•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and for sharing a bit about your situation. It sounds like home has not been safe, so its totally understandable to consider leaving.

Leaving can be a big decision to make, but we want you to know that we are here to help as a support for you as you take your next steps. Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing might be a good idea so that you can think about what will and will not be possible and work for you. Considering certain factors and aspects for your plan might help you make your decisions about your next steps: where are you going to be living, what's your role in the house, are you going to be working/going to school, will you be paying your share of the bills/rent, a back up plan in case your living arrangement does not work out and you need to leave. Taking this step toward independence can be a huge step to take and we want you to be as safe as possible when making your decision.

A helpful step is to start reaching out to friends and family members you might be able to stay with. Since you are still a minor you would not be able to rent your own space until you reach 18 (the age of majority in most states when you are considered a legal adult). If you are in need of any resources like shelters, transitional living programs, or counseling you can always reach out to our hotline or use our live chat services.

In the event that you do leave, your dad can report you as a runaway to the police. It is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if you come into contact with law enforcement or if your dad knows where you are staying, he can ask that police return you home. Some police departments do not always pursue runaway reports for someone so close to turning 18 and might not force you to return home. You can call the local police department's non-emergency number to ask about their runaway protocol.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello I am 17 I turn 18 in December and I want to run away I can’t be here anymore I am failing English and my dad said he is going to whip me with his belt can I run away I have a job and I have 4000$ in my savings

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you're frustrated because your parents aren't giving you access to the documents you need to live independently.

We are not legal experts, but as far as we know, it is not illegal for your parents to withhold those documents from you because you're a minor. Once you turn 18 all of your vital documents (birth certificate, social security card, state ID) are owned by you unequivocally.

To get information on getting duplicate birth certificate and social security card you might consider searching online by typing birth certificate duplicate and then the same for Social Security administration. It should detail what is needed to replace those documents.

Another option you may have is to ask a school administrator if they could make a copy of your birth certificate for you. You might be able to explain the situation to them and see if they'll give you access, since most schools require those documents for enrollment.

There might be other options available to you depending on your situation. If you want to explore what those options, you can reach out to us on out chat line www.1800RUNAWAY.org or by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We hope you hear from you!
    Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 16 almost 17 and my mom refuses to give me my social security card and birth certificate what can I do ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificates and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what documents are necessary to obtain your birth certificate. Other things that you can try is to contact the vital recorder office in your city and state to try to order a duplicate birth certificate or have another adult (usually family) help request one for you.

Guest replied
    I’m 19 years old but my parents not gaving me my documents I need help to get

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you want to be a little more independent and take steps to open your own bank account. It is really unfair that your dad is preventing you from doing this by with holding your passport. While you are under the age of 18, your dad does get to make certain decisions for you and hold onto documents like a passport for you.

Perhaps talking to your dad more about why opening an account is important to you to see if he is willing to compromise will help. Having these conversations can definitely be difficult and we are here to help. We can facilitate a conference call between you and your dad to make sure that your voice and needs are being heard. If you want to explore this option further you can call our hotline anytime at 800-786-2929.

We want to be a support for you while you navigate these issues with your dad. You can reach out anytime, 24/7, by phone or chat if you would like tot talk more in detail about your situation.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi. i am 16 and i need to make a bank account. my dad doesn't want to make one with me and so ill be making one by myself. i need my passport for that but he wont give it to me, is he legally allowed to do that?

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My sister is 16 and turning 17 in December my mum is refusing to give the passport even though “removed from the family.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear you are dealing with a difficult situation with your grandma. We are by no means legal experts, and every case is different. According to most states, once you turn 18 you are considered a legal adult and have say in where you live- we can’t say for certain if these documents she is talking about are real or not- but you can always call your local non-emergency number and ask how they would handle this situation. You can also give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 and we would be happy to explore your situation more in detail.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Ok so I'm 17 and I turn 18 in March and my grandma (who is my guardian atm) has told me that she has a court document that says she has control of me until I'm either 18 or until I graduate whichever come last, is that the way it suppose to be or is it supposed to be whichever comes first?? Bc I won't graduate until I'm 19 and the way I have been raised....well there's a lot of abuse there and I have places to go when I'm 18 but she keeps telling me that if she has to she will take me to court when I'm 18 and make me stay with her, can she even do that? I mean once we turn 18 I'm a legal adult and she would be holding me there against my will, which may I add is against the law isn't it?? I will not stay in that house any longer than I have to, so is she telling the truth abt the documents or is she scaring me??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi, thank you for reaching out to us. We are glad that you did. It sounds like your situation at home is stressful. When you are trying to study, and your parents want you to do things around the house which effects your grades, which makes your parents not believe in you. We are sorry that you are going through all of this.
    We are glad that your fiancé is supportive of you and it sounds like they are really there for you. We aren’t legal experts, so how leaving home would affect your immigration status, we don’t know. Maybe you can use google to find a community group that matches your background to help answer that question. It is not illegal to run away, but it is possible that your status could be effected.
    If you do run away, your parents have the right to file a runaway report with the police. If they know where you are, they can ask the police to bring you home. It would be helpful to have a conversation with you so either by phone or chat because by talking and listening to you, we can help you identify the options you have.
    You can reach out to us via our phone hotline at 1-800-runaway (1-800-786-2929) or our live chat service available at 1800runaway.org We hope to hear from you soon.
    Sincerely, NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 17 year olds and I have a green card and at home things aren’t great and my fiancé his a American citizen And he wants to help me move out but I don’t think I can wait until 18 that’s 9 months my parents don’t believe in me and I’m thinks I believe and this is a awful situation for me to be in next year it’s gonna be my last year of school and ima need to be focus on my study’s but my parents complain that I have C’s and that is because I’m always trynna study but when I do that they always want me to do everything around the house...how can I leave this house at 17 and with a green card please help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: http://childhelpinternational.com/

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Best, NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X