No announcement yet.

Living with a friend at the age of 17.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Living with a friend at the age of 17.

    Recently my father sent me to Florida to visit my mother just for summer. After I arrived in Florida my father now wants me to live here in Florida but I really don't want to. I'm living in a nice house with my mother but I want to live back in California where I can still be with my friends and my girlfriend. Is it possible for me to move back to California and live with my friend and his parents? I already have asked a couple of my friends parents and they are fine with me moving in. My father thinks I need theorapy and thinks I need help but I'm perfectly fine. Nothing is wrong with me, he just doesn't want me anymore. I can't handle living in Florida away from my girlfriend. If I do move in with a friend I plan on getting a job and taking care of myself.

  • #2
    Re: Living with a friend at the age of 17

    Thanks for reaching out with your questions and concerns. It sounds like you are in a tough situation right now and not sure how to proceed. It sounds like your dad may be your legal guardian but he now wants you to live with your mom in Florida and you would like to return back to California. It sounds like this is a confusing situation and that it may be coming out of nowhere for you. It's understandable you would like to be back with your friends and it's good that you have safe places to stay other than your dad's if you do end up going back. Have you brought up your concerns with your father or the idea of staying with another friend in California.

    It's tricky because at 17 you may still be considered a minor so if you left and stayed somewhere without your dad's permission he may have the right to make a runaway report or return you back home. It's always hard to say how the police would deal with this situation depending on how close you are to being 18. It may be helpful to reach out to a non emergency police number in California just to see how they would deal with a 17 year old and if they would take a report or make a youth go back home. If your dad is okay with you staying with a friend that would certainly be the most ideal option. Have you spoken with your mom at all about how you are feeling about all of this? In the end this is not a decision we can make but we are happy to talk through safe options and resources with you. If you would like to discuss this situation more in depth you can always call us at our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat available through our website from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. All of our services are confidential and anonymous and there is always someone here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp