No announcement yet.

17 want to leave my house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 want to leave my house

    My mom doesn't do anything for me. I really believe she just wants me "home" for the child support. I lived with my boyfriend pretty much over summer and now that schools starting she's starting to be so strict and unreasonable. She drinks almost every night. I want to leave but my stepsister ranaway once and my mom and "stepdad" called the cops on her and got her arrested in school. I need help. I want out of that house but don't know how. If my dad said it was okay can the cops still do anything? Please help me as soon as possible. I'm having an anxiety attack for the past two days because of how unhappy I am.

  • #2
    RE: 17 want to leave my house


    Thank you for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear you are going though this difficult time with your mom. You do have the right to feel safe and wanted in your own home. Just to let you know we are not legal experts. It is technically not against the law for you to leave and live with your dad or boyfriend, but there is a catch. Anyone you would be caught staying with against your legal guardian’s permission could possibly be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’. Each state has different laws so it’s best to check with your local law enforcement what may happen.

    Emancipation is one option for legally leaving the house before you turn 18. It can be a difficult and sometimes expensive process, but the way to start would be to go to your local court house and pick up a packet.

    You also mentioned your mom has been drinking daily. The Alcohol and Drug Helpline at 1-206-722-3700 may be able to help you, or you could give the number to your mom. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time if you would like additional help with emancipation, finding a shelter or just someone to talk to about your anxiety. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

    - NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp