No announcement yet.

I am 17 and want to move out without parental consent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am 17 and want to move out without parental consent

    I'm 17 years old and want to move out of me current household of 8 people and move in with a close friend or family member. Although I have never been physically abused I feel that I am emotionally targeted consistently. This has happened before and I used to cut myself because of it and now that I am much older I feel like I need to be smarter about the situation and handle it to the point where I will not cut again. I have been telling my parents I want to leave but they see it as a joke and like I'm not serious about the subject. I am planning to go into the Marine Core once I graduate high school and continue on from there. I know I have people behind me who support me but I just need to know my options and what can happen if I just get up and leave.

  • #2
    I am 17 and want to move out without parental consent

    Thanks for contacting the National runaway Safeline.
    We understand that it must have been very difficult for you to undergo the emotional distress caused by lack of empathy or consideration of your feelings.
    It sounds like you have made great strides in coping with your situation and you are now making plans for your future. You would like to move out and possibly move in with a friend or family member but It seems you are having a tough time getting your parents to view your plan seriously.
    That must be frustrating.

    You said you are 17 now with plans of joining the Marines when you graduate. That's great.
    Are you to graduate this June or next (2015)?
    You are still considered a minor at seventeen in most states so with your parents still being your legal guardians that means they might decide to report you as a runaway with your local police department.
    To know exactly to what extent the police would act you might consider contacting the non emergency number and inquiring about run away laws in your city and state as they pertain to someone your age.
    Another option is to contact NRS for any information and referrals to legal aid or youth and family crisis centers in your area.
    Does that make sense?

    You stated that your parents are not taking you seriously perhaps you might consider looking at how you may have presented this idea to them. Have you written out your plan with details about what your expectations are for survival?
    It sounds like you have somewhere to go; possibly with a family member or friend. Sometimes it might help if all parties could sit down and discuss the situation.
    What if any assurances would your parents need to convince them that this would be a good idea?

    NRS is here to listen so if you would like to give us a call to discuss and explore some possible options you are welcome to give us a call. We are available 24hrs a day at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit our NRS live chat via our website available from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST) 7 days a week. How does that sound?

    We are glad you reached out to NRS in a means to express yourself. Great job.
    We hope that things go in a positive direction and wish you the best.
    Take Care,
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-20-2014, 07:40 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp