No announcement yet.

16 in Indiana

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Reply: Ok so I'm 16

    Hi there,

    You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mother. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern.
    You do not deserve to be hit by anyone. It’s not your fault that this happens. There are laws to protect you from abuse. If you would like to make a child abuse report contact Child Help USA 1-800-4222-4453 this an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

    Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 9-1-1 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

    Be safe,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #17
      I am 16 years old and live in Indiana and my parents treat me badly. I don't want to go through the legal process if emancipation unless I have to. My aunt said I could live with her which is good because it is safe and she lives within my school district. Could I do this? I'm scared to ask my parents because they would make my life hell in the meantime.


      • ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. We are sorry you are going through a rough time with your parents. We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. Because you are a minor if your parents did not give you permission to leave they do have the right to file a runaway report and if the police find you they most likely would return you back home. One option you could consider is asking your parents. We know that you mentioned you are scared to ask them. At NRS we offer conference calling where if you call us we can help you have that conversation with your parents. If they do not give permission you would probably have to go through with the emancipation process.
        We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove