No announcement yet.

Im 16 and have a baby can i move out?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I am 17 and on probation. I recently found out I was pregnant. I am placed in a placement. My placement will not let me stay because I am pregnant. My boyfriend wants me to go live with him. But just recently I just remember my dad is still my legal guardian. Can I live with my boyfriend if my dad gives permission. Or does my Probation officers choose who I live with?


    • #62
      Reply:I am 17 and on probation

      Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

      It sounds like you are in a tough situation involving pregnancy and having a safe place to live.
      Generally when someone is on probation with the court they are to report to their probation officer any life changes that may occur during their probationary period.
      While we are not experts on the law and don’t know enough about your legal situation, you might consider speaking with your probation officer with your dad to clear up any confusion there might be about where and who you can stay with.

      If you would like to talk more in detail about your situation, please call or chat soon.
      Let us know how we might help, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) (live chat).

      Take care,
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

      National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

      Tell us what you think about your experience!


      • #63
        im 16 and pregnant , i live in ohio where emancipation isnt offered and my boyfriend just turned 18 in september. my dad will seriously harm me when he finds out im pregnant and i need to legally be removed from my home immediately , i can go stay with my mom but in the eyes of the law she has no parental rights. what are my options. Because once my dad finds out im pregnant mine and my child's life is in serious danger. what can i do? who can i call. I want the baby , no chances at all will i abort him/her. Pls help.


        • #64
          hello, i’m 16 years old and i have a lot on my mind. i love my boyfriend and we are pregnant without my parents permission. since i am pregnant me and my boyfriend can get engaged and i can legally move in with him without my parents permission right? my family is very abusive mentally verbally and even physically sometimes but i will never call the cops on them *that is not an option* i’ve thought about running away but i would much rather do this the correct and legal way i’ve had this plan for about two almost three years now and now that my boyfriend is 18 we want to make something happen before his is 19 in December (yes i’m aware of the Romeo and Juliet law but my parents do not give me permission) i am homeschooled and i have a steady job he has finished school and also makes money. any advice on how i can make this happen or just any advice in general? i have my heart set on moving in with him but my parents would never allow it (this is for our child)


          • ccsmod6
            ccsmod6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there, thank you for reaching out to us today! It sounds like you really love your boyfriend and are looking for a future where you are independent and happy with him and your child. You’ve already made some brave steps to get to that place, so you’re doing awesome!
            It sounds like getting emancipated may be what you would like to consider. This is a process that is done through court that would allow you to legally live apart from your parents. If you call in to our 24/7, toll free hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY, we can give you the legal resources you need in order to find out more about emancipation in your location and contacts to reach out to so you can get the ball rolling.
            While we are not legal experts, it seems that there is no minimum age to get engaged, however, if you were thinking about getting married right now, this is another thing that we would need to look up with your specific location to get the laws in your area.
            If you were considering about running away without getting emancipated, there are some important things to know. As long as you are a minor, your parents are entitled to file a runaway report, and that running away is considered a status offense, not a crime. If there is a report out on you and you encounter the police, they will be entitled to notify your guardian and return you home. It depends on the police department, but some police will take it more seriously that you are a minor and take action, and some may not. Additionally, any adult sheltering you (your boyfriend could be at risk of this if you do not get emancipated) could be at risk of harboring a runaway, which is usually considered a misdemeanor.
            If you are looking for more information on this, or want to get some more solid information if it is available, we can help you call out to your local police department to see what action they would take.
            We also have many other resources we can give out to you if you decide you want to call in and talk to us. We can help you make a plan for your future as well, and we are here for you to talk to us.
            Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen, here to help.

        • #65
          I'm 16 and I'm 6 months pregnant, I'm wanting to move out of my guardians place and start my new life, but I'm scared she can say no and I'll have to wait until I'm 18, she doesn't hit me or anything and I can't work but I get disability check off 800 a month and my boyfriend gets paid 300 a week, he's willing to buy me a house for me and the baby, but I have very bad PTSD to where I can not work and my guardian knows about my PTSD. But she may not hit me but she verbally abuses me and even once told me that if I wanted to kill myself shell even buy the knife for me too, am I allowed to move out when I turn 17 because of my sisuation?


          • ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for telling us your story and reaching out. It can be difficult telling others what has happened to you. We want you to know that no one deserves to be emotionally or physically abused, and you should not have to go through that. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

            You mentioned PTSD. If you’re not currently getting mental health resources, it can be really helpful to get treatment As your mental health suffers, you have -limited ability to handle the other stressors in your life. You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) to connect you to mental health resources at 1-800-950-6264 or You may also want to talk to your school because they should have a counselor for you.

            We’re also sorry to hear that you’ve thought about suicide in the past. Your life is very important. If you begin having those thoughts again and want to talk with someone anonymously, please don’t hesitate to reach out for help. One resource that might work for you is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. You can reach them at 1-800-273-8255. They also have an internet chat function through their website at

            Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway if your parents did not give you permission to stay there. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

            If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

            One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your mom why you want to leave and how she makes you feel. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

        • #66
          I live in Texas I’m 16 going to be 17 in January I’m in a serious relationship and I recently opened up to my parents about being depressed, I told my mom I thought I was pregnant but it’s to early for me to take a test yet and she wants me to have an abortion if I am but I can’t live with that on my soul I made the choice I made the mistake of having unprotected sex if it comes down to it what are the step I need to take to move out and be closer to my babies father? We’re in a long distance relationship about 1hour from each other.


          • ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are dealing with a very frustrating situation. No one should have to choose between partner and family, and we are sorry you are being put in a position where you are being asked to.

            From a legal perspective, you would only be able to move out without your parents permission by filing for emancipation. This can be costly or drawn out if it is against your parents wishes, but may be worth investigating if you feel it is your best option.

            Unfortunately, the age of majority in Texas is 18, so there are several factors to keep in mind if you are leaving your guardians home without permission. When a minor leaves home without permission, they are often expected to file a missing persons report. If your parents fail to do so and the runaway is hurt somehow, the parents could potentially be charged with neglect. Running away is an option, but if you stay at a friend's house and you are found there by police, your friend could may be charged with harboring a runaway.

            Another option worth considering would be to look into counseling. It sounds like communication may be a struggle between yourself and your parents, and a counselor can help one navigate situations like that more effectively, or at least make you feel more heard. We can also make a conference call between yourself and your mother. We would be happy to referee if you would be interested in trying to talk it out.

        • #67
          I am 15 and pregnant in illinois and my boyfriend is 16 and has his own place and job. Can i move in with him without my parents consent?


          • ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a really difficult situation looking to move in with your boyfriend since you are pregnant.

            Unfortunately, the easiest way you can move out is with your parent's permission. If you leave home without permission, your parents could try to report you as a runaway with local police. Being pregnant or having a child does not nullify their parental rights. If you are found, you could be returned home.

            You mentioned that you are pregnant, proper health care can be important in whatever you choose to do. One way to reach a doctor and find useful resources that specialize in women’s health/pregnancy is to contact Planned Parenthood at 1800-230-7526 or go to their website at

            If you’d like additional support or resources please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours, 7 days a week or chat with us online by going to



        • #68
          I'm 16 and I'm 10 weeks pregnant and I want to move out of my moms because it is too much drama. My boyfriend is 17.


          • ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a really difficult situation at home and are wanting to move in with your boyfriend. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support during this difficult time.

            Unfortunately, being pregnant or parenting does not emancipate you from your mom's care. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. So your boyfriend's parents could be at risk of being charged by your mom. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

            Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.

            We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.


        • #69
          Hello I’m a 16 year old from South Dakota this summer I stayed with my girlfriend in Pennsylvania who is now pregnant I don’t think my grandparents who are my legal guardians like the idea of me getting emancipated but I want to move down there to be there for her and the baby when it comes cause I feel it’s my responsibility my question is what would the court think of this if I filed for emancipation and or if I have any right to go down there without permission or if it is illegal to just go down there like that?


          • ccsmod16
            ccsmod16 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time, and that sounds like a really stressful situation. We are here to support you and help you in any way we can.

            The laws about emancipation vary by state. We have basic information about emancipation, so you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online for more information. You could also consider calling this organization to ask more: Black Hills Legal Services: 605-342-7171. In general, emancipation can be a long and expensive legal process. Youth usually have to prove that they are able to support themselves independently.

            We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your grandparents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there. Some police departments don’t accept runaway reports for 17 year olds, but the policies may vary by each department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

            If you haven’t already, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult, relative, worker/teacher/counselor at your school for help and support. You could also consider talking to your grandparents about how you’ve been feeling or having another trusted adult help you talk with them. Just so you’re aware, we have a conference calling service here where we could help mediate a conversation between you and your grandparents.

            There are also many resources that could help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

            Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

        • #70
          I'm 21 can i get arrested for moving out with my baby from my mother's house


          • ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello There,
            Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. In most states the legal age to leave home is 18 years old. Because you are 21 years of age you would not be arrested for leaving home with your baby. If you need shelter resources or a safe place to stay please give us a call and we can help you look.
            We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove