Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we date?

I'm almost 19 and my girlfriend is 16. Her parents don't want us to date even though I'm a good guy. They've admitted I'm a good guy they just don't want their daughter depending on anyone but them. If she snuck around to see me could I get in trouble? Could they get a restraining order on me even though there is no sexual contact and no damage done to her future?

Re: Can we date?

Thanks for reaching out with your questions and concerns. It sounds like you would like to be able to see your girlfriend but her parents are not supportive of the relationship and making it hard to do so. It’s understandable this is a difficult situation to deal with and it sounds like you really care about her. It’s tricky because at 16 she is still considered a minor so that puts you in a tough position. But it may also be important to check what the age of consent is in the state you are located in by contacting police on a non-emergency number or legal aid. What that may mean is that they may not legally be able to do anything but obviously we can’t say how they would react if they found out.

If you would like to discuss this more in depth you can always call us at our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are confidential and anonymous and can talk through options and resources that may be helpful. We also have a live chat available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. Feel free to contact us anytime. Take care.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X