Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting ready to run

I have a step daughter who will be eighteen in October. She wants to leave her mothers house and come stay with her dad and I. Her mom found this out and has basically taken everything from her except her clothes. She is on the verge of running away and I do not know what to do. There is no reasoning with this woman she even told her that she can not see us until she is eighteen... Does anyone know the rights she has or what we can do in such a short amount of time..

Re: getting ready to run

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us. Sounds like the young girl is going through an intense situation right now. Does the youth still have contact with you and her father? Does the dad have any kind of custody or parental rights?

It's great that you are trying to find some help for her because mom seems to not be allowing the daughter to reach out for other options. As far as trying to find out what her rights are, the youth can file for emancipation in her state by contacting social services. Here is an agency that may also be able to provide some ideas on what you can do as an advocate:

Justice for Children

If you are willing to share a few more details, please give us a call at 1800-RUNAWAY and we can talk a little about what is happening and how we could be of any help.

Best of luck with everything.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X