Running away at 17 in oregon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running away at 17 in oregon

Mom thinking about running away. I'm in foster care but I can't take it anymore. I was told once you turn 17 and you runaway no one really looks for you or cares. Is that true?? I have a job and have a place where I could stay. I just don't want anyone to get in trouble.

Re: Running away at 17 in oregon

Hey,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear that you have been feeling like you can’t take it in your foster care anymore. It sounds like it’s been really hard for you to deal with lately.
    So you were told that once you are 17 and you runaway, no one looks for you; while that might happen on an individual basis, it is not a guarantee. If you are under the age of a legal adult, a runaway report can be filed by your legal guardian if you leave home without permission. If there is a runaway report filed, and the police find you, typically they will just bring you back home. Running away is not illegal; it is considered a status offense so it is most similar to a parking ticket. You said that you do not want to get anyone in trouble, which is a good thing to hear. We do want to let you know that if there is a runaway report filed on you, and the police know where/who you are staying with, there is a possibility of the people that you stay with getting charged for harboring a runaway. We have a large database of different resources here at NRS, including shelters that we could pass along to you if you do decide to leave home and need a safe place to go.
    If you would like to call in at 1 800 RUNAWAY (786 2929), we are 24/7, anonymous and confidential and here to talk with you, provide resources, support you and listen. We also have a chat option through our website at 1800runaway.org, from the hours of 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST.
    We wish you the best of luck with everything.
    Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Hi i'm 17 years old and I live in the state of Oregon i'm thinking of leaving my home but i'm afraid my mom will call the police if i do. I don't want to get anyone in trouble and I want to know what to expect if I do decide to leave home i'm only a few months away from turning 18.

Comment

Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to leave your home before you are 18. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your mom could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through this option with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello,
          My boyfriend has a very strict household. He is 17, doesn’t have a car nor a phone and his senior year, he was transferred to a whole new school just because he lied to his parents. He can’t handle his mother anymore. His father is in full support of our relationship yet his mother isn’t, just because she doesn’t like my mom who is a teacher at my school. His mother will frequently make comments like “...we only have nine more months that we have to deal with each other.” And he turns 18 in the beginning of July...
          What are the runaway laws for a 17 year old runaway for the state of Oregon in Lane County? I’m confused on how to help my boyfriend...

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello There,
            Thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline, we know that reaching out can be difficult at times and we appreciate that you took the steps into reaching out to us. It sounds like your boyfriend is going through a very difficult time. It is great that you are there to support him through this difficult situation. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. We are not legal experts but what that means is if your boyfriend were to run away he would not be arrested, most likely he would just be returned to his home. Because he is 17 in a lot of cases we see, police usually do not pursue a runaway report for someone who is 17. Also whoever he stays with could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway, which again is rare for someone who is 17. If your boyfriend is planning on leaving home and needs somewhere to stay you or him could give us a call and we can help find shelters in his area. He could also consider talking to a school counselor about how he is feeling and they may also help with providing him resources. If you guys would like to talk more about his situation don’t hesitate to call us we are available 24/7. We wish you both the best of luck!
            NRS

Hi I'm 17 and turn 18 on November 27th, my boyfriend is getting kicked out of my parents house for no reason and I told them I'm going with them and if he leaves I wont ever get to see him but my mom said if I leave she will call the cops, will the cops do anything if I leave my boyfriend is 19 and we are getting married when I turn 18 and we have nowhere to go

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,
            Thank you for reaching out and sharing a little bit about your situation. It must be frustrating that your parents are kicking your boyfriend out without sharing their reasons. It sounds like you really care about your boyfriend and that you two have a strong relationship. We aren’t legal experts, so this isn’t legal advice, but we can give some general information. If you choose to leave without permission, your mom would have the right to file a runaway report. From there, it depends on your local police how they choose to handle the situation. Though in most states, they should bring you home, there is also the possibility that they would choose to let you stay where you are if you’re safe. Since you’ll be turning 18 in just under a month, that could increase the possibility that the police would let you stay put.
            Thank you again for your post. If you have any additional questions or need any resources, feel free to give us a call. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and we’re open 24/7. Take care and good luck!
            --NRS

