No announcement yet.

17 yo runaway in Idaho

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 yo runaway in Idaho

I'm 17 and live in Idaho. I ran away once already but spoke to the police and tried to explain my situation and how I didn't feel safe returning to my mother's. They made me go back anyways. I ran away again and now I'm afraid that if they can find me they'll make me go back again.
    My mother has been both physically and emotionally abusive towards me. She has choked, strangled, clawed, and beaten me with belts and plastic coat hangers, which break and then cut into me. She's also slapped me much more than anything but that is allowed as 'corporal punishment' in Idaho. She calls me worthless and useless and says that I won't go anywhere in life, she's called me stupid and an idiot.
    I also don't believe my mother is entirely sane. I'm not sure if it may be MPD, intense paranoia, or bipolar disorder. She resorts to anger and violence very quickly, with little reason. She is extremely irrational and it is hard to have any conversation with her. She constantly looks for reasons to punish me even when I've done nothing wrong or broken no rules. She puts on fronts in public or around people outside of our family, she acts really nice and aparrently bragged to the police about me last time. She revoked my license and told me I couldn't park my car on her property because of where I work. She claims that she doesn't remember any of the times she's hit any of her children. She was the same way with my three older siblings. But has yet to hit my little sister who is 13, even though I remember being strangled as early as 7.
    I would much rather live with my father who is kind and supportive, but has had trouble gaining custody because of his past use of marijuana. But I know I can't go to his house because he will get into trouble.
    Last time I don't think I was yet registered as a runaway before I spoke to the police, now I know I am. I'm worried about them being able to find me and I'm worried about the consequences of running away in Idaho, from my research is among the strictest of states in this regard but I'm uncertain what that implies.

RE: 17 yo runaway in Idaho

Hello,

Thank you for writing into the National Runaway Safeline bulletin board. It sounds like you’re going through a very rough time right now. You or your little sister definitely don’t have to be treated that way. Especially when you’re at home; a place that is supposed to be a safe and loving place for you. You always have the right to report any abuse to your local police department or child protective service in your state. If you don’t feel like you’re not comfortable or if you might not know how to do that, you can always call us anytime you want. There is always someone here to help you.

From what you have stated in your post it sounds like you have already run away for the second time and are concerned about what could happen to you if you are found. Unfortunately, here at the NRS we cannot tell you in definite terms on what would happen for someone who is caught/picked-up by the police after being reported as a runaway. Laws on that specific subject vary from state to state and it sounds like you have been doing a bit of research on the subject as well. In some states, different police districts don’t even take a report when the youth is 17 years old. To get a more definite answer, our advice would be calling your local non-emergency police in your area.

It sounds like you have given a lot of thought in to what you want to do in your situation. You have also mentioned that you were thinking about running away to live with your father instead of your mother. You also mentioned that he was having trouble getting custody due to past behaviors. Have you ever tried getting into contact with the case worker that might have been working with you when custody was first given to you mother? That way maybe you can speak on his behalf and perhaps talk about what has been going on between you and your mother at home. If you were to live with your father, what would be your overall plan?

Once again thank you for writing into the NRS, we are always here to listen and here to help you with everything we can. You can also call into our 24hour hotline (1.800.RUNAWAY) for a more immediate response, as well as connect you to some resources that we might have on hand. Another service that we offer here at the NRS is our chat room which is offered from 4:30pm to 11:30pm/CST (www.1800RUNAWAY.org). If you feel more comfortable with that opinion we are more than welcome to contact us through there.

Look forward to talking with you and best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Running away

Heyy so me and my boyfriemd talked and he wants me to move in with him but im 17 and 5 months away from 18 everyone tells me the cops wont do anything but idk and i hate it at my moms and wanna get out what should i do?

Comment

Re: Running away

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re looking to move in with your boyfriend because of the way things are going at home with your mom. It’s understandable why you would want to leave if you are hating it at home. We’re here to help as much as we can.

We’re not legal experts unfortunately, but generally speaking if you leave before the age of 18 without permission from legal guardians, they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made, and the police find you they typically just bring you back home. However, anyone you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring (if they are over 1. It sounds like you have been trying to seek answers and you’ve been hearing different things. Law enforcement’s responses can differ depending on location, so one option you have is to contact your local police department and just ask hypothetically what may happen. You do not have to give identifying information to do this. If you would like assistance, you can call us here at (800) RUNAWAY (786 2929) and we can make that call out with you.

Best,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

My parents

My parents are in a very strict religion with very hard rules. They don't let me join school sports or hang out with absolutely no school friends because they consider them worldly and bad influence not knowing that in the church it is worst then the outside world. Iam 16 years old I work all summer to buy all my clothing and food when I go out my parent is hard on money and sometimes gets angry or hesitants when he has to spend. I know if I leave the church I will be lonely completely because he won't let me go out with my girl friend and friends I wanna know if I have the right to be able to go and hang out with friends and Be back at home by 9:00 or a resonable hour or if I have any rights to my personal belongings like My phone I bought with my money if he finds it can he forcly take it away can he keep me from seeing my girl friend cause of his dumb religion can he keep me from going out is the question

Comment

Reply: My Parents

Hi there,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
            We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms; however we want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
            We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.

If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
            Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take Care,
            NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

If im a runnaway and refuse to go home what will happen?

Comment

• ccsmod8
                ccsmod8 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello there –

Thanks for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline with your concerns. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline and posting on our public forum. By helping you during your crisis, hopefully there are other youth that are in similar situations can read this for help as well.

As you have probably already read the multiple other threads that we have posted here on the forum board you should know that we are not legal experts. Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority, your parents would be able to make a runaway report and the police will be able to bring you back home. If you left the city or even the state while on the run, the report will likely follow you. If your parents filed you as a runaway, the report will be entered into the NCIC. That is a national database for missing people and runaways that law enforcement use. So if you did get into trouble with the police in a different state, they will still be able to tell that you are an active runaway. Then they will possible hold you until arrangements can be made to get you back home; in detention or local youth shelter. If you were within the same city and state that your parents are in and refused to go home, they might contact child protective services to do some family mediation and figure out what is going on or they might just release you back to your parents anyway because legally police can’t hold you without you committing a crime.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 fully confidential hotline, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help answer some of those questions you have and could potentially help you brainstorm a solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org) if you don’t feel like calling in to talk on the phone.

I really want to move to my dads house in gorgia but I live with my mom in Idaho.Am I legally allowed to leave without my moms consent and my father pay for me to go down there and live with him.How can I make that possible? What is EVERYTHING that I have to do? Can she call me in as a runaway?

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello There,
                Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. If you are 17 you are still considered a minor and your mother could file a runaway report on you. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. What that means is that if you were to runaway and the police found you they would most likely bring you back home. A lot of police departments may not take a runaway report on someone who is 17, every police department is different so it would be best to ask the police department how they handle runaway reports. You could consider asking your mother’s permission to move to your dad’s house. Another option would be to wait until you are 18 where you could legally move to your dad’s without any legal trouble.
                We hope this information will be helpful in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to talk more please feel free to call us at 1800-RUNAWAY we are available 24/7. We wish you the best of luck!
                NRS
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X