•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod5
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,

It sounds like you are thinking about harming yourself or ending your life. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You deserve to be prioritized over material things, you life means so much more than stuff! You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk. Another great resource is the NAMI Helpline (National Alliance on Mental Illness) The NAMI HelpLine can also be reached by emailing [email protected] or by calling their hotline at 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) Monday through Friday, 10 am–6 pm, ET.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i tried killing my self but they dont care but they only care when i take their things

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    i am 14 years old and i need someone to help me to make a plan to run away from home so i can live with my friend

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello, and thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been feeling really stressed at home and not getting the support you need. It makes sense that you’re feeling helpless right now, but you don’t have to go through this alone.

You deserve to feel safe where you live and get the support you need for your mental health. If you’re ever thinking about trying to hurt yourself or kill yourself again, please know that there is always someone available to talk to you, 24/7, confidentially and anonymously. The Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available any time at 800-273-8255 and https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/. You can also contact us any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Someone is always available to be there to listen to you and offer support, even if you’re not getting the support you’re looking for from your parents right now.

It makes sense that your home life is feeling toxic and that feeling is making you want to run away or live somewhere else. You might want to think about what kinds of support you’re looking for from your parents, and whether there are other adults in your life whom you can trust to share your feelings with. Sometimes it can be helpful to think about what you would need to see change around you for you to get some relief and start to feel better. If you ever need helping talking that out, you can contact us at NRS any time via phone or online chat. We also offer a conference call service, where we can moderate a phone call between a youth and parent, to help make sure everyone feels their voice is being heard.

Guest replied
    I’m 15 years old I wanna run away my parents aren’t the helping me I tried killing my self once or twice they didn’t care they caught me vapping I wanna stay at friends house I live in Ireland cork city I can’t stand my family anymore my dad is super toxic to me and my mental health so is my mom

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. It sounds like you might be in a tough situation at home and you feel leaving might be your best option. It seems you want to know more about runaway laws.

18 is usually the age you are able to leave home without permission. If you leave under 18, your parents have the option to report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means your parents can ask that police return you home if you are found. While it is uncommon, whoever you stay with would be at risk of harboring a runaway.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail about your situation, please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hi im 14 and i live in Tennessee i want to make arrangements to run away. my home is filled with constant disaster and misery. im running away to my friends house but i need to make sure her family wont get in trouble. will they be ok?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

We are so glad you decided to reach out to NRS. It seems like your life with your parents is invalidating and can feel isolating. It is totally understandable why you may be feeling like leaving home is your only option.

The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. You know if this is something that is possible for you to obtain, but perhaps a trusted adult like your uncle could help talk to your parents with you. The second way we are aware of is child abuse reporting. Generally when a report is made, a investigation will take place to decide if the youth's safety is at risk. There is also emancipation options in some states. For states that offer emancipation, generally youth have to be 16 and be able to support themselves on their own. This can be a lengthy legal process, but we would be happy to help look into some legal resources in your area if you would like us to. You can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat with us through our website, www.1800runaway.org.

You deserve to live as your most authentic self and feel comfortable in your body and community. A great resource for LGBTQ+ people is called the Trevor Project. Their phone number is www.thetrevorproject.org. They do a lot of work to support queer and trans mental health and they may be able to provide you with invaluable support!

We are not legal experts but generally if a youth under 18 leaves home without permission, parents are obligated to file runaway reports with the police. If the police locate the young person they are generally obligated to return youth home. Also it is possible that harboring a runaway charges could be pressed on the adult who houses the runaway youth. To our knowledge, this does not happen very often, but it is absolutely something to consider. Please do not hesitate to reach out for resources, support, or help talking through any plan to stay or leave. We are here 24/7/365. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Ok so I’m 15 and turning 16 in December and I don’t really want to stay with my parents. They are very controlling and tho they’ve never shown any signs of physical abuse I am worried about mental abuse because a few of the friends I’ve told about my at home life have been suspicious of that. I’m part of the lgbtq+ community and my family is Christian… I’ve tried telling them but, they just stopped me and told me I was wrong and confused, Then never let me talk about it again. Now I’m in a relationship with someone and I’m scared that if they find out they will never let me see my friend/friends again. I want to run away but I don’t want to endanger my loved ones family or anything like that. I have an uncle who lives farish away who is accepting of me and is the only one in my family that really knows. I could really use some help.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    not sure what to do
    i’ll be 17 next month and I really want to leave my moms. she’s verbally and emotionally abusive and my household is very toxic, i’m from arkansas so I know that as a “runaway” all they’ll do is pick me up and take me back home but what should I do? our altercation tonight got physical and she pushed me and then as well was calling me all kinds of names. I love my mom but she really hurt me over and over and I have a place to stay at my best friends and her mom is okay with it as well.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey im 17 years old and wish to run away my parents treat my younger and older ones better than they do to me I want to run away or move out is there any laws against this I live in dalton Georgia

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello and thank you for contacting NRS! We appreciate you into using us as a resource. I am very sorry that you currently going through this difficult situation. It sounds to me that your parents have been very abusive to you. Although we are not legal advisors, have you considered about filing an abuse report? You mentioned that you do not feel safe at your household Has child protective services ever been contacted regarding the abuse and neglect at home? It is very difficult for to inform you of whether or not you have to return home. If you are filed as a runaway, your parents could inform the police of your current location. It may be up to the police officer(s) who are dispatched to the scene to determine whether you're currently safe and/or if you need to return home. You mentioned about either suicide as an option. Have you had constant thoughts about suicide? Have you considered talking to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800)-273-8255? If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach back out to us again. We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be reached by dialing 1-800-RUNAWAY ( 800-786-2929). Our hotline is confidential, anonymous, and toll-free. In addition to our hotline, you can receive live assistance via chats, emails, and forums.
    Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I want to run away, I have emotionally and physically abusive parents and in 2 years I am thinking of running away and living at a friends house. I live in NC and I don’t want any legal trouble or the police to come looking for me. My plan is to talk to my parents about leaving and also talking to my friends parents. I don’t feel safe in my current household and I just want to run away from it all either it’s suicide or running away i’d take it without a second thought, By the way, in 2 years I’d be 14. Any advice?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X