No announcement yet.

running away in minnesota.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven’t felt safe in my own home for a while, I can’t ever seem to get along with anyone in my family. They are incredibly conservative and strict. They never let me do anything with my friends and I can’t even be myself around them. I feel more at home in my friends home and wants to move in with her. The only problem is that if I do run away and are then forced to return home i fear that my parents will cut me off from civilization and become more mentally abusive.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I'm pregnant almost 17 and live in Minnesota. Can I live on my own without parents consent. Neither of my parents houses are safe. I was raped at my fathers and my mother has an abusive boyfriend that she wont leave help.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it is tough to reach out and we are so glad you did. I'm sorry that your parents are not able to provide a safe place for you during this time. You are very brave for reaching out and trying to find what options may be available to you.

It sounds like you have gone through a lot in both houses and we are sorry to hear that your parents do not provide a safe place for you to stay at and do not awknowledge the people they have brought around you. You do not deserve to be treated in such an unfair way. Since you are still 17 years old, you are still considered a minor which means your parents still have a say as to where you live. If you decide to leave without their consent, there is a possibility that they can file a runaway report and that just means that the police would be notified and we are not legal experts but what that means is that if they find you wandering the streets or at a friends they may detain you until your parents pick you up or they take you back home. What this could also mean is that if police find you at a friends, it can put your friend at risk of being charged with a misdemeanor for harboring a runaway.

It seems living at your mom makes you feel unsafe because of her abusive boyfriend. If you do ever feel like you are unsafe for whatever reason, you can send a text to the number 44357 with the word SAFE and your location (address, city, state) and they will reply with the nearest safe place to you. Along with that, if you feel like you do really need to get out of those homes, if you have any close friends or family members who would take you in until you are 18, that may be an option. You can always give us a call at anytime and we are able to provide resources to safe places as well as information about emancipation in your state if that is something you may be interested in.

You have a right to report if you are comfortable with that. We are sorry that living with your father makes you feel unsafe after what had happened. You can contact RAINN, they are the Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network and they are experienced with situations in which they will be able to provide resources and information on reporting or if you just need someone to talk to. Their number is 1-800-656-4673 or you can start a chat with them at www.rainn.org.

Another resource that may help you through this time is contacting Planned Parenthood. They would be happy to answer any questions you may be having about your pregnancy as well as your options. You can contact them at 1-800-230-7526 or you can go on their website for any information at www.plannedparenthood.org.

If you want to talk more in depth about what is going on or have any more questions about what may be your options, do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or start a chat with us at www.1800runaway.org. We are 24/7, 365 days a year and we are here for you and here to help and support you.

Best of Luck,
      NRS

edit from another post....

Runaway???

I’m currently living in Minnesota with my grandma who has guardianship over me, but I honestly don’t know if the paper is still legal. But my parents are in Arizona, I left them because my mom is very mentally abusive and she can become physically abusive. My Dad is always on her side about anything and he doesn’t care half the time but I think he wants to divorce her. I’m 17 about to be 18 in 4 months, my grandma can’t physically take care of me because she is dying with ALS , I pay for everything I have including food so if I’m out of money I go without. My grandma and I aren’t getting along at the moment and I don’t know how to fix it and I just want to be 18 and get it over with. I struggle with mental problems including PTSD because of my mom, so some days I don’t have a will to live. I had a run in with the cops a few nights ago and he called me out to be a runaway when it wasn’t true but he let me go, and I’m actually considering it now. So my question is if i do runaway or just get in my car and drive, if I am caught and some point will I be put in a juvenile hall or will they just let me go? Does Minnesota have a runaway law? I’m thinking about staying with a friend in a different state till I turn 18 then figuring out my life from there.

What do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at The National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been struggling a lot lately with instable parents and grandparents. And that this has caused you additional mental health issues. We’re really sorry that you’re in this situation that is not of your making and we’re here to help you as best as we can.
      You raise a couple different serious issues and questions we want to directly answer right off the bat:

-If you get caught running away in Minnesota will you be put in juvenile hall? The age of adulthood in Minnesota is 18 and, in our experience, the police don’t take legal action with runaways who are close to 18 because by the time they get processed into the legal system they are already 18. However, it’s very important to know that we here at NRS are NOT LEGAL EXPERTS and that we recommend you call your local non-emergency police department number to better understand your local laws. You can call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY to get the number for your local police department.

-Does Minnesota have a “runaway law”? No, running away, as an act, is not illegal. It’s also important to know that legal action against you can only occur if your grandma decides to file a runaway report. However, the legal response wouldn’t be jail or juvenile hall it would mean being taken back to your grandmother’s house.

-Should you live with a friend in another state? We can’t tell you what to do. But in our extensive experience you need to make sure wherever you’re going next is, first and foremost, stable. Signs of a stable environment: safe and independent sleeping/lodging conditions, financial ability to ensure you can stay there for a while, no drug or substance abuse.
      We also want to make sure you continue to pay attention to your mental health right now. You’re going through a lot of change, most of it unpredictable and unstable. You may have access to local, state or national mental health services given your age and situation. Please reach out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY to discover what services you might be entitled to.

Please reach out with any questions or needs in the future,
      The National Runaway Safeline

Hi! So uhm I NEED to get out of my house. My family is mentally abusing me and now I can’t be around loud noises because of ptsd. Anyways are there any LGBT safe places to run away too for 13 almost 14 year old trans male? I’m also asking for a friend cause his parents do way worse than mine do

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it can be hard to reach out and you are very brave and strong in doing so. It is unfair that your parents have been mentally abusing you and have led you to not feel safe or comfortable in your home. You do not deserve to be treated that way. You are an amazing friend too for advocating for your friend who is going through a worse time.

We are glad you are comfortable in reaching out and talking to us about how your parents have been mentally abusing you and created something that can be triggering for you. NAMI, the national alliance for mental illnesses, is a great organization you can contact to talk about the different resources and services that are available for you and they can answer any questions you have about mental illnesses. They are just like us, they are also there to help, support and listen 24/7. You can call them at 1-800-950-NAMI (6264), start a chat at www.nami.org, and they also have a text service and you would text NAMI to 741741.

If you and your friend do decide to runaway, although running away is not illegal, because you are still minors, your parents have every right to file a runaway report with the police. As a minor, it will be seen as a status offense, and what that means is that it is only something youth cannot do because they are a minor; for youth over 18, it is no longer called running away. If your parents were to file the report, there is the possibility that police will be actively searching for you and if they do find you there is the possibility that they will detain you until your parents can pick you up or they would talk you straight home. If you were to runaway to a friends or family members house and your parents know about where you might be, that could be whoever you are staying with at risk for being charged with a misdemeanor for harboring a runaway.

If you and your friend want to talk more in depth about what you have been going through. Do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or start a chat with us at www.1800runaway.org. We are 24/7 and completely confidential. We are here for you, here to support you, and here to listen.

Best of luck,
      NRS

hello. i live in minnesota, i’m 16, and i have divorced parents (50/50 custody). i’m considering my options for the future, as both of my homes are incredibly toxic environments (one much more noticeable than the other, since my mother is better at twisting the truth). both homes are emotionally abusive, and there’s a possibility of one becoming physically abusive. i have somewhere i could stay in an emergency (a friend’s house), but i don’t know if this would be the best option for me. i have a bus pass and could go anywhere in the state if i really needed to, so that isn’t an issue. the main problem is that i know cps would take my mother’s side, since they’re notoriously bad with emotional abuse cases, and i have physical evidence of my father’s neglect and abuse, but none for her. i don’t want to get caught and then be forced to stay with her afterwards when she will definitely use it as a manipulation tactic in the future. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and for sharing a bit about what's going on. We are sorry to hear that things at both your mom's and dad's are toxic and abusive environments. That is a really tough spot to be in and you deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel safe. It sounds like you have been thinking through your options to consider what might be in your best option. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation.

If you do decide to leave home, it would be safest to find a friend or a family member you can stay with long term. Something to keep in mind is that if you do leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway. Now, running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that your parents can involve the police to help return you home. In the event that this does happen, you can tell police you do not feel safe with either of your parents. This would likely prompt them to call CPS to start an investigation. You can call your local police department's non-emergency number to ask anonymous questions about what they would do in this scenario.

There is an organization called Child Help which advocates for young people in abusive and unsafe situations. You can contact them for more information on what CPS might do and how they can intervene to help. Their contact information is 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Hello, I have two friends, and they told me that they are running away. One of these people is my boyfriend. I dont know what to do. Should I call the police? But also, if i call the police my friend, and boyfriend would get mad at me. I'm not going to lie, I've considered running away. I've been looking at my options for a really long time, but I've never done it. Please help me, and give me options on what to do about my friends.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like two people who you care about very much are planning to runaway and you are concerned for their safety. If you believe that they will be putting themselves into a dangerous situation, it can certainly be a good idea to talk to any trusted adults in your life. Perhaps your parents, family members, friend's parents, or a faith leader.

We do have some information on running away that you can pass along to your boyfriend and friend. Their parents can report them as runaways to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. While they would not get into any legal trouble, if your friends come into contact with law enforcement or their parents know where they are staying, police would return them home.

We are here as a support for you and your friends. If they feel like they need to leave home, and want help finding safe places to go, you or them can reach out to us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org. Sometimes having a safe space to talk through a situation more in-depth and exploring some options can help you brainstorm ideas you had not thought of previously. You can encourage your friends to reach out to NRS to talk more in-depth about their situations. We are here 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible.

We wish you the best,
      NRS

Hi. I need your help asap. my sister and father hate me. they are so mean and never listen to me. sometimes I feel like I want to run away or start cutting. i dont want to tell my mom, though, because my sis has autism and she needs my mom. today i was trying to do the laundry when she started shoving me because her laundry was in line "next." she hurt me so much. i also have anxiety, and my dad shouts at me alot. my grandpa said I act like a 4 year old. i want to run away to pensilvania because my cousins live there but my parents might check there. my mom is waking up plz respond bye.

Comment

Hello,
      Thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. It’s definitely not okay that your sister hit you. It sounds like things at home have been very stressful for you and you are wanting to leave home. You mentioned you were thinking about cutting yourself. The National Suicide Hotline at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ is a good resource to reach out if you are feeling like self-harm. Another good resource is https://twloha.com/. We might suggest you reach out to your cousins in Pennsylvania about going to stay with them. We are sorry to hear your family sounds unsupportive during this time, if you would like to call us and talk about it, we are here for you 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Please reach out at any time and best of luck.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

my whole family is just hectic i live with 8 people and only 1 out of all of them i can talk but not about everything i don't feel comfortable in any way shape or form and i hate it especially with all this corona virus stuff going on i just don't know what to do i have no one to talk to and no where to go i feel like i'm stuck in this bubble with everyone surrounding me and it's a terrible feeling i just want to leave and never come back my little brothers don't give a care in the world about me my oldest sister care about nothing but herself her boyfriend and friends and that stupid phone and my mom just doesn't know when to give p she is so irritating and never listens to me she tells me that she just want to have some nice quality family time when she's the on who ruins it all and my dad just started living with us in January and he's gotten better but all he cares about is weather he is right or not and he could care less about this family to be honest my big sister is the only one i can actually trust and be happy around and i know she feels the same and i just hope one day sometime time soon we together can think of a time and date to leave this hell whole and of course take our youngest brother with us and just fine a better place to stay like with a friend or a trusted family member or anything i just want to go and never ever see this house ever again. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you and your siblings can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

I am 17 years old and looking for a way out of my emotionally abusive home. I have enough money saved to support myself and I can't wait till my birthday to move out anymore. What are my options?

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for contacting us. We're very sorry to hear about the emotional abuse taking place at home. That must really be difficult and can hurt very bad. Of course, you don't deserve to be treated abusively in any way. It makes sense that you would want to find your way out of a bad situation like that.

