Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to stay with my aunt.

My dad is addicted to crystal meth and keeps coming back and forth to my house. My mom and him broke up because he has a girlfriend. She is still obsessed with him and believes hes gonna change. Also, my sister found bullets in his clothes closet and he has physically hurt her two times before. I am at my aunts house I am 16 and I don't feel safe to go home. Do I have to go home?

re: I want to stay with my aunt.

Hi

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about the way things are currently going for you at home. It sounds like you are living in an unsafe home environment. We are glad to hear that you have found somewhere safe to go. You mentioned that you do not feel safe to return home. Has child protective services ever been contacted regarding the abuse and neglect at home? It is very difficult for to inform you of whether or not you have to return home. If you are filed as a runaway, your parents could inform the police of your current whereabouts. It may be up to the police officer(s) who are dispatched to the scene to determine whether you're currently safe and/or if you need to return home. To legally be able to remain at your aunt's house, you all might have to go to court if your parent(s) are unwilling to grant you permission.

In some states you can file for emancipation at 16. The guidelines and requirements for emancipation do vary by state. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach back out to us again. We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be reached by dialing 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is confidential, anonymous, and toll-free. In addition to our hotline, you can receive live assistance via CHAT between 4:30pm and 11:30pm.

Best Wishes
    ~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Thank you

Thank you soo much for your help. My grandma is going to work it out with mmy mom to let me stay or calll cps.

Comment

i want to move with my aunty and my mom wont let me but my dad passed away so how can i move with her

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you have a lot going on, and we are sorry to hear about the passing of your dad. Leaving home is definitely a big decision, and it is great you are looking for resources and asking for help.

We are not legal experts by any means, to our knowledge the easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. If this conversation is too difficult to have on your own, it could be a good idea to have your aunt or another trusted adult/family member talk with your mom with you. The other two ways we are aware of are child abuse reporting is there is serious risk to your physical safety or emancipation. Generally emancipation can be a lengthy legal process and in most cases you would have to be 16. Not all states offer emancipation, and youth usually have to prove they could be financially independent and take care of themselves. If this is something you wish to explore, we could possibly help connect you with a resource in your area that could give you more information.

Leaving home without the permission of your mom is an option that may come with consequences, whether they be positive, negative or neutral. If this is something you are considering, please do not hesitate to reach out to us by giving us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org). We would be happy to help talk with you about runaway laws or help brainstorm options. We are here to support you to the best of our abilities 24/7/365. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best of luck,
          NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
      x
      x
      Working...
      X