No announcement yet.

I'm recently 17 and about to turn 18 and my parent wont let me leave

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am over 18 and had
    ​my mom hold on to my state ID and now that I'm asking for it she won't give it to me. Is that legal?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello After reading your post we noticed that it had a similar theme to other users. We have attached the reply to this threat. If you have any other follow-up questions please feel free to give us a call. 1-800-786-2929
      Originally posted by Guest View Post
      I'm 18 and moved out of my parents house. Well more like they kicked me out. I want to get a job but need my birth certificate. I already have my social security card. My mom refuses to give me my birth certificate and is telling me that it is her's and my dads property, and that I do not have the right to demand them give me my birth certificate.

Hi there,
      Thanks so much for contacting us about this issue. While we're not legal experts, we're almost certain that your parents do not own your birth certificate. You may feel free to call your non-emergency police department and confirm this information, and see what other sorts of actions you/they can take to get your certificate back. Additionally, you may find this resource helpful: https://www.usa.gov/replace-vital-documents.
      Best,
      NRS

I’m 16 and my mom is not letting me have my social se card what can I do

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We are not a legal resource, so you may want to contact the nearest social security administration office near you, as we are not acquainted with the ins-and-outs of social security entitlements.

Best,
      NRS

I’m 17, turning 18 in October. My mom doesn’t want me to work but I need the job because I’m moving out as soon as I’m 18. Do I have any rights to be able to keep my job if my mom doesn’t want me to?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your life, especially at home. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

Legally you are a minor and under your guardian’s supervision until you are 18, or are emancipated by a court of law. As far as keeping your job, if your state requires you to have a workers permit, your mom could take that back. Other than that, your mom shouldn’t be able to necessarily keep you from working, unless you left the house without her permission. Which could lead to a runaway report but it’s unlikely. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to move out of your house. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you. You may also want to call your local police station and ask them your questions about your job because they are experts of your state laws.

We’re here if you’d like to talk more about what’s going on at home. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

Hi I’m 17 years old my mom won’t allow me to see my dad is it illegal if I leave without her permission and see him?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It seems like there must be a lot going on at your moms home if you’re thinking about going to live with your dad. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

We aren’t legal experts here by any means, so we can only talk in general about what the rules/laws are for runaways. Since it sounds like both of your parents aren’t on the same page with letting you move from one house to the other, just leaving might be a little difficult. One parent usually gets awarded primary custody and the other secondary custody assuming your mom has custody since you’ve been living with her. So if your father were to just come and get you, he might be get in trouble with the law himself. An option you may want to consider is reaching out to a legal aid and asking some questions regarding what it would take in order for you mother to regain custody of you. If you are able to give us a call, we would be more than willing to provide you with a resource where you will be able to do so.

We hope that we were able to help you think a little more about your options and brainstorm some more with you, if you feel like you would still need some more support or go through some more options, please feel free to reach out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we are here 24/7. We also have a live chat service which is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

I’m 17 about to turn 18 and I’m at my dads house and I don’t want to be here I want to go to my moms house who live 8 minutes away but he won’t let me leave. She is willing to come get me but according to him I’m not leaving. He says I have no say in it either. I don’t really think this is ok

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are glad you took the time to share your situation with us and ask for support. We understand you want to go be with your mom but frustrated your dad will not let you go. We are wondering would feel more comfortable living with your mom rather than your dad?

Though we are not legal experts and cannot provide general information, it might be helpful to contact someone who might be able to answer some legal questions about living circumstances. Maybe asking a general legal aid office in your area. If you give us a call we can look into if there is legal aid in your area using our resource database. But mostly importantly it is important to know who your legal guardian is. Because if your mom does not have legal custody of you and you go to live with her, you could be considered a runaway and your dad would have the right to file a runaway police report, since you are under the age of 18. However, when you turn 18 years old, in most states you will be able to go anywhere you please to live.

But if your mom does have legal custody over you, you could have a say in the matter. Have you considered continuing the discussion with your dad to see if some compromise can be made? We do have a conference call service here at National Runaway Safeline, where we can have you on one line and your dad on another line and the call center liner who answered your call could moderate the conversation.

We’re glad you reached out to us. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929. Best of luck.

I’m currently a month away from turning 18 pregnant with my second baby , I’m undocumented but was brought here when I was a year old & been here my whole life is there any way of me gettting a ssn

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      We want to thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that life can be difficult and often times hard. We want you to know that we are here to listen and help. From what we gather abot your story it must be hard to be going through that and feel a bit stressed.
      After reading over your situation we do have to state that although we are not legal experts we can offer legal resources to help with certain issues like that. If you would like more information on more specific resources feel free to call us at our call line (1-800-786-2929).
      Again thanks so much for reaching out to us. We know it takes a lot to seek out help and advice. We hope that the options mentioned above are helpful and can help pave a way positive solution to the situation you find yourself in. If you do happen to have more questions or concerns please do not hesitate to call us at (1-800-786-2929) or online on our chat option at www.1800runaway.org.
      Best Wishes – NRS

If I knew about the runaway hotline would of used it when I turned 18. Now stuck living with my parents and I am 22 who can’t land a job and my mom won’t hand over my birth certificate...

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out. Typically, you can get a copy of your birth certificate from your local vital records office. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 if you have additional questions or need housing resources.
      --NRS

I ran away from my foster home at 16 & I just recently turned 18 about a month ago. I have no information on my past social worker at all. Who can I reach out to in order to get my vital documents? What is the first step I take?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation. Once you turn 18, your parents do not have the legal right to withhold your legal documents from you. If they refuse to give you your documents, you have the right to call the police for assistance. If you would like some more information, you might think about calling the police non-emergency number to ask questions about how they might handle this situation.
      For your vital records, you may find this link helpful for determining how to obtain new copies of these vital records: https://www.usa.gov/replace-vital-documents#item-36582. These records include passports, social security cards, IDs, birth certificates, etc. We hope that this link helps you determine the next steps for obtaining these documents if you cannot get them from your parents.
      If you have any more questions, please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. We are looking forward to hearing from you, and wish you the best of luck!

I get threatened and humiliated at home when I try to talk about leaving the house, I’m 16 and I want to eventually move out, I was offered a place to stay in the US but I can’t legally move there because my mother will not sign for a passport.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
      We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Hi I’m 17, going to be 18 soon, anyway, I’m applying for a job and going to say I’m 18, but will need to put my SSN down, will thay ruin it? Will they see that I’m 17?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We can understand you are going through a difficult time. Please know that our hope is to help provide you with resources and tips so that you can make a decision that you feel is best for you.
      From what we gather about your situation it seems like you are trying to get a job. From what we can gather though we are not legal experts we can tell you that lying on any occasion is not okay with the law. If you were to lie there might be some other repercussions. Perhaps seeking legal advice can also benefit you.
      If you have any more questions or concerns please do not hesitate to call us at (1-800-786-2929) or online through our chat option at (www.1800runaway.org)
      Best Wishes - NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X