If my 17 year old goes away overnight with her 20 year old boy friend, am I legally responsible if she get in trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod1
            ccsmod1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems like you have some questions regarding liability for your daughter’s actions when not in your care. Consequences and parental responsibilities can vary greatly from state to state and even city to city. You may want to contact your local nonemergency police (you can normally just dial 311) to find out what the local policy is. If she leaves home, you can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and she is located by the authorities she will most likely be returned to you.

All the best,
            NRS

I can’t stand being in my household anymore and need to know if there’s a way other than emancipation to leave home as a minor in Oregon. I pay $600 a month for half of a garage, my mother said if I try emancipation she will say and do everything in her power to make sure I can’t get it done. What can help other than leaving home at 17?

Comment

Reply:I can’t stand being in my household

Hello,
            Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. In some states there are emancipation laws that can be one way of trying to gain your independence. . We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18.

Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. It’s best to check your local court house to gain more information on this process.
            Also you might check with your local police department to inquire about the runaway laws in your state or if someone that moves out of their parent or guardian’s home would without permission would be considered a runaway and forced to return home.

If you would like to talk more about your situation we are here to listen and here to help.
            To speak with someone on our crisis or chat line contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org

Take care,
            NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I hate living with my mom, she hates my boyfriend, and i cant see any friends besides school. I have talked to my real dad and he said since i turn 18 in December going to court for me would end about the time that i turn 18 so there would be no point. My mm has custody of me and i dont have a phone or a job, i just really wanna leave this summer but i am scared of getting in trouble cause the same thing happened to my sister and my mom when psycho and call the cops and everything.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello There,
                Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. We are not legal experts but it seems that since you are so close to being 18 if your dad were to go to court for custody it probably wouldn’t be finished until you are 18 years old. If you were to leave home without permission your mom does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you home. In some cities the police may not take a runaway report on a 17 year old who is close to being 18. To find out how the police in your city would handle a runaway report you can always call the police and ask how they would handle that situation.
                We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck!
                NRS

Hello I have a question regarding runaways in Josephine County.. my daughter is a 15 year old who is dating a 17 year old..he is in an abusive situation n their home has 10 people in a 3bdrm and there isn't any place for him to sleep except the couch or floor.. him and his family lives next door to us and we're trying to find out if there is a way to find out if he has actually been charged with being a runaway as this is what I've been told by his family and they think that we have been harboring him ..which we have not been .we have caught them at night in the middle of the night sleeping in a tent in my backyard when nobody else is awake and he thinks we can't see him .. I have filed trespassing charges against him to cover my butt cuz I am not harboring him nor helping him.. but I would like to information for my daughter because if she chooses to run away with him what safe houses are there in Josephine County Oregon for minors to go to when they are Runaways

Comment

• ccsmod15
                ccsmod15 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi and thank you for reaching out today! It sounds like you care very much about your daughter and want to ensure she is safe if she chooses to leave home with her boyfriend.
                We are not legal experts, but what we know from working with runaway youth is in general, 18 is the legal age in most states, including Oregon. Leaving home before that, a youth can be filed as a runaway. Parents would do this by notifying local police. If you wanted to find out if your daughter's boyfriend is actually filed as a runaway, you can find your local non-emergency police number at usacops.com and look up the county or city jurisdiction. As far as harboring, it is a rare charge and is hard to prove, honestly. Even if he is sleeping in your yard, if you are not actively housing him and hiding him from police, it is unlikely you would come across harboring charges, even if he has been filed as a runaway.

You also mentioned abuse. You or the 17 year old can always file an abuse report if you all feel it is warranted. We can also help with this process and conference call if the youth wants to call us here (1-800-786-2929) Child Help is another resource on abuse--childhelp.org, 1-800-422-4453.

