No announcement yet.

16 - California runaway

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 - California runaway

    Both of my parents emotionally abuse me and I want to run away to escape my issues. I know that running away is very dangerous, but I am willing to take the chance. What may be interesting is that this isn't your typical case where the runaway does drugs or alcohol and gets in to trouble. I have never touched drugs before, and I still want to get an education. The emotional abuse has been going on for as long as I can remember. Definitely longer than 8 years

    I have several questions about how I can manage to pull this off without being caught.
    - What are the consequences if I get caught?
    - How much money should I bring with me?
    - What items should I bring with me?
    - Where should/shouldn't I go?
    - How would I go about getting a job?
    - How would I go about going to school to get an education? (and continue where I left off)
    - How would I
    - When is the best time to leave?
    - Is there anything I should do before I leave? Leave a note? Make my bed?

    Please give me more information if you think I am missing anything.

    Should I bring my phone? Only my friends have my number, not my parents. I have been paying for it ever since I got it.

  • #2
    RE: 16 - California runaway


    Thank you for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear that you've had such a negative experience at home. It sounds like it's been going on for a while and you're doing your best to keep yourself safe if you leave home. You brought up several questions regarding running away and we'll do our best to answer your questions. We are happy to answer as many questions as we can, but please keep in mind that we are not always able to help with legal questions because laws can vary from state to state.

    You asked about the consequences of running away. Running away is not illegal. Running away is considered a status offense, which is similar to a parking ticket. If you are considered a minor in your state, your legal guardians have the right to file something called a runaway report with your local police department. A runaway report lets the authorities know that you are not in your guardian's care. What a police department will do with that report depends on where you live. Sometimes they look for you, sometimes they don't. You do have the right to an education, but you would need to speak with someone that knows a bit more about the laws in your state who can orient you about how registering for school as a runaway would work. As far as the details for running away (money, what to bring, when to leave, etc), everyone's needs are different. What you would need really depends on where you might be comfortable going . Please feel free to contact us by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our chat services, which are available daily from 4:30pm - 11:30pm CST. Best of luck to you.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp