No announcement yet.

I am 15 and I live in Oregon

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I'm 17 and live in Veneta, Oregon. I'm thinking of moving out of my house and I dont want to be brought back home if they call the police. Can I refuse to come home if they do find where I am staying? My parents also talk down on me and they are basically controlling like I am a maid at my house. I want to live with my best friend in Eugene. If that doesn't work our, I'll be moving to Junction City. If I encounter the police, could I tell that it was consented by my parents? My stepfather said word for word, "If you want to move out, we will not stop you." Could this be my stepfather testing me or should I take that as an opportunity?


    • ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline as it sounds like it has been stressful at home and also confusing in what you are able to do. We aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, they may return you home to your parents since you are a minor, but you are in a grey area since you are so close to 18. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who is safe, and have reason to be there then they may not make you go back. One thing we encourage youth at 17 is to reach out to your local non-emergency line number and ask to speak to someone who knows runaway laws and ask how they might respond. It is good to be aware that there is something called harboring, which is a person who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians/or police can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring.

      We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.


      We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

      Tell us what you think about your experience!

  • #17
    I am 13 and live in Oregon. I am afraid my father will hurt me and my mother doesn't care. He has a bad temper and says he is getting help, I don't believe it. He has blown up at me and chased me and grabbed me etc. I was wondering if it was legal to run away and the likely hood of getting caught. Also, doIi have any other options? my mom was threatening boarding school and my dad is out of the house right now because I am deathly afraid of him.


    • ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, it looks like you've reached out to us through one of our other platforms (email, chat, phone, etc) about your situation. We hope that was helpful, but if you have further questions or want to talk more specifically about your situation, feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929. We are here 24/7.

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove