pregnate and running away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pregnate and running away

hi, i'm pregnant and i want to move in with my boyfriend, and asking my parents are out of the question... All they would do is take every right as a human I have away from me... is there a loophole in Tennessee law that will enable me to live with him? I have not told my parents about the pregnancy... I don't plan on it till I'm at least 4 months in and 17. I'm afraid they'll try to pin him for statutory rape... he's 17 and I'm 16 and he is turning 18 within the month.

I was reading, if I tell her where I'm at, then it's not considered 'runaway' and they can't force me to do anything, unless my parents want to file wayward or unruly

Re: pregnate and running away

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to post on our bulletin boards. From what you wrote, it sounds like you’re looking for some legal information as far as moving out of your house goes. We aren’t lawyers here, but we do know generally how the laws work and can give you basic information that we know.

First of all, do you know you’re pregnant for sure? Meaning, have you gone to the doctor to confirm you are pregnant? If not, you can contact the Planned Parenthood in your area to make an appointment. Their hotline, which will direct you to a local clinic, is #1-800-230-7526.

Okay, you touch on a couple different legal issues, so we’ll go through them one at a time.

Running away: A runaway is a minor that doesn’t have permission from their legal guardians to be where they are. It generally doesn’t matter whether the legal guardian knows where they are or not, the police can still take a runaway report. Also, if the parents know where their youth is, they can have the police go and pick the youth up and return them home. This is entirely up to the police department if they want to do this. Some are more than willing to, others when they find out a youth is 17 don’t care, but there’s really no way to predict what the police’s reaction is going to be. Possibly calling the police department and asking them how they handle such cases.

Loophole: We don’t know of any, but again we’re not legal experts. Generally in order to move out legally (as you may have read in other posts), there are three ways to go about it. 1) have parent’s permission 2) be removed by child protective services 3) get emancipated. The first two are unlikely options for you, correct? As far as the third option goes, it doesn’t appear that there is an emancipation statue in TN (meaning it’s not allowed). We found a legal aid number in TN that may be able to better answer this question. Since we didn’t know exactly where you are, we found a couple in different cities (most could probably answer questions about the whole state). Legal Aid Society of Middle TN #1-800-238-1443, West TN Legal Services #1-800-372-8346.

Statutory Rape: From the info that we found about TN, it’s highly unlikely that they could charge your boyfriend. Since he wasn’t over 18 when you conceived and usually there has to be a bigger age gap for older teens. Here’s a link to the law in TN if you want to read it yourself (warning it’s all legal terms and kind of hard to understand) http://www.tennessee.gov/tccy/tnchild/39/39-13-506.htm

We hope this helped in answering some of your questions. Give those legal hotlines a call to see if they have any other information. It’s possible that Planned Parenthood could have some legal information concerning pregnant teenager's rights too. You’re welcome to give us a call anytime if you want to talk more in depth about any of this. We’d be happy to talk over how you’re feeling, options and provide you with other resources if the ones above can’t help. We can also conference a call with you and any other resource if you’re not comfortable calling them yourself. Some may only be business hours, but our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY, is available 24/7. Good luck figuring all this out.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Thank you for your response, that was my girlfriend who posted.

First of all, do you know you’re pregnant for sure? Meaning, have you gone to the doctor to confirm you are pregnant?
      Yeah, we went down and they said she was a month and a half in

Running away: A runaway is a minor that doesn’t have permission from their legal guardians to be where they are. It generally doesn’t matter whether the legal guardian knows where they are or not, the police can still take a runaway report. Also, if the parents know where their youth is, they can have the police go and pick the youth up and return them home. This is entirely up to the police department if they want to do this. Some are more than willing to, others when they find out a youth is 17 don’t care, but there’s really no way to predict what the police’s reaction is going to be. Possibly calling the police department and asking them how they handle such cases.
      so it doesn't seem like they'll do much.

Loophole: We don’t know of any, but again we’re not legal experts. Generally in order to move out legally (as you may have read in other posts), there are three ways to go about it. 1) have parent’s permission 2) be removed by child protective services 3) get emancipated. The first two are unlikely options for you, correct? As far as the third option goes, it doesn’t appear that there is an emancipation statue in TN (meaning it’s not allowed). We found a legal aid number in TN that may be able to better answer this question. Since we didn’t know exactly where you are, we found a couple in different cities (most could probably answer questions about the whole state). Legal Aid Society of Middle TN #1-800-238-1443, West TN Legal Services #1-800-372-8346.
      emancipation is possible if the judge gets sweet talked and told what he wants to hear, broken home, emotional abuse etc etc. She doesn't have a job so that disqualifies her instantly

Statutory Rape: From the info that we found about TN, it’s highly unlikely that they could charge your boyfriend. Since he wasn’t over 18 when you conceived and usually there has to be a bigger age gap for older teens. Here’s a link to the law in TN if you want to read it yourself (warning it’s all legal terms and kind of hard to understand) http://www.tennessee.gov/tccy/tnchild/39/39-13-506.htm
      about 5 years in our age group, I really didn't want to be a rapist, that's good news.

We hope this helped in answering some of your questions. Give those legal hotlines a call to see if they have any other information. It’s possible that Planned Parenthood could have some legal information concerning pregnant teenager's rights too. You’re welcome to give us a call anytime if you want to talk more in depth about any of this. We’d be happy to talk over how you’re feeling, options and provide you with other resources if the ones above can’t help. We can also conference a call with you and any other resource if you’re not comfortable calling them yourself. Some may only be business hours, but our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY, is available 24/7. Good luck figuring all this out.
      once she runs away, after school or within the next couple weeks, and need some assistance we'll call.

This site really is great, I love what you guys are doing. Some people only have so many options, there is just so much dust and riff raff with this subject.

Comment

We are so glad to hear that we were able to help. If you ever need to call we are here 24 hours a day and you can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Although this may not be the easiest situation, it sounds like both of you are trying to find out as much information as you can to be safe and that you are both great supports to each other. Just remember we are here anytime you need us. Best of luck and take care.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

well... we failed... I got arrested for contributing to delinquency... out on a $1500 bond plus I'm not allowed to directly/indirectly speak with her or her mother... not such a great idea

Comment

Thanks for updating us on the situation. Sorry to read things didn't work out as you would've liked them to. That was always a risk, right? Hopefully you're both able to find ways to cope with the new arrangements (i.e. not being able to have contact).

Let us know if there's anything else we can assist with.

Comment

Do you know how long I'll be in jail? From the looks of things... it's a Class A misdemeanor with 11 months and 29 days in jail and/or max fine of $2500...

Are they really going to go all out over her missing one day of school? That's what they said the charge was for. Since I was born in 1990 and she was in 1991, they can't get me for rape... so they're going to try they're damnedest to put me behind bars. I'm unemployed and still in school... this isn't looking to great for me... I haven't even talked to her since the day she went home witch was the 29th.. ugh

Comment

We actually don't know anything about how long you'll be in jail or the consequences of what you were charged with. It sounds like, though, you're already aware of what you might be facing. It just sounds like the police in your area are going to charge you with whatever they can, which may not always be the norm in situation's like this but something that they have the right to do. We're definitely sorry that you find yourself in the position you're in. It's probably especially tough to not be able to have her support throughout it. If you want to get more information about the legality of your situation, you could probably call a legal aid hotline in your area. A couple were provided in our first response to your girlfriend. Best of luck with everything.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X