running away in minnesota.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that has been going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your aunt and uncle file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your aunt and uncle to safely discuss your feelings, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re : runaway in state on Minnesota

i recently left home the beginning of June because my mother has been taking in people in our house and my brothers are doing inappropriate things on the web and I just don’t feel comfortable living there anymore. On July 3rd the cops found me and I continued to tell them I didn’t want to go home. I’m 17 turning 18 in October. So two months and two weeks I’ll be an adult. But the police told me I didn’t belong in a shelter and brought me home anyhow. After a week at home I still couldn’t stand it and I left again. I’ve been couch hopping from friends house to friends house because their parents are scared my mom will press charges. I haven’t had a real home in awhile. My mother has contacted me and said she didn’t want me home anymore and that I will be put into shelter if police catch me. I’m scared because I have a job in town and I don’t want to be in a shelter where I know no one. My friends mom has the room and finances to let me stay with her but she doesn’t know what to do about the law and if she would get intoruble by the police. Should I contact police and just be upfront? Should I just go to shelter? In Minnesota I can’t get an emancipation is what the police told me? Is that true?

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us. It takes a brave person to ask for help, and we appreciate you sharing your story with us. It sounds very frustrating to live in a home where you feel uncomfortable and don't want to live. We want to do everything we can to help you during this difficult time.

It sounds like you have a history of leaving home, and the cops have returned you home before. We are not legal experts, but in general, we can give you some information on running away. It is not against the law for a minor (a person 17 or under in Minnesota) to run away from home. It is considered a status offense. When minors do run away from home, their parents can alert the police by filing a runaway report. This alerts the police that you have run away, and if they find you, they will return you home. There could also be legal consequences for any adults you are staying with for harboring a runaway.

However, you can live with a relative or friend's parents if your parents give you permission. Have you thought about asking your parents if this is something they would be okay with? If this sounds like a difficult conversation to have with your parents, we at the National Runaway Safeline offer a conference calling service in which we facilitate conversations between youths who have left home and their parents. If you are interested in this, please give us a call any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

It sounds very hard to be moving from place to place. You mentioned that your mom has said she does not want you home anymore. Legally, parents cannot just kick you out without arranging a safe place for you to live. If this happens, they can be reported for neglect. Child Help is an organization that can answer any questions you may have regarding neglect reporting and they can help you report the neglect if this were to happen. The phone number for Child Help is 1-800-422-4453.

You also asked about emancipation. In Minnesota, it is recommended that a minor contact a lawyer if they want assistance with this process. It also requires that a minor can show a reason for being emancipated and that they are able to provide for themselves financially. We can tell you in general that this can be a lengthy and expensive process. If you would like to try to get in contact with a lawyer, we would be happy to provide you with some legal resources.

We can also look into shelter resources for you if you ever need to stay in a shelter. We wish you the best of luck with everything and encourage you to call us if you ever want to talk about anything that is going on. We are here to listen and here to help. Again, we can be reached 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Sincerely,
        The National Runaway Safeline

So my family is extremely toxic and they're just not good people.. I've been in many hospitals for suicide attempts and they've tried to get cps involved but they didn't do anything . I've been wanting to try and kill myself again but I thought I'd I try and runaway it's something new. I don't have any friends or family so I can't stay with anyone I need help Suggestions?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about what has been going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. Your life is valuable and there are people that want to listen and help. If you are ever feeling suicidal and need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that if you are a minor, under 18, and you leave and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your parents so you could safely share your feelings, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Me and my mom's relationship is not good. We fight a lot and I have really bad PTSD from her, because she calls me these names that stays in my head. I want to leave but don't want to get in trouble with the law. I've been through a CHIPs case twice and I don't want to go through it again. I feel so empty and alone with my mom. I already know she's emotionally abusing me and every time I stand up for myself it gets worse. I really need some advice. I have a job and I keep a good job at saving and using my money wisely. I have places to go but I don't want them to get into trouble for harboring me.

Comment

• ccsmod9
            ccsmod9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Hi. I'm kind of struggling at home. I've been very depressed, and my family is not helping. I'm a part of the lgbt community, and they don't accept that community. I'm afraid that if they find out, they'll kick me out, or abuse me. I also have to hide a lot of things from them because they don't even try to help me when I do talk to them about things. I feel like my step dad doesn't care about me really, and definitely chooses my brothers over me. I get yelled at a lot for things I don't even do, and i'm too scared to fight back. I'm 15, going to be 16 in a few months, and I really want to leave. I plan on talking and getting advice about it from a lot of people before doing anything, but I don't know how much more I can take. The only person that makes me really want to stay is my mom, but she's really never home anyways. I know that if I leave it will hurt them, but would it be better for me if I did, mentally? I hope you can help at least a little bit, because I really don't know what to do

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline and sharing a bit about your situation. We are here for you and are grateful for the chance to to be of assistance to you.

Through everything you are facing, it is a sign of great wisdom on your part that you are planning to talk to many people and seek advice before doing anything. Life can at times have a way of throwing challenges at us that may not be possible to handle on our own, and it takes strength to find help. Furthermore, your awareness of your personal health and emotions, such as being depressed and scared to fight back is a very important and helpful asset that can serve you well.

It is great that you have found the LGBT community. On the other side, it can certainly be hurtful to feel that your family wouldn't accept something you're a part of. Nobody should have to hide who they are in order to feel safe, or to be yelled at for things they didn't do.

As mentioned previously, it is a sign of great wisdom that you are planning to talk to many people and seek advice. Something you might consider doing is to brainstorm and list everyone you can think of who you trust and might feel comfortable sharing your situation with. As you might have already pictured, these people could come from many different areas of your life, such as school, peers, health professional, counselor, a trusted parent(s) of a friend, LGBT community, or any other trusted adult.

In addition, since you have mentioned wanting to stay for your mom, it may be helpful to ask yourself if you might be willing to ask her for a serious conversation in which you let her know just how much you are struggling. It may very well be that you end up deciding you don't feel comfortable telling her *everything* you are dealing with, but it may be helpful to have spoken with the one person at home who you do want to be around. Since she is not home often, something you might consider asking her for could be some regular, dedicated time to spend with her alone. Perhaps weekly, or at whatever pace may be accommodable.

If you do end up deciding to leave, here are some thoughts you may want to consider while planning for your safety and health. Stability can be crucial to mental health, and it can be helpful to consider how much change you may be facing if you leave, especially if your first choice for where to stay doesn't end up working out or changes conditions. In addition, some other considerations to think about include provisions for your health needs, what happens if you become sick, and how to react to any strangers who make you feel unsafe.

Again, thank you so much for reaching out to us. You are very welcome to call us anytime to speak about your situation more in depth, or if you just need someone to talk to. Our lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are here for you, and we wish you all the best!

My mom is verbally abusive and sometimes hits me, she won’t let me see any of my family, I’m not allowed to hang out with friends or have social media and I’m expected to do all the cooking and cleaning in the apartment for both of us, I’m 16 and she won’t allow me to get a job or a driver’s license and I receive SSI Disability checks bc of my vision problems (I’m not blind and I can see just fine) but she has always taken the money and she won’t let me get a job bc it will lower the amount we receive from that which is unfair since it’s supposed to be mine, I’ve been wanting to run away for years bc I’ve been forced to take care of myself since I was 7 but I have nowhere to go and if I even tried to get emancipated she would probably beat me so idk what to do anymore, my depression has been getting worse the past few years and she won’t get me any help and at this point I’m either running away or choosing suicide.
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-14-2019, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Reply: My mom is verbally abusive

Hi there,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
            It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this.
            You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
            ou may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

If you are feeling depressed or having suicidal thoughts contact the National Suicide prevention Lifeline-1-800-273-8255
            Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
            NRS

Comment

Is it illegal for me to run away from a treatment program after being released from the hospital with no court order?
              I'm 20 years old

