpful. You can find more help resources at https://twloha.com/find-help/ and https://twloha.com/find-help/24-hour-helplines/.

You are not alone and we are here to help you through this hard time. If you chose you can call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-786-2929 and we would be happy to just listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources.

You are acting strong by reaching out for help. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I am 16 and I was adopted my my great aunt and uncle when I was 6. Over the years I have gotten in trouble for the smallest of things and would be grounded for long periods of times I have a job that I am currently only working part time but can always switch to full time if needed my plan is to leave my house tomorrow and go stay with my best friend and her parents, both of her parents are ok with it I just don’t want them to get into legal trouble because my parents would most likely call the police because they have threatened to do so on numerous of occasions.
    recently I have made some new friends that actually care about me and have realized that my situation at home is not ok and are starting to get concerned and are on the verge of making a police report. About a week ago my mom told me I was never allowed to see or talk to my friends ever again and told my if I do that I would be beyond in trouble threatening to call the police on me and have me sent to a group home because she doesn’t want to deal with me anymore she didn’t let me say goodbye to them and made my block them on everything because she said it was for my own good then she proceeded to ground me until I’m 18

My whole life my mom has always told me that I was so fat that I was going to burst and that I was just my my biological mother. she also refused to take me to a doctor because I thought I was dying because I had no motivation to do anything and had a serious issue with cutting I finally had enough and decided to commit suicide and left the house in the middle of the night and got picked up by my biological mother and I planned to leave there in the morning and cut my wrists in the woods where nobody would find my in time, the police were called and I was brought home and the police forced my mom to take me to a psychiatrist where I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety but my mom still refuses to acknowledge that I have it and just calls me lazy. anytime something goes wrong in my house it is apparently all my fault and I get punished for it, I just feel like a total failure to my family and if I don’t get out this way the only other way I can think of getting out is suicide.

I don’t know what to do and could really use some additional help in this situation.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. We are sorry you are going through a rough time with your parents. We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. Because you are a minor if your parents did not give you permission to leave they do have the right to file a runaway report and if the police find you they most likely would return you back home. One option you could consider is asking your parents. We know that you mentioned you are scared to ask them. At NRS we offer conference calling where if you call us we can help you have that conversation with your parents. If they do not give permission you would probably have to go through with the emancipation process.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 16 years old and live in Indiana and my parents treat me badly. I don't want to go through the legal process if emancipation unless I have to. My aunt said I could live with her which is good because it is safe and she lives within my school district. Could I do this? I'm scared to ask my parents because they would make my life hell in the meantime.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Ok so I'm 16

Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mother. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern.
    You do not deserve to be hit by anyone. It’s not your fault that this happens. There are laws to protect you from abuse. If you would like to make a child abuse report contact Child Help USA 1-800-4222-4453
    www.childhelp.org this an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 9-1-1 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ok so I’m 16 and I want to file for emancipation or run away because my mom always berates me and her boyfriend will hit me every once in a while when I get in trouble or he’s mad. I have and keep pretty good grades but I got a D in one class and my mom flipped talking about how I was grounded even though all my other classes where good. She’s always calling me a dumb ass and her bf always insults me and my sister. I could always stay with my aunt and she has already offered to take me from my mom so I was just wondering how I could do that and not be forced to come back until I wanted to.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 06-07-2019, 04:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension - it's not OK for your mother and brothers to be treating you like that. Despite the result from previous CPS investigations you always have the right to file another report - especially if you are worried about your baby's safety. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS by to answer your question, generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home ( no matter how long you'll be gone) your mom can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mother. Every situation is different and police response can vary depending on your town so, it may be worthwhile to call your local nonemergency police line (you can usually dial 311) to check on local policy.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I have been looking at Indiana's Legal definitions to running away. Every-time I look it up I see a young minor who has left home without consent and does not plan to return.In that case does it mean if I left (I am 15,16 in June) that I may leave home for one weekend with full intent on returning,that it is not legally running away?I would like to leave for the weekend to get away from my stressful household and my family will know where I am and have numbers to contact me if need be.So can they still press me for charges as a run away if the only thing is I don't have consent to go where I am going but they know where I am and how to get a hold of me in emergency.Again I have full intention on coming back and will be staying with my baby's dad side of the family as of I am pregnant.I have "Ran away"before which means I went to a friends house to get CPS because of verbal and physical abuse in home,and again the same night for "threatening to leave my house" when in reality I was standing outside and waiting for my own police because I was about to have a really bad panic attack.Even though nothing happened in the CPS case because my mother made me out to sound insane pretty much,and there hasnt been physical abuse there has still been alot of verbal abuse,especially now that I am pregnant.I also have little brothers who like to start physical fights with me and have hit me in the stomach and the side more then once.What I am asking is,if I have full intent on coming back and my mother has all information I can give her am I still legally "Running-away"?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

We are unsure about your situation, but if are referring to running away as a minor, you generally would not be arrested. Running away is a status offense meaning something you cannot do due to your age, rather than being illegal. If you are caught as a runaway you generally would be returned home rather than going to jail.

If you would like to talk in detail about your situation please do not hesitate to call or chat us: 1800runaway.org; 1800-RUNAWAY.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Will i go to jail

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and for sharing your story with us. We are sorry to hear about your situation. Although NRS is not a legal agency, we can try to give a general idea of possible outcomes if you were to harbor your niece. As your niece is considered a minor in her state, she is still under her parents’ guardianship, therefore at any point when she is gone, they are legally within their rights to file a runaway report. Being a runaway is a status offense, and while she would not be charged with a crime, if police came across her, they would probably return her home. Guardians could also potentially press charges against people who took her into their care for “harboring a runaway” (your part of the question); these charges would be misdemeanors, but still criminal offenses. Again, this would be at her mother’s behest, and not an automatic charge.

We would love to talk more about the details of your situation so that we can work towards a solution that you find acceptable. Some states may have more specific laws we do not know about. Other options could be to call your niece’s county police non-emergency number if you would like, as well as to call us for legal resources. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
    We hope this information was helpful and take care.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X