No announcement yet.

I am 15 and I live in Oregon

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    i am 16 and live in oregon. i want to runaway to los angeles, and the legal age to live on your own there is 16. can i go to los angeles even if i have to be 18 to live on your own in oregon?


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS,
      It seems like you are considering running away and trying to find a safe way to do so. We are not legal experts but from our understanding the age of majority in California is 18. States also generally recognize your age of majority from the state you originated from. As such your parents can still file a runaway report and police can make you go back home even if you are picked up in California.
      It is possible that police in California are more lenient and choose not to enforce runaway reports on 16 year olds, but that is not a guarantee and could even be on a case by case basis. Those you are staying with could also be at risk of a harboring a runaway charge, which is again up to police how much to enforce that.
      Hopefully this information is useful and clears up any questions you have. If you do have more or just need to talk and form a plan you can reach out to our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online.

  • #32
    Hi I’m 16 years old, and I live in Oregon.
    Some things are happening at home right now and at this point I need to leave. I know my parents will file a runaway report. I live about 70 miles away from Portland, and I plan on going there. How do I runaway successfully without getting caught? I want to be able to continue my online schooling, and also have a job for money. I don’t know anyone that I trust to help me, so I intend on being practically homeless. I know I probably can’t get an official job because they can use my social security to track me.


    • ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

      We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. NRS is here to listen and here to help.
      We would be glad to speak with you about strategies or options that might help you to cope better with your situation.

      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 9-1-1 and seek emergency assistance immediately.

      Take care,

  • #33
    Hi im 15 years old and i have not been home for like over a week and i have been staying with a lady that has been helping get a job is it illigal for her to have me my mom has not even reported me
    and im just scared if the police does find out


    • ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that if your mom has not filed a runaway report with the police, then there should not be an issue with you staying with the person you are staying with. However, if your mom does report you as a runaway, she could try and press charges against the person you are staying with for what’s called harboring a runaway, which is usually considered a misdemeanor offense.

      If you want to talk more about what is going on, we might be able to give you more specific and precise information. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at

      Take care,

  • #34
    I'm 15 years old and my parents always yell at me and put me in the middle when they fight, my dad also threatens me if I don't sell my dogs or put them outside he will kill them. I'm at the point where sometimes I try taking my life, my parents take good care of my siblings but when it comes to me I feel like I'm only getting take care of when they are in a good mode. I'm thinking of moving out since I know they won't accept me for my sexuality since they also tell me that I have to act like a girl and they say I must date a guy since they want grandchildren but I'm bisexual and when I get older I want to change my appearance but what I don't get is that my mom has a daughter who likes girls and my dad has a brother who likes guys but they say I'm not allowed to date girls or else it would be bad for the family. I was wondering if there is some way for me to move and live with a family member. I live in Oregon so I don't know if I'm able to move out. I have an aunt who lives in California but I don't know if I'll be able to go live over there.


    • ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there,

      Thank you for contacting NRS. We want to let you know that we are proud of you for reaching out for help and resources. That can be a scary first step, but you did it. Please know that we will try to provide you with the best resources we have.

      From what you wrote, it seems like it can be hard to live at home where your parents are not accepting of your identity or choices. Additionally, it can be draining to mediate the arguments of adults and you should never have to do this. You deserve to be taken care of whether your parents’ are in a “good mode” or not, and should never have the safety of your pets threatened.

      Please know that you are worth it and deserve to be happy, in a safe and loving environment.

      You deserve to have a happy life and you can always contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or if it gets really difficult and you are struggling with thoughts of suicide.

      Despite your parents wanting you to “act like a girl,” you deserve to live in your truth and choose your identity. If you ever need more help identifying resources for LGBTQ+ rights, you can check out the Trevor Project here

      We are glad to hear you have identified another resource with your aunt in California. Another resource you can utilize is Child Help 1(-800-422-4453), an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for transferring custody to live with your aunt.

      While we are not legal experts, please know that we are here to offer you any help or support that we can. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns we can help with!

      You can reach us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or through our live chat at We're available 24/7, and are always happy to listen, and to help.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp