Im 16 and have a baby can i move out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 16 and have a baby can i move out?

Im 16 and have a 2 month old baby girl. I have problems with my mom and dad. When i was pregnant my mom would hit me, and even told me to get an abortion. Now she doesn't let me move out with my baby. I want to work and go to school but my mom doesn't let me i even told my therapist everything she would do so i wont have my daughter and my therapist said i am able to move out because i am 16 and have a daughter that i am considered an adult. But i am scared to leave my parents house with my daughter to move in with her dad , he works and everything but i feel like my mom would be able to take my daughter away from me if i move out because i am under age.

Re: Im 16 and have a baby can i move out?

Hello there,

We’re glad you decided to reach out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry about the way your mom treated you while you were pregnant. We are not legal experts and it sounds like you were given information about moving out by your therapist. We aren’t 100% sure, but it seems like maybe your therapist was referring to emancipation. We do have basic information on emancipation – whether it is offered in a certain state, the process, etc. If you share your city/state we would be happy to look further to see if it might be an option for you. It sounds like you’ve got some concerns about your daughter being taken away which we imagine is scary for you.

We are here to further discuss your situation if you would like. We can be reached directly either by calling us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) which is available 24/7. Or, if you can wait until tomorrow we offer Live Chat every day from 4:30 to 11:30pm CST at http://www.1800runaway.org. Hope to talk or chat with you soon! Good luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Yea maybe thats what she was referring To But I dont Think I will be able to my mom doesnt let me get a job or anything and i had been in trouble in the past with cops and stuff.-and I Live In Nevada .

Comment

RE: Im 16 and have a baby can i move out?

Hello again,

It sounds like you are interested in emancipation information. Although we are not legal experts, here is what we know about getting emancipated in Nevada. According to our information, you must be at least 16, living on your own and financially independent. If you felt comfortable calling us, we have several legal aid numbers that may be able to help you. We can even call along with you and help you ask them some questions. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org. from 4:30pm to 11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

- NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

helpp

Im 16 i have a almost 3 month old baby am i aloud to move out with my bitfriend with no problems with someone taking me to jail or taking my daughter? I live in high point nc

Comment

Re: helpp

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have some questions about your current situation and we are really glad that you contacted us. We’re here to help the best we can.

So it sounds like you and your baby want to move in with your boyfriend. Is there anything going on at home that is making you feel unsafe to stay there? We’re not legal experts here, but generally speaking if you leave without consent from your legal guardians, they have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made and the police find you, they just bring you back home. Sometimes having a child of your own might change things, and might change things for the possibility of emancipation as well. There are a few different legal resources that we can provide you for the state of North Carolina that can hopefully help you further with legal questions:

Children’s Law Center: (704) 331 9474
            Child Advocacy Commission: (919) 682 1129
            North State Legal Services: (919) 732 8137

We hope these will be helpful to you. If you would like to talk further, please do not hesitate to reach out to us again. There’s always some here 24/7.

Good luck and stay safe,
            NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Abuse, new home

Hi, I live in Jacksonville, NC. I just turned 16, 2 days ago. My dad has grabbed me and choked me because of his girlfriend about 4 years ago. That whole argument was about his girlfriends "toy" that she had left by my bedroom door. I've been dating a girl for 8 months now and when I'm at her house, I'll do chores and I get along with her parents because they are organized and give proper discipline. At my house on the other hand, my dad constantly tells me stuff to do, I would now the grass one day and a couple days later he would tell me to do it again. He yells at me if I don't do something right, he always tells me that my brother is dead in a ditch somewhere (my brother just got out of jail). My mom left me a long time ago and that's where I tried to go when my dad hit me the first time but she disappeared. Today I started yelling at him because I have had enough with the bossing around and how I have no say in anything and he also talks about me behind my back to my girlfriend. He elbowed me and I pushed him back because I though he was going to try and grab my neck (which he had done the first time) and then I walked out the door and called my girlfriends mom. I want to leave and go to their house where a real family relationship is. Am I able to do this?
              Last edited by ccsmod5; 06-27-2015, 07:16 PM.

Comment

re: Abuse, new home

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it sounds like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way we can. We’re sorry to hear about the things you have experienced and what you are currently going through, we want to help you in the best way we can.

No one ever deserves to be treated the way you have, if at any point you feel unsafe, remember that you are always able to contact your local police department and they will try to assist you with the situation. Another option could be to file a child abuse report, below we have listed some options that can help you brain storm how you can go about filing a report:

• Contacting your local police department. If you are being abused, you can contact your local police department and an officer can come out to your home and a case worker can potentially be called to the home and file an abuse report with you.
                • Contacting the Child Help USA hotline at 1-800-422-4453, there are counselors available there 24/7 who will be willing to talk to you about the abuse and would be able to give you more information about filing a report and what that looks like.
                • A school counselor/social worker or teacher are typically mandated reporters, which means that if you disclose any abuse to them, they would be mandated to file an abuse report.
                • If you were to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we would also be able to file an abuse report with you. Typically we would contact your counties Child Services agency and walk through that process with you.

No one ever deserves to be treated the way you have been, we’re sorry you have to experience this. Always remember that you matter and we are here to help you in the best way we can.

You mention that you would want to leave your home at 16, in most states, in order to leave home without parental consent, you would need to be 18. Have you ever considered or heard about emancipation? Basically what emancipation is, it is when a youth no longer wants to be in custody of their parents and is fully capable of being able to provide for themselves. If this is something that you are interested, please feel free to reach out to the number we provided for your state below and ask some general questions:

CHILDREN’S LAW CENTER
                Phone number: 704-331-9474
                8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday

Sometimes just being able to talk to someone about what you have been going through can help with your situation, if you feel like there is another relative or a close friend you would be able to talk to about these situations, perhaps you can think of a plan together. Remember that you can always reach out to us as well, our lines are open 24/7 and we would love to talk to you further more about your situation. We also have a live chat that is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

Concerned

Hi this seems like this is mums talking but like I'm a male, my girl friend has a 8 month old son he isn't mine but really I see the stress building up in her house not with me but with her nan. And she's 16 but everyday I just get told she wants to move out but I don't know what actually I can say or tell her to do

Comment

RE: Concerned

Hello,
                    Thank you for reaching out to us. It is great that she has you looking out for her. One things she can do, if she is wondering what her rights as a parent are, is contact the Planned Parenthood Hotline at 1-800-230-7526. They can help answer some legal questions as well. Another things you can do is have her call here at 1-800-RUNAWAY so we can get more information as to what is going on and help her plan what her next steps should be. Leaving is definitely an option as well, especially if she feels their wellbeing is at risk. It is important that if she does go that she has a plan to keep herself and her child safe. We hope this helped and we hope to hear from you soon. Good luck.
                    NRS

Comment

16 with no help

Hi i live in Zion illinois ,and im a 16 year old girl with a 9month baby its Hard For me to find a job.I Have no money my mom gets cash assistance Snap for both me n my child but doesnt do anything for us.I've been staying at my Boyfriends house because i hate it at home and i feel i dont get treated right at home.Where and what can i do to recieve help?

Comment

RE: 16 with no help

Hello and thanks for your post.
                        We’re glad that you contacted the National Runaway Safeline about your situation. It must be really difficult to figure out where you belong and how you will survive, especially with a baby.
                        It sounds like you don’t seem to have the support that you need or want. Trying to find a job with a 9 month old baby and no stability presents so many challenges. It can feel overwhelming and frustrating. On the other hand, your boyfriend is available to provide a place to stay while you’re not at home. Have you talked to your mother about watching her grandchild while you look for work? Have you discussed ways to share household responsibilities if she is receiving your Snap benefits so that you are both provided for?
                        There are a few programs that can be of service in your area. Please call the Comprehensive Community Based Youth Services, also known as CCBYS, for direct assistance. The number is 877-870-2663. CCBYS will connect you with resources in your area. Other available services include teen parent support, counseling, and perhaps job placement. We are happy to discuss your plans and help you find these resources.
                        Thanks again for contacting NRS! It takes a lot of courage to ask for help. We hope you take advantage of the information provided above. If you want additional resources, call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here to listen, here to help.

Comment

help with moving out

I am 16 years old, an I have a 11 month old baby. my dad is verbal abussive , and he screams and everything around my baby. I don't want my baby here. I have pictures of him grabbing ahold of my arm and a video of him saying he wants to grab me by my throat and beat me. I called my boyfriend and had him and his mom come get me and my son. he said if I didn't come back home, he would get them for kid napping. now I had to go back home, but he is stopping my fiancé and I from seeing each other. I don't feel safe being here, and I do not want my son here. at my boyfriends he was safe, we were taken care of. is there anything I can do to live with my fiancé and be safe, without my son getting taken away from me.

Comment

Re: help with moving out

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our online forum. It sounds like a really stressful environment at home. No one deserves to have someone else put their hands on them or threaten them like your dad has done. It also sounds like he is controlling you from seeing your fiance also.

Home is a place where you should feel safe. You mentioned that you have pictures and video of your dad grabbing you and threatening you. Did you have in mind to using your photos and videos to report his behavior? It sounds like you may be hesitant about doing that because you don’t want to risk losing your son. We can discuss reporting child abuse with you in more detail if you choose to call us or chat with us online.

You also mentioned that your dad threatened to press charges on your boyfriend’s family. We aren’t legal experts here, but he could file you as a runaway report and potentially press charges against another adult for harboring a runaway. Just something to keep in mind.

Is there an adult you trust, maybe a relative, that could help you approach your dad about his abusive behavior and the negative environment he’s created in the household?

The most important thing is that you are safe. We are here to listen and to help. We hope that you reach out to us via our online chat or our 24 hour hotline to discuss your situation in more detail.

Best,
                            NRS

Comment

16 and pregnant.

I am 16 and due in january . my mom liked my boyfriend in the beginning of our relationship but ended up not liking him because i was 15 at the time and she realized he was 17 . these last 6 to 7 months shes been trying to do everything to keep us from being together. Shes called the cops on him plenty of times. I am now 16 and he is 18 and she has even called child advocacy. She was boiling when i told her i was pregnant . at some point she told me to get out and live with him because she wants nothing to do with the baby because she does not like him or hia family. When i went for a ultra sound she than changed her mind and told me she was going to keep me at the house and she was going to help . i told her i dont want to , i want to stay with him she told me no . can she keep me from leaving and staying with him ? I was planning on just taking the baby home with me while in the hospital and just leave and go to his . would this be okay ?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X