No announcement yet.

running away to another state

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, Me and my significant other have been thinking about me taking her along with me when I go to my living area after I visit her in a different state. Im asking if you'd know some of the consequences of me and her getting caught by doing this?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. It sounds like you and your significant other are thinking about her going back to your place with you the next time you go visit her. It sounds like you care about each other a lot and you must want to be with each other very much. We are not legal experts, but we do know some information and can help you out as best as we can.

So as far as we know if a youth leaves home before the age of 18 at the very youngest (in some states it might not be 18, it may be 19 or 21) they could be considered a runaway. Their parent has the right to file a runaway report for them and the police would be looking for them. Running away is not illegal, but it is considered a status offense. This means that a youth would not get arrested for running away and likely would not go to jail, but the police would be looking for them and would have to bring them back home if they found them. The same goes for your significant other, even if it was in a different state.

If there's something you both are going through please don't hesitate to reach out for help. You can call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help you in the best way that we can. We wish you both the best of luck with everything!

Hey I'm 15 and wanna runaway to another state due to some bad things happening at home I have a friend willing to buy the plane ticket but my concern is will they be able to see who bought the ticket and where I'm at if I get reported?

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that things at home have been so tough. It sounds like you’re considering flying to another state and you have concerns about what might happen if you’re reported. Unfortunately, we can’t say with certainty whether your local police department would be able to look up plane tickets, or if they’d be able to find out who purchased the ticket. We’re not legal experts, but we do know that the laws can vary from state to state. Along those same lines, what the local police department will do once a runaway report is filed can also vary. The best way to know what your local police department might do is to reach out to them at their non-emergency number. You do not need to provide them your personal information to have them answer your questions. If you don’t feel comfortable calling them, feel free to give us a call and we can do a 3 way call out to them with you on the line.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you. We won’t tell you what to do, but we’ll do our best to help you stay safe with however you choose to approach your situation. You can reach us 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), or via chat every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. We wish you the very best of luck. Stay safe!

-NRS

I'm 15 and I'm pretty much raising my self physically and emotionally. My dad was in the military almost my whole life and was always deployed. My mom is addicted to Ambien. My sisters are self centered. I want to leave my house for good. I dont think I can wait until I'm 18. I'm sick of being treated like ********, I'm tired of my parents not caring about me. I have a job. I know that if i run away I have to be sure I have somewhere to go, all important documents about me, and enough money to last me at least a month. I'm not stupid and this isnt a spur of the moment. Ever since I was 13 I wanted to get emancipated but given that it's nearly impossible to get approval I'm gave up on that. When im at my house I'm in my room. My parents dont care. I know they want to send me away to a military school or some ******** so if they do actually do it im leaving.

Comment

Hello, thanks for sharing some of what is going on. Home sounds really stressful and you are very brave for taking care of yourself and for reaching out for help.
      It sounds like you have thought some about leaving and what all that entails, which is really smart! Thinking about where you would go and how you would get there are some things to consider. You may also consider whether or not your parents would file a runaway report. If a minor leaves home without their parents’ permission, the parent can file a runaway report with police. It is not a crime to run away, but if the police find you, they usually try to take you back home. Thinking about if your parents would call the police if you left is another important consideration!
      Emancipation can be a long process, you are right. You do have other options as well. If there is another adult you trust, like an aunt or grandparent or family friend, you may ask them to talk to your parents with you and see if you could stay with one of those adults for a little while. With parents’ permission, a minor can stay with another trusted adult.
      We also offer conference calling if you think having a third party in a conversation with your parents would be helpful! Give us a call anytime at 1-800-786-2929.
      You mentioned your mom has an addiction. That can impact you a lot as we are sure you know! You might look to see if there are any Al-A-Teen meetings near you: https://al-anon.org/al-anon-meetings...ateen-meeting/.
      Al-anon is a support system for families of addicts and Al-a-Teen is specifically for kids of addicts. This website (https://al-anon.org/al-anon-meetings...ateen-meeting/) can offer some support and guidance, along with phone and online groups if there is not one near you in person. There may be Al-Anon meetings but not Al-A-Teen specifically.
      We hope you find some of this information helpful! We are able to help best directly by phone or live chat. Call us 24/7 or chat with us any day 4:30-11:30pm CT.
      You are very strong! Keep holding on! We are here to support you!
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

idk if this is still active but im working on a plan to runaway. I hate my life here. I live in kentucky and i just want to leave. My parents treat me horribly, i dont want pity because i put it on myself lol. I got my phone taken and im driving myself crazy. Im on a friends device but i plan to run away
        I want to go to michigan to be with a close guy friend, he would take care of me. But i have so many questions and of course worry. If i leave on monday and leave for school like a regular day i would have 8 hours to be 8 hours away. You have to be missing for 72 hours before they start to look for you (correct?) im gonna not legally change my name, but im going cut my hair, and probably die it a lighter color when i get there. If i leave now, i know the cons and the pros. Im 16. I have really strict parents so leaving and not coming back will obviously make my life harder, by a lot. I myself and curious from an adults perspective on what would happen if i runaway
        Last edited by ccsmod3; 02-10-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you reaching out to National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are going through a tough situation at home. It takes courage to reach out for support and we are here to help in your time of need. You mentioned that you are planning to run away from home. We are not legal experts and cannot advise you on what you can or cannot do.Generally speaking, if a minor under the age of 18 was to run away or leave home without their parents’ permission their legal guardian could file a runaway report and the minor could be returned home. Please feel free to contact us by phone to discuss more options as laws vary from state to state. Here at NRS we want to help you think through things safely. Please feel free to contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) to talk about more options.

Again, If you want to talk through your plans and other options, our hotline is available 24/7. You can call us any time at 1-800-786-2929 to talk of if you need resources or support. We hope to hear from you soon and wish you all the best."

Best,
          NRS

Okay, so if a minor runs away to another state, and is caught on the streets by the police, but the police don’t know your identity- they assume your a runaway due to your behavior-, all they know is that’s you’re a minor with no parent around, what happens? Do they put you in temporary foster care until they find a name for you, or what?

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi again,

Those are good questions, unfortunately we're not legal experts. Every state handles runaways differently, we offer a conference calling service with youth and police. So you'd call in and we would call the police either with you or for you, and ask those specific questions. That way you're getting your answers right from the source.

_NRS

hi im 16 and live in Virginia with my aunt i want to run away and move back with my mom in florida, how much trouble can I get into? I plan on asking someone to buy me a bus ticket cus I have money and take the bus to florida but im not sure if I can get on the bus being im only 16?

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that sharing your struggles can be intimidating so we appreciate your willingness to ask for help!
          It sounds like you’re committed to making an informed decision about choosing to run away which is really important to do. So let’s talk through some information.
          Firstly, unfortunately in the state of Virginia you legally become an adult at 18. Therefore, until you turn 18, your legal guardian could file a runaway report with the police if you choose to leave home. If the police end up picking you up for whatever reason they’ll likely discover you’re a runaway and will return you home. You cannot get in legal trouble for running away, however, because it’s not a crime. All the police can do is return you to your legal guardian.

The legality of that becomes a little bit more complicated because the person you plan on staying with could possibly be charged with harboring a runaway if your legal guardian choose to press charges. However, if you can prove in court that you left home for your well-being you could potentially avoid charges. We know that might sound overwhelming, so, while we aren’t legal experts ourselves, we could prove you with some local legal resources if you feel comfortable calling or using our messaging services. Our 24/7, confidential, toll-free hotline can be reached at 18007862929, or our messaging services are available on our website www.1800runaway.org which is open after 4:30 pm.

Lastly, regarding the bus ticket, while other bus companies may have different rules, Greyhound’s policy is that any traveler over 14 is able to ride the bus as normal.

We’re here to listen and here to help! Please reach out to us if you have any questions or anything you want to talk about. You clearly care a lot about your granddaughter and we would love to help you support her.

NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Hi I am from Oklahoma and I just turn 16.. I hate it here I am really deppresed and my anxiety is a lot! I have a family that loves me yes but they talk ******** about me they are really over protective, and I live with my mom, grandma, and two aunts, I was abused by my aunt when I was little. I was raped, gun pointed in my head, best from my moms bf daughter, and my mom and Dad was known as Bonnie and Clyde so they have a very bad past and they tell me stories and it makes me have nightmares, I just feel like a berdon and hate it here! I have a bf that is in South Carolina but he is 23 I am scare she will get introuble if I got live with him I just don’t know what to do anymore and yes he does know my age.

Comment

Reply: Hi I am from Oklahoma and I just turn 16..

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it.
          We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.
          If you would like to speak more to us about your situation ,please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit www.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.

Take care,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!

Comment

Hi I’m 17 and I live in Arizona. My home life has been incredibly unhealthy to the point where I’ve needed therapy multiple times and have attempted suicide 3 times In the past year. My boyfriend (who is 19) is moving to Texas and I plan to run away with him after I graduate in a little over 2 months, this new life will be healthy for me because he has consistently been the only one to keep me happy and sane while dealing with my family. I have a license and my own car so I’m able to drive myself there. If I leave without telling anyone would my parents be able to call the police and have me brought back if they find me? Knowing my family they would go insane with anger and do everything they could to bring me back and if I am brought back my life will be a living hell. Also, Once I get there and move in with him, would I be able to get a job there? If not, would I have to wait until I turn 18?

Comment

• ccsmod5
              ccsmod5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi,
              Thanks so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in an incredibly stressful situation and it takes a lot of courage to share your story. You never deserve to be treated poorly by your family, and it makes sense that you would want to remove yourself from this unhealthy situation. While we are not legal experts, we can share some general information and hopefully give you some options.
              You mentioned that you’ve attempted suicide multiple times in the past year. While you mentioned that your boyfriend has been consistently supportive of you (which is great!), we also want to let you know that you are not alone in this. You mentioned seeing a therapist; we’re really glad that you have this resource and we hope that you continue to find it helpful. We would also encourage you to form a safety plan with a friend or your therapist for if you ever feel like you’re in danger of hurting yourself. You can also call 9-1-1 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. You deserve to be supported. We want you to know that your life matters and you have worth. You are clearly a thoughtful, mature, and strong young person, and you matter.
              It sounds like you’re thinking of running away with him while you are still 17. To our knowledge, your parents would still have the right to file a runaway report and the police will return you if they are able to locate you. However, sometimes we’ve seen police choose not to pursue runaways who are close to being 18. If you’d like to find out how your local police would handle your situation, you might consider calling in to your local non-emergency police line and asking hypothetically if they accept runaway reports. If you’re uncomfortable doing that, we are happy to call out to your local police or local agencies and ask for you. We are uncertain about the job situation; it’s possible that you could get a job wherever you go to since you will be 17, but some places require things like an ID, social security number, etc. While we cannot tell you whether or not to run away, we hope that this information is helpful as you make your decision.
              Another option that you might find helpful is our conference call service. If you’d like, we could facilitate a conversation with you and your family. During this call, you might be able to share how you’ve been feeling and what your family can do to support you better. You might also be able to ask your family for permission to stay elsewhere, like with a friend, family member, or your boyfriend. We understand if this is not an option, though, given what you’ve described.
              While we cannot tell you what decision to make, we hope that this was helpful. Please feel free to call us anytime if you ever need someone to listen, locate resources, or help in any other way. Our number is 1-800-786-2929. We wish you the best of luck and we encourage you to give your honest feedback of our forum services at the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay strong and stay safe!

Uhhh hi, I’m 15 and I’m from Louisiana. It sucks here, bad past, bad family, classmates, and friends. My boyfriend (he is 15 aswell) gave me an opportunity to runaway to him with one of my friends to him and I’m wanting to take the offer but I don’t want to be put ina foster home or prison. Can I take the offer to live with him and his family?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear about how things have been going and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and cared for in your life. We are not legal experts but if you run away and your parents file a runaway report, then you would most likely be returned home if found. While running away is not illegal, there could be legal consequences for your boyfriend, his parents, or whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. You would most likely not be put in prison or foster care, you would just be returned to your parents or guardian. If you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you walk through your options to make your situation better. We have resources to help with bullying, child abuse, and self care if those are things you would be interested in. We also have a conference call service where a liner can help mediate a conversation with you and your parents to help keep it safe and allow you to speak your feelings freely. Don't hesitate to give us a call if any of those things could help.

Best,

NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think
              Last edited by ccsmod1; 03-22-2018, 05:56 AM.

Comment

I am 15 and i turn 16 in June, my situation is quite complicated, i live in Alabama and I just moved here from Michigan about 3 months ago. I would not be skipping any school because my mom is signing papers for me to dropout after I turn 16, i have my drivers license and i am getting my Ged before I go back to Michigan. When I go it is an 808 mile drive to Michigan so i am having my cousin who is 17 fly to Alabama to take the trip with me. I will be driving my own car. I have a job so i can provide for myself. I am moving back to Michigan because I am inlove with a guy im not allowed to see. Many people have that reason to move away i know. But im intelligent and have thought this through. I will have all the stuff I need to leave home. My mom and step father aren't aware I am leaving. But i will have a few grand saved up and use cash only at pumps for gas. I'll have a nice apartment waiting for me when I get there. My boyfriend is 17 and is co-signing with his mom to get our place. I will get a new job in michigan to help with the rent. My question is, i am taking the highway and they wont know im gone until later that day because I never leave my room. So i will be in about Tennessee when they find out so if they report me missing with the cops look for my license plate number on the way to Michigan?

Comment

• ccsmod9
                  ccsmod9 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you very much for writing us! It sounds like you have plans to return to Michigan without your parents’ permission to stay with your boyfriend once you turn 16 and take your GED. We appreciate your taking the time to ask important questions before making the big decision to leave.

As you may be aware, running away from home is a status offense. With that, your parents can file a runaway report due to your being under the age of majority and leaving home. Runaway reports are filed with your local police and go nationwide. With that being said, Alabama and Michigan police could know that you are on the run. It also could be a possibility that your mom alerts them to the fact that you are taking your own car, and perhaps she could provide them with your license plate number.

It seems like you have thought a lot about when you would leave and where you would go. Have you ever considered what may happen if things do not go according to your plan? How would you handle being returned home by the police? What would you do if you and your boyfriend break up after you’ve left home? Basically, you are doing a great job coming up with a plan, and as a part of your planning, it is good to think about the worst case scenarios as well.

We invite you to call and chat with us so we can learn even more about your situation and assist you with safety planning. We also wish you the best as you go about your plan! With any choice, there are consequences, and you know your situation best and if it is worthwhile to leave home despite the risks.

Best,

NRS

Hi, I’m 15 and in 3 months turning 16, I live in Pennsylvania and want to move to new York with my boyfriend since my parents are mentally and physically abusive. I can’t seem to find a ride to get there but if I took a bus would I get caught?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about how your parents treat you and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a run away. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like having a conference call with a liner and your parents, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You also have the right to file a child abuse report. If you want more information on how to do that and about your rights as a minor, don't hesitate to call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

Stay safe,

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X