X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hi, I am 16 and am planning on running away.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline .

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.

We would be glad to explore options with you about your situation. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, I am 16 and am planning on running away due to my step mother. She has just told me about half an hour ago that her happiness is more important than mine, and has not let me out of the house to socialize with my friends in weeks. She has unrealistic expectations, which is considered a form of neglect by law, and was wondering if running away would be the right thing in my situation, and if I did run a way where would I go?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    replied
    RE: I am 15 and I live in Oregon

Hello,

We’re glad you reached out to us. It sounds like you have some legal questions surrounding running away and some of the potential consequences. We want to let you know that we are not legal experts and, therefore, do not give legal advice. With that being said, we can give you some basic info that will hopefully answer your questions. If you were to run away, your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have the right to file a runaway report. Now, running away is not against the law and, therefore, you will not be faced with legal charges. It is merely a status offense and you, if found by the police, will be returned home. You also mentioned adults harboring a runaway. If the person 18+ knows that an individual is a runaway and allows you to stay with them while knowing about the existing report, they could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway, which can include legal penalties. If you would like to know the legal penalties, you can contact a legal expert or call your non-emergency police department phone number and they could possibly answer that or any other legal questions you have.

We want to support you in any way that we can. If you have more questions and would like to explore your situation further, you can call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at www.1800runaway.org during the hours of 4:30pm-11:30pm. We wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic I am 15 and I live in Oregon

I am 15 and I live in Oregon

I am 15 and live in Oregon. I am wondering about laws against runaways, what happens if a cop sees you, and what happens if an adult is harboring a runaway and is caught and what the punishments are.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X