No announcement yet.

I am 15 and I live in Oregon

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 15 and I live in Oregon

I am 15 and live in Oregon. I am wondering about laws against runaways, what happens if a cop sees you, and what happens if an adult is harboring a runaway and is caught and what the punishments are.

RE: I am 15 and I live in Oregon

Hello,

We’re glad you reached out to us. It sounds like you have some legal questions surrounding running away and some of the potential consequences. We want to let you know that we are not legal experts and, therefore, do not give legal advice. With that being said, we can give you some basic info that will hopefully answer your questions. If you were to run away, your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have the right to file a runaway report. Now, running away is not against the law and, therefore, you will not be faced with legal charges. It is merely a status offense and you, if found by the police, will be returned home. You also mentioned adults harboring a runaway. If the person 18+ knows that an individual is a runaway and allows you to stay with them while knowing about the existing report, they could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway, which can include legal penalties. If you would like to know the legal penalties, you can contact a legal expert or call your non-emergency police department phone number and they could possibly answer that or any other legal questions you have.

We want to support you in any way that we can. If you have more questions and would like to explore your situation further, you can call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at www.1800runaway.org during the hours of 4:30pm-11:30pm. We wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi, I am 16 and am planning on running away due to my step mother. She has just told me about half an hour ago that her happiness is more important than mine, and has not let me out of the house to socialize with my friends in weeks. She has unrealistic expectations, which is considered a form of neglect by law, and was wondering if running away would be the right thing in my situation, and if I did run a way where would I go?

Comment

Reply: Hi, I am 16 and am planning on running away.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline .

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
        We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
        We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.

We would be glad to explore options with you about your situation. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
        NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I am 16 and planning on running away. I am hoping to leave in a few hours so please hurry with the response. I live in Oregon and I have a place to go that will provide food water and shelter. Will the adults get into legal trouble for allowing me to stay there? My parents don't know them because we met at a Christian camp for kids with disabilities. Can I refuse to return home if they file a runaway?

Comment

Reply: I am 16 and planning on running away.

Hello,
            Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

In most states 18 years old is the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. A person under the age of 18 leaving home without permission, a parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city.

Generally speaking, a minor that encounters a police officer while reported as a runaway, may likely be detained until they can be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway.

A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call the non-emergency number of your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. Does that make sense?

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
            If you would like to speak more about your situation please contact us.
            To contact NRS call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with us at www.1800Runaway.org

Take care,
            NRS

Comment

what about a missing persons report? cuz last time i ran away they put one of those out on me and then i was found. dont i have 24 hours till my parents can file anything like that? i am also planing on running away soon again with my gilrfriend.

Comment

• ccsmod7
                ccsmod7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS.

Because you are still a minor (under 1, your parents/legal guardians can file a runaway report as soon as they suspect you are gone. The do not have to wait 24 hours. It sounds like you know what happens because you have previously runaway, but just to let you know, running away is not illegal. If your parents file a runaway report and the police find you, you will be brought home.

It is totally understandable that you might want to runaway with your girlfriend soon, but it is important to be prepared. If you want to talk more about this or formulate a plan with us, feel free to call us anytime at 1-800-786-2929. We are here 24/7 to listen and help.

I’m at the position where I’m packing my things ready to leave , I can’t be at home anymore my mom is just so criticizing , I’m always the bad person, I can’t take it anymore a lot of friends are willing to let me stay at there places but i don’t know what will happen or how I can reach out for help and not come back “home”

Comment

Reply: I’m at the position where I’m packing....

Hi,
                Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and may be looking for some options to help cope with everything.
                We understand that things can become so frustrating that you might not know which way to turn for a solution. It takes courage to talk about what you have been feeling.
                You are very brave for doing so. Good for you.

NRS is here to listen and here to help. We are here to support you at this difficult time.
                Sometimes having a space to vent and explore options may bring out a solution previously not thought of.
                We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more about your situation contact NRS.
                Let us know how we might help, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) orwww.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
                NRS

Comment

I'm 15 and in oregon, i live with my guardians and they are constantly yelling at me and I isolating me from seeing friends because they do not like my friends. I am planning on running away, I have many places to stay. My guardians are constantly slamming doors, grounding me, and yelling at me.

Comment

• ccsmod5
                    ccsmod5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey,
                    Thanks so much for writing in. It must be incredibly frustrating and lonely to live with guardians who are unsupportive of you. You deserve to be in a home that is loving, safe, and supportive, and we’re so sorry to hear that your family isn’t able to provide that for you right now. While we are not legal experts, we can give you some general information and hopefully provide you with some options.
                    You mention that you’re planning on running away. It can be helpful to have some information about runaway laws. So generally speaking, you would need parental consent to leave home. If you leave without your parent’s permission, they would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to locate you, then they would return you home. Running away is not a crime punishable by going to jail; it is considered a “status offense,” and usually there are no legal consequences. We cannot speak to what consequences your parents may enforce if you do end up being brought home. One option you might consider is asking your parents to stay with a friend or a family member.
                    That being said, if you still feel like leaving is the best option for you, you may want to consider the following: where you’ll stay, how you’ll get there, how long you’ll stay, where you’ll get food and money, and if you have clothing appropriate for extreme weather. If you would like to let your family know that you are safe, you can always use our messaging service. If you give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 and leave a message for your family, we can deliver that message for you.
                    It sounds like staying at home has been very stressful for you because of the way that your parents are constantly yelling at you and isolating you from your friends. That can definitely be really hard to deal with. An option you might consider is talking to a therapist or a guidance counselor about how you’ve been feeling about your parents lately. They may be able to listen and support you, as well as give you some strategies for navigating your relationship with your parents. Another option is to have a conversation with your parents about how they treat you and what they can do to support you better. It could be helpful to have another adult there to keep the conversation calm and fair. That could be a guidance counselor, therapist, or any other adult that you trust. Here at NRS, we are also able to facilitate a conference call and advocate for you to your parents as well.
                    Thank you again for reaching out. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and share what’s been going on, and hopefully you found this information helpful. Please feel free to call any time if you need someone to listen, help you figure out your next steps, or locate resources. We also encourage you to give your honest feedback of our forum services at the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think .Your feedback really helps us serve you better, so we appreciate it.
                    Stay strong!

I plan on running away soon; I recently aged to 17, in college, searching for a job, and I'm in a situation with my mother and sister; primarily my mother. We have had incidents of fighting in the past, some of those times leading me to feel so horrible about myself that it's become a battle for me to keep from attacking her. She constantly puts me down and doesn't want me to see my boyfriend, who she doesn't like whatsoever. I currently have a plan to get money, I have a place to stay. My boyfriend and I are also in process of planning on moving in together sometime in the near future.

I originally planned to attempt to be legally emancipated, but I literally do not know how much longer I can stay here without my mental/emotional/physical being in jeopardy.

The only issue I have, is the fact that I'm diabetic. I have to buy insulin for myself or I can die. I have health insurance through my parent, but how do I ensure I continue getting health insurance, and how likely is it that I will be able to get away from my stressful and mentally (and sometimes physically) harming place? Also, what kind of options do I have concerning being able to buy my insulin? (It would be roughly $500+ dollars, which would be difficult to come by) What other options do I have in means of being able to leave home sooner than 10 or 11 months for when I'm 18?

Comment

• ccsmod2
                    ccsmod2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear that you have experienced emotional and physical abuse at home. Abuse is never okay and you don't deserve to be treated that way. You have the right to report the abuse. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource to explore your options and find out information on how to transfer custody.
                    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. You could try asking your mother if she would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. Emancipation is an option but it can be a very lengthy process. We are not sure what options you have for buying insulin. You could try contacting your health insurance directly to see if they have any affordable options. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We also encourage you to give your honest feedback of our forum services at the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think .Your feedback really helps us serve you better, so we appreciate it.

Hi, i"m 16 and i want to runaway because my mom is really over controlling and said she was gonna send me to live with family in a different state i'm currently looking for a job i've interviewed at a couple places I want to stay in school but if my mom files a runaway file will police come to my school to find me?

Comment

• ccsmod5
                    ccsmod5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey, there,
                    Thank you for reaching out. It can be really difficult when your family is controlling and we understand how that can impact your day-to-day well-being. It sounds like you’re wanting to run away and want to know what might happen if you to. Since we’re not legal experts, we can’t speak with 100% certainty about what might happen. However generally speaking if you are under 18, your mom would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to locate you they will return you home. In some cases, yes, this includes looking for you in school or coordinating with the adults at your school.
                    It sounds like things with your mom have become tense and it’s understandable that you would want to remove yourself from that situation. However, there may be other options to consider. It could be an option to talk to your mom about how you’ve been feeling so that she can better support you. Sometimes it can help to have another adult there while you have that conversation, like a guidance counselor or a therapist. Here at NRS, we can also facilitate that conversation with your mom. We do our best to make sure everyone in the conversation feels heard and respected, which we know can be difficult to achieve on your own.
                    Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
                    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
                    Stay safe!

Hello, I'm not the child but I'm in the middle and want to protect myself and my daughter as well as help the 17 year old who has been left in my care.

Short story. My daughter's friend came to live with us about 2 weeks ago. She is 7 months from 18. Her parents have agreed to her living here. They come and get her once a week to go to her therapy appointment. They are her adoptive parents. Her birth mother has contacted asking for her, saying she will come get her now. The young woman wants to go but I have said no as I don't believe I have that right to choose this. I know a little about each side, I know the child best. If her birth mom were to come get her what do I need to do to protect myself and my daughter if the adoptive parents were to come after me. I don't know the birth mom. She has 2 young children that she has custody of and seems the children are not neglected nor abused. They seem happy we centered kids.

Please advise best options.

Thank you,

Dawn

Comment

• ccsmod1
                    ccsmod1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Dawn,
                    Thanks for reaching out to NRS. Your daughter’s friend is lucky to have someone like you in her life who cares about her and wants to keep her safe.
                    Although we’re not legal experts, you are correct that only her legal guardians can give her permission to leave or go live with someone new. Have you notified her parents that she wants to go live with her birth mom? If her legal guardians do not give her permission to leave and her birth mother shows up at your house, you can call the police ASAP and report her as a runaway. This means the police can bring her back. If you or your daughter’s friend would like to talk further or brainstorm some options, we are here for you 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

I am 15 years old and I have once tried to kill myself and I feel like my family doesnt understand and doesnt want to change but instead wants me to change. I feel like if I stay there any longer I will once again try to commit. I live in oregon so can I go to california and if I get caught in california will I be in any trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod10
                    ccsmod10 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation.

We want you to know that your safety is so very important to us and your life has worth. It sounds like you are thinking about ending your life. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

It sounds like your family is not very supportive when it comes to your mental health. It’s completely understandable that the way that family is treating you has effected your mental health. We offer a conference calling service, between youth and their parents. If you ever wanted our help talking to your parents about how you're being treated at home and the changes you need, we're always here to make that call with you.

If you feel like getting out of the house is the best option and you decide to run away, we can explain what usually happens. We’re not legal experts, but from our general knowledge, running away is not illegal. If you runaway, your parents can make a runaway report. The police don't always actively look for you, if they come across you, then they usually bring you home. We offer to call out to youth’s local police, with youth, to find out their protocols. We can also look for runaway shelters in your area, that way you have a safe place to stay at.

We hope our response is helpful. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you. Also, talking to school counselors and teachers about what’s going on at home could provide you with great support. You are not alone in this. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center if you'd like to talk more about your situation.

Be safe, NRS

I'm 12

I live in Oregon no one will take me seriously because of my age but I don't want to live with my mom anymore my only other family lives in California we don't have an open case or anything but we have been in foster care before is there a way I can move out before I turn 18 without my moms consent I'm not trying to move in with my dad I'm trying to move in with my sister who already has 2 kids and no job but she does have apartments to stay in

Comment

• ccsmod5
                    ccsmod5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for reaching out to NRS! From what you shared it seems like you are going through a stressful time. Reaching out for help is a great first step. We are sorry to hear that no one is taking you seriously because of your age. Leaving home before you turn 18 can be difficult, but your safety is important.
                    We’re not sure exactly what has been going on at home, but if you are experiencing any type of abuse Child Help can provide resources and offer support with filing an abuse report with DCFS. Their website is childhelp.org and phone number is 1-800-422-4453. You mentioned that you have been in foster care before. If there was a case worker involved, they may be useful to contact. If you were interested in talking to your mom about leaving and living with your sister, we can offer to conference call with you and her to advocate for your needs. We can also help you call other agencies or a case worker to be your advocate. It is important to have a support system during difficult situations. You could reach out to a friend, another family member, or someone at school you feel comfortable with like a teacher or counselor.
                    Please chat or call us at 1-800-runaway if you need someone to talk to or want to explore options. We understand that you are going through a tough time and we are here to listen and support.
                Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X