•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. However please know if you are experiencing any type of abuse please do not hesitate to gather evidence and report whatever may be going on. We also help with reporting so that you do not have to feel alone.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    Hello. My family member who is 15.5 years old has a neglectful mother, who is emotionally and mentally abusive. She is a drug addict who says she is allegedly sober, even though she is still popping opioid pills and said so to me. My family member's father is dead several years ago tragically and traumaticly. My family member said their Mother took them to her new boyfriend house this past weekend and they had to listen to them have sex all day all night for days. This was the tip of the iceberg and the breaking point for them and now wants to run away from their miserable life at home. My family member and their mom live in Wasco County Oregon, and I live several counties away also in Oregon. My family member wanted to run away tonight. I told them that it would be best if I advocate for them to come to my house with their Mother's permission. She refused on the phone and freaked out like a lunatic. I called Wasco county non emergency police to ask for resources regarding runaways. They said the county does Not go looking for run aways but that the mom can file a run away report. I don't want my family member to run away, I want to get this dealt with correctly and maturely. It is not healthy or safe environment for my family member and I am worried they will take drastic action and this is their plea for an adult to help them. And I am trying to show my family member the correct way to deal with difficult problems is not to run away but address the problem and move forward. Should I hire a lawyer? I called child protective services many times during in the past in my family members life but DHS is worthless. I will not turn my back on my family member and need some guidance. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi, Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. We are very sorry that you are going through all of this. Your situation sounds so hard, and that you have been through so very much. As far as your parents getting into trouble, we can’t know how the situation would play out with CPS, who the police would refer your situation to. Your parents are supposed to take care of your basic needs and, if your parents don’t take care of you at all, that is serious.
    Running away with your boyfriend is something I hope you’ll talk with us about. At 14 you are very vulnerable on the streets and we are dedicated to helping youth to be safe and off the streets. Maybe if we talk about your plan and your situation, we can help you identify your options. One thing you can do is to check out the For Teens tab at https://www.nationalsafeplace.org/ Their TXT 4 Help option will connect you with local youth workers who can help you talk things over, or there may be a physical location that is a dedicated Safe Place site. Another thing you can do is if you have an adult in your life that you do trust, maybe you can talk with them about what you are going through.
    We are also here for you 24/7 at either our telephone hotline at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or through live chat at 1800runaway.org Either way that is more comfortable for you to reach out, we will be here for you.
    We hope to hear from you,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 14 and I plan on running away with my boyfriend. A lot has happened with my dad in and out of jail and my mom going through rehab. But my parents don't care of me at all. She doesn't clean doesn't do my laundry she won't even cook dinner. If I were to run away for the 4th time and got caught again could that lead to legal actions? And also would my parents get Into trouble if I told the cops I wasn't being taken care of?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that your parents have cut you off from talking to others. It sounds like home is feeling really restrictive and you’re contemplating your next steps. We’re not legal experts, but from what we understand, if you are considered a minor in your state, your parent or legal guardian decides where you live.

If you leave without their consent, then your parent/legal guardian has the right to file a runaway report with your local police department. What happens after that depends on how your local police department chooses to handle the report. If your local police is willing to look for you, and they come to your boyfriend’s family home, they would most likely return you to your parent/legal guardian. The best way to confirm how your local police department would handle runaway reports is to call them at their non-emergency number. You do not have to share any identifying information to ask questions of the local police, and if you’re nervous about calling them, we encourage you to give us a call and we can help conference call out to local police with you.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you. We will not tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay safe regardless of what you decide. Please feel free to give us a call 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), or send us a chat. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS

Guest replied
    I am almost 17 and pregnant. My parents have cut me from talking to anyone or seeing anyone. They keep telling me that I am not going to move anywhere with the baby. They told me that I am not allowed to see the babies father. I am not certain about running away but, If I were to go and stay with the father, what would happen?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 17 and I want to run away will the person I stay with get in trouble for having a forum away in there home I police in Oakland Oregon

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 and live in Idaho and I was wondering if there was a way I could run away without getting in trouble. my best friend is 18 and I would be staying with him but I don't want him to get in trouble. is there a safe way for both of us to get out of this situation?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi, thank you for your message. It sounds like you are not happy where you are and are considering running away. It’s smart of you to reach out for support. We aren’t legal experts here but can give very general information. Since you are 14, you are considered a minor in every state. If you leave without permission, your family would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police find you they would likely return you home. Generally, running away is not something that you can be arrested for, but it is a possibility that the police could detain you until they can locate your legal guardians. We hope this was helpful! If you have other questions, need resources, or just need someone to talk to, we are here for you 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929. We wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

NRS

Guest replied
    I am only 14 and thinking about running away cause I am not happy were I am at. I was wondering if I did could I get arrested.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We hope that you are in a safe place currently. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. Our understanding is that if your parents have filed a runaway report with the police, usually the cops will be entitled to notify your guardian and take you home, so it definitely is a possibility. If your parents have not filed a runaway report, the police will likely not be looking for you but may find a minor alone outside suspicious and may approach you. If you would like to talk a little bit more about what’s going on, we would be happy to go over other options or other ways that we might be able to assist you. If you are interested, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our confidential 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am a 15 year old runaway, and wondering if I have to worry about cops taking me back to my house.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: My parents are moving

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Running away is a big step and it sounds like you think you might be pregnant. We understand that things might feel overwhelming but it’s good you are reaching out.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X