No announcement yet.

Can I?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I?

    My name is ** and I am 16. But this isn't about me. My boyfriend is 17 and he is about to be 18 in 4 months. His dad beats him all the time and they never have food in his house so he's always starving and he has no cloths. He wants to run away but we are scared of getting into loads of trouble. He lives in Florida and I have just recently moved to Minnesota. Can he run away to Minnesota to live with me and us not get into trouble? I don't think anyone will ever find him all the way up here but if they did what could happen?
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 06-01-2014, 03:24 AM. Reason: confidentiality

  • #2
    re: Can I?


    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about the abuse your boyfriend has been suffering through. It sounds like your boyfriend is considering leaving home and you would like to know the legalities behind doing so. If he left home without permission, his parents will have the right to file him as a runaway. It is hard to determine how exactly the police will handle his case because it varies a lot by state, county, and even city. Generally speaking once a runaway report if filed, it is then entered into a national law enforcement database.

    The police do not actively search for runaways. However if a runaway is picked up by the police on the streets, transportation arrangements for the youth to return home is usually made (i.e. police drop youth off at home or legal guardian pick youth up from station). Generally speaking, the police do not go to the homes of where runaways are suspected to be. Sometimes the police may go to the known address to do a courteous check to check upon the well being of the youth. Remember this will vary and heavily depend upon that police station’s protocol for dealing with runaways and possibly even on the officer that is dispatched to the scene. If runs to another state, it will be up to the local police of where the youth is now residing to do a courteous check. Courteous checks are usually done from the request of parents and/or legal guardians.

    It is not illegal for minors to run away from home. However those who abide and/or harbor a runaway could face possible charges (usually a misdemeanor). The likelihood for success of pressing these charges will also vary by state and county. As mentioned above, if he came into contact with a law enforcement agent and is discovered to be a runaway, transportation arrangements to return home usually soon follow.

    We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are 24/7 and can be reached by dialing 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is toll-free, confidential, and anonymous. We can also be reached via live chat between 4:30pm and 11:30pm CST.

    Best Wishes
    ~ NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp