Can we still talk?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we still talk?

I'm almost 19 and my girlfriend is 16. We live in WV. I confronted her parents about how she is always upset because of them and now I can't see her. They also won't let me talk to her at all. She has been trying to contact me though. I really want to talk to her since she is going through a lot but if I do could they get me in trouble?

re: Can we still talk?

Hi

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry the way things are going for you and your girlfriend. It sounds like your girlfriend has been experiencing problems. It seems that her parents do not want her to remain in contact with you. As far as legal trouble, it is hard to determine what type of legal trouble you could get into since we do not have a legal background. We have looked into the statutory rape laws for West Virginia and 16 is the age of consent. The only foreseeable trouble that may possibly exist is if there is a restraining order against you and you violate it. Talking shouldn't be an issue as long as you have not been ordered by the courts not to do so. We can provide you with legal aid referrals or you may contact your local nonemergency police hotline to get additional information to be on the safe side.

Here is a link to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Service's guide regarding statutory rape: http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/08/sr/statelaws/summary.shtml.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember if you have any additional questions or concerns, we can be reached on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is confidential and anonymous. Also our live chat is available between 4:30pm and 11:30pm CST.

Best Wishes
    ~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Restraining order

Can parents get a restraining order on you for no other reason than that they don't want their daughter to see me?

Comment

RE: Restraining Order.

Hello,

Yes, your girlfriend's parents can file a restraining order against you. If you would like to discuss your situation further, please call us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Best of luck,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X