No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leaving home at 17

    I simply am tired of my parents and want to move out. I'm still getting grounded for dumb things and I don't like it that I'm 17 and my parents don't trust me. If I leave and my mom calls the police will they even do anything? If I move out I have braces and ADHD do I get a medical card to pay that stuff off? Will I still have support without my parents help?

  • #2
    Re: Leaving home at 17


    It sounds like you've got a lot going on and we're glad you decided to reach out for help. Getting grounded and not being trusted by your parents sounds frustrating. It can be hard trying to figure everything out as a minor. You asked whether the police will even do anything which does raise the point of how 17 can sometimes be seen as a gray area. We aren't legal experts; however, parents of minors may file them as a runaway/missing juvenile if that young person leaves home without permission. As far as how much the police decide to do after that often depends on the individual police department.

    You also asked about ADHD and braces and unfortunately we are not experts as far as public aid/medical cards. However, if we know your city/state we can look up your local Department of Health and Human Services. We encourage you to reach out to us directly either through our Live Chat (red button at day from 4:30 to 11:30pm CST. Or, we have our 24/7 hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929.) Good luck!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp