Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im 16 & might be pregnant. can I move out at 17 and live with my boyfriend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really just trying to look fro a straight froward answer. i'm pregnant and I'm 16 years old i turn 17 February 26 i was wondering if i could leave home with out getting in trouble . i plan on staying with my boyfriend his parents said i can stay as long as i help around the house and help pay a small amount of rent i don't want my parents to know though

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through a tough time, but we are here to support you and help you in any way we can.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your mom could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there. Some police departments don’t accept runaway reports for 17 year olds, but the policies may vary by each department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you haven’t already, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult, relative, worker/teacher/counselor at your school for help and support. You could also consider talking to your parents about how you’ve been feeling. Just so you’re aware, we have a conference calling service here where we could help mediate a conversation between you and your parents.

If you need resources related to your pregnancy, you could consider contacting Planned Parenthood at 1-800-230-7526; plannedparenthood.org. There are also many resources that could help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

Hello, I am 17 years and in Oklahoma, I am a Senior in High School. I live with my boyfriend, but recently he wants to move to Florida to work. I have my parents permission to live with him, but can I move with my boyfriend to Florida without their permission? He is 21 years old and we already have a place to stay over their.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for contacting National Runway Safeline. We are happy to answer the questions and concerns you have. At 17, you are still considered a minor in your state. This means that, by law, you will need your parent’s consent to live from under their supervision. You mentioned that your parents have already given you permission to live with your boyfriend but, based on what you’re saying it appears they are unaware of your desire to live out of state with your boyfriend. It may be beneficial to communicate this issue with your parents. At any point before you are of legal age your parents are legally able to determine where you live and if they are opposed to you living out of state but, you choose to leave without their consent that does pose some risks which include being filed as a runaway even though you have already been given permission to live with your boyfriend. You also mentioned that you are a senior in high school. If you plan to continue and complete high school it may be beneficial to determine (if you do not plan to complete high school before leaving) how you will go about enrolling into school somewhere else. At 17, you would not only need a permanent address to enroll into school but, you will also need your parent’s permission and assistance. We hope that this information was beneficial to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to give us a call at our 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNWAY or contact us by visiting our website 1800runaway.org

Hey I’m 17 & pregnant but I’ll be 18 in 6 months and my parents don’t let me out , if I leave with my boyfriend would I still be consider runaway ,oh if the cops find me what happens .

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now. We are not legal experts but we will do our best to help you. In most states the legal age to leave home without consent is 18 years old, so yes you could still be considered a runaway. One option is you could try and ask your parents’ permission, they may let you live with your boyfriend once the baby arrives. Another option is to call your non-emergency police department and see how they would handle the situation, you could even call them anonymously. If the police found you they would most likely bring you back home, you would probably not be in legal trouble.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options further please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support fo you. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

Do you think you can help me ?

Hi im 16 going to be 17 in 2 months and im 13 weeks pregnant. My mom knows and so does my boyfriends parents. The only problem is they might be moving to another state in about a month from now. My mother gave me her permission but I don't know anything about moving to a new state and what I'll need. My boyfriends mom really wants me to go with them because she believes its best for the baby. Any advice or comments?
    ​​​​​

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, there,
      Thank you for your message. It sounds like you have a big decision to make and it’s smart of you to think about your options. We would be happy to help you think through your options and hopefully make the best decision for yourself. We are here 24/7 to listen and help in any way we can at 1-800-786-2929. In the meantime, some things you might want to look into are the following: schooling and registration, prenatal care/general medical care, and how you would navigate your relationship with your new housemates. Hoping to hear from you soon,
      NRS

I'm 17 and pregnant, can my mom keep me from seeing my boyfriend who got me pregnant? I live in Pierre South Dakota.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. As far as keeping you from your boyfriend she can if he is a 18 and older. Reason being he is an adult and technically she can call the cops because of it. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

I have a question I am 16 and pregnant my boyfriend is 17 what if I move out of town and go live with him and his mom in another city ?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I’m 16 and pregnant and got kicked out my house now I’m living with my boyfriend but how can I get checkups if I don’t got my birth certificate ID or anything to identify me. My question is how can I get checkups when I don’t got anything that’s needed to make an appointment?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage to do so.  It's not OK for your dad to have thrown you out of the house and this can be considered neglect, which you have the right to report if you so choose.  If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful:  https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. Child Protective Services may also be helpful in you obtaining your identification paperwork.  

Pregnancy can often be overwhelming and creating a prenatal care plan can be a confusing process.  If you do not already have an obstetrician, you can contact Planned Parenthood by going to plannedparenthood.org or by calling 800-230-7526 for some assistance.  Your local Planned Parenthood should be able to provide pregnancy planning services, prenatal services, childbirth classes, and postpartum exams for after the baby comes.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.  You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage.  We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X