No announcement yet.

3 months from 17, moving with parental consent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3 months from 17, moving with parental consent

    I live in CA and things have been iffy relationship wise recently with my family, so I want to move, which my parents are fine with. I've been planning to go to North Carolina soon with my girlfriend and live with her sister and her husband until I have a job. I'm just wondering about the legalities. Like do i have to get emancipated or anything like that. Thanks.

  • #2
    RE: 3 months from 17, moving with parental consent

    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out tonight. It sounds like you have a bit of a plan in place. That’s great. You’re asking a good question, so let’s see how we can help you out tonight.

    If your parents are giving you permission to go, you can leave. If they decide to change their minds and file a runaway report, then they have the right to file one and you could be forced to return back home. If you get emancipated, then you would have the rights of an adult. That means you would be able to live wherever you want and your parents would no longer be legally responsible for you. You would be responsible for your own well-being and financial stability. It certainly could be an option for you. The benefits for getting emancipated is that you would be able to rent, enroll yourself in school and get a job without your parent’s permission or signature. We aren’t legal experts here, so we aren’t able to say specifically what the emancipation process looks like in CA.

    Usually the first step in emancipation would be to contact a lawyer. One organization that might be able to help you out with that is Legal Services for Children. You can contact them at two different numbers: 415-863-3762 and 1-888-292-4252.
    If you decide to leave to NC, getting emancipated could be a good option for you. Remember that taking your identification documents (birth certificate, social security card, license) with you is a good way to make sure you are able to survive and get a job.

    We hope this information is helpful to you. If you ever need anything else or want to talk through your options, please feel free to call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If things don’t work out in NC or you need anything, give us a call and we can see how we can support you. If you aren’t able to call, you can chat with us through our website
    ( from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to your call or chat.

    Best of luck to you,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp