No announcement yet.

I am 15 and I live in Oregon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am 16 and live in oregon. i want to runaway to los angeles, and the legal age to live on your own there is 16. can i go to los angeles even if i have to be 18 to live on your own in oregon?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS,
      It seems like you are considering running away and trying to find a safe way to do so. We are not legal experts but from our understanding the age of majority in California is 18. States also generally recognize your age of majority from the state you originated from. As such your parents can still file a runaway report and police can make you go back home even if you are picked up in California.
      It is possible that police in California are more lenient and choose not to enforce runaway reports on 16 year olds, but that is not a guarantee and could even be on a case by case basis. Those you are staying with could also be at risk of a harboring a runaway charge, which is again up to police how much to enforce that.
      Hopefully this information is useful and clears up any questions you have. If you do have more or just need to talk and form a plan you can reach out to our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online.

Hi I’m 16 years old, and I live in Oregon.
    Some things are happening at home right now and at this point I need to leave. I know my parents will file a runaway report. I live about 70 miles away from Portland, and I plan on going there. How do I runaway successfully without getting caught? I want to be able to continue my online schooling, and also have a job for money. I don’t know anyone that I trust to help me, so I intend on being practically homeless. I know I probably can’t get an official job because they can use my social security to track me.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. NRS is here to listen and here to help.
      We would be glad to speak with you about strategies or options that might help you to cope better with your situation.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 9-1-1 and seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
      NRS

Hi im 15 years old and i have not been home for like over a week and i have been staying with a lady that has been helping get a job is it illigal for her to have me my mom has not even reported me
    and im just scared if the police does find out

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that if your mom has not filed a runaway report with the police, then there should not be an issue with you staying with the person you are staying with. However, if your mom does report you as a runaway, she could try and press charges against the person you are staying with for what’s called harboring a runaway, which is usually considered a misdemeanor offense.

If you want to talk more about what is going on, we might be able to give you more specific and precise information. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X