As for your particular situation, here are some things to consider:

1) You are under your parent or legal guardian’s supervision until you are 18. If you leave home without permission before then, your parents could file a runaway report on you. Running away isn’t a crime, but it is a status offense like breaking curfew. If found, the police can bring you back home. Perhaps more seriously, anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor in most localities. We don’t share this information to persuade you in any way, but only to give you some things to think about.

2) Sometimes local authorities handle things a bit differently if you are nearing 18. Perhaps a missing person's report is filed, but you wouldn't be considered a missing juvenile. You could call the local police non-emergency number and ask them if they consider missing 17 year olds as missing juveniles. Depending on their answer, that may affect how they handle the situation.

3) You could file an abuse report if you want. Here is a link with the child abuse reporting numbers for each county in Minnesota: https://mn.gov/dhs/people-we-serve/c...on/contact-us/. You can also file through Child Help by calling 1-800-422-4453. Of course, reporting the abuse wouldn't automatically lead you to being removed from the home, but it is a possibility.

4) You could look into emancipation, which involves getting a lawyer and going through the court system. There are a number of legal aid resources in our database for Minnesota that we can share with you if you give us call. One of these is Cornerstone Advocacy at 1-952-884-0330.

We hope this information helps. Please contact us if you’d like to talk about your situation some more. There may be other options that we can think of if we work together. Again, our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and you can chat with us at www.1800ruanway.org. We’re confidential, never tell you what to do, and are a safe place to talk.

All the best,
          NRS
          Last edited by ccsmod15; 04-25-2020, 10:03 AM.

Hi, Im 13, (born in june 2007) And I really, really want to run away with my girlfriend from Romania and best friend from Florida. I live in minnesota, though.. They both hate where they live, too, and want to run away together. Even if it means living on the streets. My family is geniunly not bad compared to what i read on here, and i might seem unthankful because i get shelter clothes food and 20 dollars a month but i never said because i wanted something else i dont want this. This stuff might seem mixed up but my life is a mess anyways; Im not very rich, my parents are divorced a long time ago and i only like my dad who lives a town away and had a baby who is my younger baby sister with a girl who is crazy they where arrested several times and parents lost custody of me so i live with my grandparents, i have 3 siblings im the oldest, Everyone knows about my depression as i attempted to get hit by a car at night on July 7 2020, I am alone at school and get bullied all the time, i only got a few friends irl that i s ort of trust and they are at school only and dont show much care about me, The friends i want to run away with are around my age -13 or 14- The doctors say i might have aspergers and i self diagnose myself with psychopathy or socipathy as i got all the symptoms if i notice enough i do have, i have adhd and ptsd verified yelling triggers ptsd, i am a pansexual girl, my name isssss annaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, ******** the national suicide hotline i dont like it, I dont have any cousins or friends to run away to and my parents wouldnt let me leave and just send me to the mental hospital because they say im not right in the head for not believing in god and sticking up for what i believe in which if they dont like what i say or do they take away MY stuff, i had to do stuff or im grounded from my electronics which i rely on besides scootering to live, i would like to live in a orphanage with my friends, I dont want to talk about my feelings i already got a therapist and also i already do with my friends also it wont help because nothing will unless being able to get out or school to end faster,

So basically i got no one irl and i want to run away with my friends who are poor in different states but we dont know how we can get to each other and run away also because our parents wouldnt let us do that if there is no option thats... okay... i gues..s... but i really prefer one. Also we would clean houses and stuff just to live each other. Please help us. I have to do this secretly. thank you, anna

Comment

Hi there!
          Thanks for reaching out to NRS!
          If you do decide to leave home, it would be safest to find a friend or a family member you can stay with long term. Something to keep in mind is that if you do leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway. Now, running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that your parents can involve the police to help return you home. In the event that this does happen, you can tell police you do not feel safe with either of your parents. This would likely prompt them to call CPS to start an investigation. You can call your local police department's non-emergency number to ask anonymous questions about what they would do in this scenario.
          There is an organization called Child Help which advocates for young people in abusive and unsafe situations. You can contact them for more information on what CPS might do and how they can intervene to help. Their contact information is 1-800-422-4453 or
          www.childhelp.org
          We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at
          www.1800runaway.org
          Stay safe!
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X