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi and thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We are glad to assist and answer your questions and concerns to the best of our ability. Just so that you are aware, we are not legal experts and so, the information we give regarding this topic is general. It may be most beneficial to speak with a legal advisor if you would like more concrete legal information. To answer your question regarding if it is illegal to run away from a treatment program under no court order, it is not. However, the facility is required to make sure you are supervised, safe, and accounted for- as it is considered a liability if you are not. So, there is a high chance that you will be sought after by authorities if you were to run away from the facility. Whether or not you are taken back to the treatment program, elsewhere, or allowed to choose where you would like to be is something we are not sure about and would really depend on the decision authorities make regarding the matter. There is the possibility that there is an option for you to sign yourself out of the facility instead of running away if you do not have a legal guardian, power of attorney, or legal decision maker in place. A form you may be able to sign is called an AMA which means you are signing out of treatment against medical advice and that facility is not liable for you if you are to be harmed in any way post discharge. It may be beneficial to speak to a case manager or social worker within the facility to explore the options. We hope this information is helpful to you. Please, feel free to reach out again at any time should you need to. We are available 24/7 via our hotline and you can reach us by calling 1800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat with us live by visiting our website 1800runaway.org. Best of luck.

I have issues at home with my parents. I am 17 years old. My dad said he would not call the police if I left home. I want to stay with a friend but am concerned that he will eventually call the authorities and the friend I am staying with will get in trouble. Please help.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello There,
                Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really hard time right now. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws.
                Before leaving home you may want to consider getting it in writing of your dad giving you permission to leave. If you had it in writing it may be more difficult to file a runaway report. If your dad was able to file a runaway report and the police did find you they most likely would bring you back home.
                We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck!
                NRS

I am a 17 year old girl and I turn 18 December 4, 2019. My parents physically harm me and I don’t want to press charges. Can I legally run away from home? I live in minnesota

Comment

• ccsmod1
                ccsmod1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension - you should be able to live somewhere safe and secure. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. You stated that you did have some hesitation reporting the physical abuse that has been going on. We aren't legal experts here at NRS but filing a report with CPS can have varying results which means that your parents might not face any type of charge but you might be placed elsewhere. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

As a minor, you cannot legally move out on your own without parental consent. If you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
                NRS

Currently I am 17 years old and for a few years now I have been dealing with verbal abuse, false accusations, arguments, harassment, and on several occasions, almost physical fights. During this time, I have been called many names by my moms boyfriend and constantly argue with him. Finally reaching a breaking point, I have told both my mom and her boyfriend that I will not stand around and let them treat me like a peice of ******** and have attempted to find a way to make the home environment better for everyone within it. Sadly, the response is the same every time, "You're not the adult." On several other occasions I have sat down and talked about me moving out, the response was "You can move out, but if you do we're going to call you in as a runaway." Other times I have just been told to move out, but I'm concerned with the potential legal consequences that I may have to deal with if I am reported as a runaway/ I have already talked with the parents of a close friend of mine and they are willing to let me stay with them. I have also considered emancipation, but the court process could be a while and it's also not the cheapest thing. After dealing with legal consequences once before for possession of an illegal substance, I had been told I deserve to rot in a cell and I had been told that the only reason I'm still here is to be their **********. Like I have mentioned before, I have attempted to discuss terms to make the home better for everyone, but it just results in an argument where I am told to move out or I am told that I am worthless. All of the arguing and harassment is really just becoming excessive and I have been considering moving out. If I am to move out, what are my potential risks? Will I get into legal trouble? If I leave, am I required to return home at any point?

Comment

• ccsmod1
                ccsmod1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like home life is really rough - you shouldn't be abused, harassed, or told that you deserve to rot in a cell (which you don't, everyone makes some mistakes). Everyone deserves to live in a home where they feel happy, safe, and secure. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your mom can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor (like smoking or gambling, etc.). If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mom.

It sounds like your mom isn't listening to you when you are trying to express your thoughts and feelings about your current situation. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
                NRS

Im sixteen i ran away from a group home and have a place to stay out of state will the state that i am from Pursuit to find me?

Comment

• ccsmod8
                ccsmod8 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello there –

Thank you for reaching out to us here on our public forum. Hopefully by helping you through your crisis, there are others in similar situations that can find it helpful as well. It can be hard not to know what do to in this situation. This must have been pretty bad if you to run away from your placement. From what we know, most caseworkers are required to report a child missing when they run away in their care. After that it seems like general runaway rules apply about leaving the state. We answer that question a lot on this forum, so please refer back to the rest of this thread or others.

Hope this helps! Please reach out again if you have further questions via phone or online chat.
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X