Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Away Questions

Hello I'm 16 years old and I live a great life supportive mom and dad for whatever I do that is productive, I also have 2 brothers; 10 and 2. The only thing is that my father is very hypocritical, I am sick of it at this point at it has been nothing but me being grounded and restricted for the past 6-8 months now. My dad is always making assumptions and never gives me the opportunity to state the truth he is so stubborn that even when I am telling the truth he calls me a liar and makes false accusations. Overall I am just sick of being accused of stuff and having my dad be hypocritical. I have a pretty steady income and I plan on going to school once it starts up next week. I also have a few options for places I can stay, I have left before but my mom then threatens to call the police. I dont really care if the police look for me I just want to make sure that my record is going to stay clean. I also want to know if it is really even worth it for me to run away or if I should just stick it through for another 2 years. Also if I do leave I do not plan on it being a permanent thing I just want to prove to my father that I do not need him and that he is not always right. I have been contemplating leaving for a few months now and have a solid plab with backup options. Please, any response would be very appreciated.

RE: Running Away Questions

Hello,

Thank you for getting into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We appreciate that time that you took to come to us and tell us what has been going on. From the sounds of things it sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now living at home with your father. Having to be blamed for everything, even things that you haven’t even done can be really frustrating. You certainly don’t deserve to be treated that way, especially if you’re doing all that you can to make the situation more bearable by trying to explain yourself and your side of things.

It sounds like you have been thinking about running away for quite awhile now; a few months. Since you are under the age of majority for your state and are considered still a minor, your father or mother does have the right to file a runaway report of you. What that means is that if a police officer were to pick you, they would see that you have a report filed under your name and take you back home or hold you until arrangements can be made to take you back home. Since running away isn’t against the law (it’s a statues offensive), so it wouldn’t be on your permanent recorded or anything. Keep in mind that these are just the general rules that apply to most states, but since we aren’t legal experts we can’t say anything for certain. Every states might have different laws on how runaway children are handled; sort of a case by case thing. So you always have the option to get into contact with your local non-emergency police number and ask them hypothetical questions about runways and how they are handled in that specific state. This should give you a more direct answer. What do you think your father would do if you were to leave and run away from home?

Once again thank you for writing into the NRS, we are always here to listen and here to help you with everything we can. You can also call into our 24hour hotline (1.800.RUNAWAY) for a more immediate response, as well as connect you to some resources that we might have on hand. Another service that we offer here at the NRS is our chat room which is offered from 4:30pm to 11:30pm/CST (www.1800RUNAWAY.org). If you feel more comfortable with that opinion we are more than welcome to contact us through there.

Look forward to talking with you and best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X