Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving at 17

I'm in a situation where i am currently staying with a relative as a vacation, but i plan on not going back home. My parents are both very mean and abusive, they like to take their feelings out on me to make them feel better. My mother is very possessive and controlling, so I am afraid that when i talk to her about officially moving out, she will become very unrational and do anything she can to not let me leave. I know you're supposed to be 18 to legally move out without parental consent, but with this situation, i just cannot take the abuse anymore and will do anything I can to get away from it. What legal rights do i have, if I am being emotionally abused but not physically? Can she stop me?

Re: leaving at 17

Hey,

Sounds like you're trying to find an option for staying where you're currently staying without getting into legal trouble. While we're not legal advisors we'll try assist as best as we can.

It's gotta be frustrating to deal with possessive and controlling behaviors. Are there other family members that know about what's going on at home? It may be good to talk to trustworthy family members or friends.

The thing you're asking about is the age of majority. The age of majority in most states in 18. That means that if you leave from home (or not return home) without permission, your guardian has the option of filing a report with the police. That usually permits authorities to pick you up from a location and return you home. The only way to live somewhere else is to have permission from your guardian or from Social Services. Social Services will only permit you to live somewhere else if home is unfit and that's if your guardians are neglectful or physically abusive.

You can also attempt to go to the courts for emancipation. There they'd require you to have an income and a place to stay.

We'd like to continue to advocate for you. Please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We're anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. We're here to listen, here to help.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X