As far as local youth shelters, we have a database full of resources for all over the country. We do not, however, publish that information publicly for privacy reasons since youth live there. We are here 24/7 by phone (1-800-786-2929) and by live chat (at the top of our website page) so feel free to reach out anytime and we can give you that information directly!

You must care very much about your daughter and her boyfriend to look for this information and ensure they are safe. Thank you for keeping them both safe! Feel free to pass on our website and phone number to them as well. We are confidential and anonymous so they can reach out anytime too!
                Last edited by ccsmod15; 07-13-2019, 07:43 PM.

Hi I’m a 17 year old wanting to run away from foster care I’ve had a lot of problems with my foster parents and I was just wondering what would happen if I ran away because I don’t fell safe In the home

Comment

• ccsmod13
                ccsmod13 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. Asking for help was a really good first step. You deserve to feel safe and supported where you live. We are sorry to hear that hasn't been the case for you at your foster home. We are not legal experts, but we can share some general information with you. If you decide to leave without permission, then your foster parents or your caseworker can report you as a runaway. You would not get into legal trouble necessarily, but the police might return you to your foster parents.

If you are not feeling safe, we encourage you to communicate this to your caseworker. We understand that these conversations can be really difficult and adults are not always willing to listen. We can help by facilitating a conference call with you and your caseworker. We can first talk about your concerns with the foster home and what you would like to see change, and then when you are ready we can talk them together. We will be on the line to make sure the conversation stays calm and that your needs are being heard.

We want to support you while you navigate this challenging situation and we can best help by phone or chat. Please do not hesitate to reach out anytime, so that we can help.

Be safe,
                NRS

I'm turning 17 on the 29th (of November). I ran away on Oct 25th but the police made me go home on Nov 1st. I was told that if you runaway in Oregon, the police can only make you go home the first time you runaway. Is this true? I plan on leaving again in a few months or so, once I have more money and people I can rely on. I'll also have less time until I'll be 18. I want to live with my biological dad, but my adoptive mother forbid me to see him until I'm 18. I think the smartest move would be to just wait out this last year here, but I just feel so trapped and controlled. My parents are verbally/mentally abusive. My mom has hit me last summer, and threatened to kick me out. I just have no clear evidence of what they put me through so I'm not sure I could do anything about it.

Comment

• ccsmod13
                ccsmod13 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your situation with us here at NRS. It sounds like you are planning on leaving again and want to know more about runaway laws. While we are not legal experts we can speak generally on this.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. If you leave home without permission before then, your parents can report you as a runaway even if you have left home before. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means your parents can ask police to return you home if you are found. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. We want you to know that you are not alone and we are here for you to listen and help as much as possible. If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore all of your possible options, please do not hesitate to reach out again. We are available for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 and through live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Stay strong,
                NRS

hello, i am 16, about to turn 17 in 4 months. i live in oregon but it’s right on the border of california. if i were to run away from home to california, would the law still apply if i was in california and not oregon. i’m not looking to get into any trouble. but this living situation keeps getting worse and worse with each months i even stay in this house.

Comment

• ccsmod6
                ccsmod6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello, Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and help out in any way that we can. In the state of Oregon and California, you are considered a minor until the age of 18. If you did choose to run away to California, your parents may be able to bring you back as you are not considered an adult. Although we are not legal experts here, we know that running away is a status offense, which means it’s not illegal to run away from home and you won’t face any charges. However, if you run away, your family has the right to file a runaway report on you. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a run away. It sounds like you are going through a lot at home and we want you to know that you are not alone. It might be a good idea to reach out to a trusted family member or school counselor. Your safety is our number one priority, if you need immediate help please call 911. If you are being harmed you can also reach out to Child help at 1-800-422-4453 or ww.childhelp.org who may be able to help you with what’s going on at home. We really hope this information helps you. We encourage you to call at 1-800-786-2929 or try our Live Chat at 1800runaway.org if you’d like to get into more detail or just talk about things happening in your life. We wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

Take care,
                NRS
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X