No announcement yet.

I'm recently 17 and about to turn 18 and my parent wont let me leave

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I'm 17 turning 18 soon and my parents won't let me leave they are trying to hold me a against my will, they took my passport, ID and healthcare card. I want to go home and live with my bf and my brothers. I don't know what to do anymore. They moved me to the US I'm a Canadian and I can't get a job and I'm tired of depending on them all the time, my father wanted to cut up my passport and I would have nothing to show I'm a canadian citizen. Help please


    • ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did.
      Your situation sounds awful and we are sorry that you have to go through this. At 18, if that is the age of majority in your state, you can leave and they have no legal way to have you returned or to force you back.
      The part about your passport and documents is more complicated and we would want to talk with you further about this. Maybe there is a Canadian Emabassy or Consulate in your state; maybe your brothers can contact the Canadian government on your behalf.
      We hope that we can talk to you further either by phone at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or live chat via We are here for you 24/7 to listen and help.
      We truly hope to hear from you by phone or chat.
      Sincerely, NRS

  • #62
    Hi guys,

    In a couple of weeks I will turn 18 and I want to leave back to my home country as soon as I can hop on the next free flight. I can not live in this household anymore as it is mentally draining and costs all energy that I have, I wake up in fear everyday. I told my parents about me wanting to leave when I turn 18 and although my father understands and supports my decision right now, my mother does not. At the end of the day I am unsure of whether my father will give me my passport or not. I wanted to ask if it's legal for your legal guidance to keep your documents? and if not what can I do about it?


    • ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

      Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

      We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

      Be safe,

  • #63
    im 17 and i was kicked out bye my step dad so i left and now they are holding back my ss card from me what do i do


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you are in a tough situation and it’s great that you reached out for help.

      You say in your post that you were kicked out by your step-father and left home because of that. Are you safe and do you have a safe place to stay? If you are in need of assistance or need help finding a shelter or safe place to stay, please call in to 1-800-runaway(786-2929) and we would be happy to help you locate somewhere to stay.

      With your SS card, given that you are under the age of 18, this might be a sticky situation. While we are not legal experts, we would be happy to link you with services that could give you more information to whether or not they can hold you SS card from you.

      Please feel free to chat in at or call us at 1-800-runaway(786-2929) if you would like any assistance in locating shelters or legal assistance. We would be happy to speak with you real time about the situation you are experiencing and to help in whatever way we can.

  • #64
    im 17 and my parents forced my to move out 5 months ago. they refuse to give me my birth certificate or my social security card. if i call my local non emergency police department, will they be able to help me obtain it?


    • ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation. It sounds like there has been a lot that you have been faced with. Because you are under 18, you are more than likely still considered a minor. This means your parents have an obligation to care for you and ensure you have a safe place to live. If they forced you out and did not arrange an alternative living arrangement, you may be able to report them to police or child protective services for neglect.

      You mentioned having difficulty getting your birth certificate and social security card from your parents. While you are entitled to your documents, it can be very difficult to force parents to give you the copies they possess. It could be helpful to call the local non-emergency police line to learn more how they might be able to help. However, it is likely they will only be able to be present while you ask your parents to give you your documents. The police will be present to ensure that the interaction does not escalate to a violent altercation. Unfortunately, you may find the police are unable to force your parents to provide the documents.

      The National Network for Youth ( published a field guide to aid young people in obtaining state IDs and copies of vital documents. The document can tell you more about how you can start this process in your state:

      We are available 24/7 by phone and live chat for immediate support if you would like to talk more about your situation.

      Good luck,

  • #65
    Hi, I'm currently 17, next year I will be 18 and my parents have kicked me out of the house. They are both holding my ssn away from me, plus I have no documents tax reports, or no person ID for me to claim my identity and ss. I am really trying to work to provide for myself and to by next year have my own place and transportation. Can you please please help me with how to deal with my situation as soon as possible.


    • ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thanks for reaching out, we hope to help as best we can. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificates and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here ( Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what documents are necessary to obtain your birth certificate. Other things that you can try is to contact the vital recorder office in your city and state to try to order a duplicate birth certificate or have another adult (usually family) help request one for you. In this case, we understand it may be difficult to have a family member help but the clerk’s office may be able to inform you of ways around this.
      We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
      We look forward to hearing from you! Please reach out via chat or phone call, as we can only answer once through forums/emails.

      Stay strong,
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove