No announcement yet.

running away to another state

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I’m 13 I’ve been planning to run away my parents are very abusive emotionaly and only care about my brother I want to leave and cut contact with anyone I live in Texas and I’m not sure how to do it I have my visa ship in India so if I do run out I will also be kicked out of the us and to India I don’t know what to do

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. Because you are speaking of international law, this is something we are not fully informed on.
      You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your parents.  Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise.  Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation.  That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share.  Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead.  The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

We hope this helps. Please reach out if we can offer any further support.

Be safe,

NRS

• hi, I'm 16, almost 17, and I want to run away from minnesota to new york city. I have the beginnings of a plan: I'm going to get a job in minnesota this summer and save money all summer, then take a bus to NYC at the end of the summer. I would tell me parents I'm at a sleepover with my friend, who would drive me to the bus stop. then I would just leave. the sleepover story would buy me some time before my parents started getting worried. I know you're probably going to say that I shouldn't run away, that it'll just cause more problems, etc. while that might be the case for some, I feel that I have a pretty good reason for needing to run away. I'm transgender, and my parents don't know it, but they're bound to find out soon. and when they do find out, they'll send me to conversion therapy without a second thought. I won't be able to handle that. if that happens, there's a 90% chance I'll end up killing myself. my mental health is already really bad - it started getting bad this year and it's just gotten so much worse. ever since I realized I'm trans, it's worsened even more because I've been dressing and acting more masculine and my parents keep trying to control what clothes I wear and how I cut my hair. that might not seem like a big deal, but for trans people that's terrible. it causes a ton of gender dysphoria which just worsens my depression and anxiety a lot. my family is also very christian and very conservative, so they're just about the least accepting, most hateful people I know when it comes to lgbtq+ people. on top of that, I've tried to tell my parents about my struggles with depression and mental health in general, but they've brushed it off, implying that I'm overreacting or that it's not as bad as I think it is. they refuse to let me go on any sort of medication to help. ANYWAY. the point is, I really need to get out. and I want to go to NYC, because it's big and it's actual a pretty safe city and I won't be easy to find there. And it's also where I want to go to college. I have a lot of questions though:

​​​​​​
    Will I be able to finish high school there without any school documents or identification documents?
    Will I be able to get a job without showing identification?
    If I DO show identification, will I be reported and sent back to live with my parents?
    Will a youth homeless shelter house me and not report me if they know I'm a runaway from another state?
    Will I have to pretend I'm not from another state in order to not be reported and sent back?
    If I am reported, will they make me go back even though my life with my family is terrible for my mental health and literally makes me suicidal?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time..

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Hello I am Matt means my partner are running away to (I can't say) and we are in Michigan right now we under age.. But in two years I will be eighteen and I have savings and money to at least get me through the first 8 weeks and I already have a job waiting for me and so does my lover.We have been planning for five years and not told anyone but each other. I know we will do it next year and we have a car a day and a place to stay..I have a few concerns I know the police won't look that far for us and were staying away from highways and stuff and nobody will find us but I'm worried about if we are caught will me and my partner get in trouble? if we can last at least a year will they give up? We already have a plan to change how we look and are parents call us by names we don't want to be called so are names are changing to. We can be off the grid for that long and I know we can do it but once we are 18 can they still arrest us? The people we are going to have pulled it off but still live off the grid and don't have ID or anything I'm scared for me and my family. Please someone answers my questions. Or let me know any other concern they have for me.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline! We want to commend you on your courage for reaching out, it takes a lot of bravery to reach out for help. We also want to say that it sounds like you have a great support system in your partner, you are lucky to have one another’s shoulders to lean on during this time.

Generally speaking, running away is not illegal and is considered a status offense, like buying cigarettes. If you are under the legal age of 18, your parents have the right to file a runaway report to the police. If the police were to search for runaway youth and find the runaway youth, they can return you to your legal guardians. Also anyone that you would be staying with would be charged with harboring a runaway. Harboring a runaway is a charge that can be filed against individual(s) who provide assistance or aid to runaways. We are not sure where you started from and where you are going, it is worth saying that once you cross state lines it is likely for police to follow up on a runaway report, especially if you are 18, a legal adult in most states. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid in your local area may better answer legal questions on this subject.

It sounds like you and your partner have thought a lot of things through already, which is great! Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. If you have any additional questions regarding meeting any other needs for living on your own, we are happy to listen and help however we can!

We are available by 24/7 by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through live chat at 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk more about your plans or if you are interested in any resources. We wish you the best of luck!

NRS

• Hi my name is skye
    I’m 13 years old and me and my friend are trying to runaway she’s going verbally abused her whole life and we were trying to find a way to get to California from Arizona. How can we get there all transportation sites need a guardian or an adult with you. What do we do pls help

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's the forum reply Thank for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. That’s a difficult situation to be in regardless if you’re being physically or verbally abused or if you’re watching a loved one being physically or verbally abused. Nobody deserves to be treated in that way. It’s great that you are being supportive of your friend in her time of need. It was mentioned that you and your friend wanted to runaway to California. Since you’re under the age of 18, your parents can file a runaway child report with the police. Once the police find you, they will take you back home. One option is to file an abuse report with an organization called Child Help (www.childhelp.org /1-800-422-4453) or with us at NRS. We are here to support you. We are open 24/7 if you need additional support. Please feel free to call at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 or chat with us online by going to www.1800RUNAWAY.org.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X