Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    My Girlfriends is 17 and pregnant and her mother will not give her have SSN card, she has moved out last year and we need to our taxes. Is there away we can make her mother give it to her.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

It sounds like you’re really having a difficult time in your home establishing independence for yourself. This is really unfortunate. We thank you for sharing this information with us and we hope to help.

You mention that your mother is preventing you from getting your social security number. Because you are under 18, it may be more difficult to acquire your social security number, but hopefully these resources can help you figure out a way to either re-apply for a social security card, or can help you figure out if there is some other way to obtain your SSN. This links you to the contact page for the Social Security Administration: https://www.ssa.gov/agency/contact/ and this page links you to a page that shows you what documents you need as a minor to apply for a SSN https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm. Hopefully these resources can provide you with helpful information.

Also, it’s totally understandable that this situation makes you mad. If you ever want to talk about how this situation is affecting your independence, or if you ever just want to vent about your home life, we invite you to all us at 1-800-786-2929. We are here to support you and to provide resources for you as appropriate.

You also mention wanting to leave your family. Many youth choose to run away, and we operate to keep youth as safe as possible if this is something they wish to do. If you are seriously contemplating running away, it may be helpful to come up with a plan for how you would acquire shelter and food. If you would like us to help locate shelters or food pantries in your area, then please give us a call, and we would be more than happy to. We also would be able to help you talk through running away and help you decide for yourself if it is the best option for you.

It also may be helpful for you to know a little bit about the logistics of running away. When a youth runs away, their parents can file a runaway report on the youth. If the police come into contact with that youth, then they will likely just bring the youth home. This is because running away is a status offense rather than a criminal offense. This means that it’s not illegal for a youth to run away, and that the consequences for running away are much less severe than they are for criminal offenses. Therefore, it is unlikely you would ever be arrested or detained for running away from home. We do want to mention, however, that we are not legal experts, so the information that we provide is only general, and may not align with how the laws are written and enforced in your area.

We thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your experiences with us. We wish you the best of luck and invite you to contact us for anything you may need in the future.

Guest replied
    im am 17 and i am tired of depending on my mom for everything but she wont give me my ssc number so i can get a job and its making me mad and i just wanna leave this family cause i get nothing but hate

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like have a trip planned but you your parents are refusing you give you your passport. It must be really frustrating to have this trip planned out but your fate rest in the hands of your parents. We are not legal experts but to our knowledge since you are 18 you passport becomes your legal documentation. Yes you are right you can try contacting your local non-emergency police to see if they can assist you. You can also call us if you think that there is anything that we can do to help your situation. 1-800-786-2929
    Good Luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    If you want to go to a trip that requires your passport and your 18 , can they legally hold onto your information? My parents refuse to give me any information because they know I've paid for my ticket but still refuse, do I call the non emergency police to assist me?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    replied
    re: im need my papers

Hi there,

Thanks for posting here today. It sounds like you’re working on putting together a plan to make sure that you are able to support yourself and your family. That’s impressive and really great. We’re here to support you in that. You’re asking a good question so let’s see how we can help you out.

You have a right to your identifying documents. So you have the right to your birth certificate and social security card. If your parents are refusing to give them to you, you can contact the police to have them come to your parent’s house with you to get those papers. You can also try to contact your high school to see if they have your transcripts or your paperwork on file.

We are a little unclear as to what your question is though. If you’d like to give us a call or chat with us, we would be able to explore with you a little bit more about what’s going on and maybe provide you with more solid options for you. You can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    im need my papers

Im 17 i ask my parent to give me my birth certificate and my social because my girl friend pregnant and i need to start working

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    RE: I'm recently 17 and about to turn 18 and my parent wont let me leave

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation. Once you turn 18, your parents do not have the legal right to withhold your legal documents from you. If they refuse to give you your documents, you have the right to call the police for assistance. If you would like some more information, you might think about calling the police non-emergency number to ask questions about how they might handle this situation. If you have any more questions, please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. We are looking forward to hearing from you, and wish you the best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• I'm recently 17 and about to turn 18 and my parent wont let me leave

I'm an immigration came from VietNam on 2010, I will turn 18 on November 17,2014. I want to leave my parent because I feel like I can't stay in this family anymore. I decide to go back to my home country but in hand my parent is holding all my paper work which is my passport, greencard, birth certificate and social security. They said that they won't give me back any paper work even I'm turn 18, so it mean I can't leave the house or the country forever if they doing that. If I call the police and tell them that I'm 18 and legally adult can they help me take back my paper work so I can leave? or is there anyway to make them give me back my paper work? please help, I don't know what to do anymore
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X