Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He was "kicked out" at 17, does it mean he can leave the state?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He was "kicked out" at 17, does it mean he can leave the state?

My long distance boyfriend was kicked out of the house and "not allowed back in" by his mom. He's 17. Does this mean he can cross state lines to come stay with me? I have a stable living situation.

He's from Texas and I live in Indiana.

Re: He was "kicked out" at 17, does it mean he can leave the state?

Hello,

We're very sorry to hear your boyfriend was kicked out of his home. He doesn't deserve that at all. We are not legal experts here, but many states have laws that protect minors from being kicked out of the home (without being given an alternative place to go) by their parent/guardian. He does have the right to contact his local police/sheriff or Child Protective Services (CPS) to see if he can file a lockout/neglect report for being kicked out. Typically, Police or CPS will just tell his mother she can't do so until he reaches the age of majority or agrees to an alternative arrangement.

It sounds like you and your boyfriend would prefer he come and live with you. In that case, you may just need to reach out to a lawyer or legal aid. If we know your boyfriend's city and your city, we are able to search for legal aid referrals. To maintain confidentiality, you are welcome to reach out to us directly either through our Live Chat or by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929.) Live Chat is open every day from 4:30 to 11:30pm CST. All you have to do is visit http://www.1800runaway.org and click on the Live Chat button. Our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY is available 24/7. Best of luck!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X