Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hi wanna run away to one of my friends house and I was wondering could their parents get in trouble? Because it’s not like I’m gonna say they kidnapped me because I am willingly trying to go there. I am 14 and I live in Chicago.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like your friend is quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned them being harmed. We’re sorry they are going through this. They don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If they are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage them to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you or them ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. They are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Help me plz

My best friend wants to run away from her family because her family doesn't treat her right and her father abused her everyday and she wants to run away to my house but I don't want my family to get in trouble with law and them go to jail and I live in dallas texas and she is 12 years old what can I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 16 years old and I live in Goodletsville, Tennessee. Right now, I want to move in with my girlfriend. I want to do this because my mothers always constantly yells at me. She has yelled at me every since I was young, and it made me become a very tedious person that lacks confidence. In short, with my mother yelling at me a lot as a child up until now, this means that I have experienced many years of mental and emotional abuse. And I want it to end. I have not got permission from my girlfriends parents yet, but I want to reach out to y'all so I can know if any of this is safe to do without my girlfriends parents getting in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that your friend is in such a difficult place at home with her parents. It sounds like you and your family are a great source of support for your friend, and you have some questions about how to continue supporting her to stay safe. It is never ok for anyone to make your friend feel unsafe, and we hope that she is currently in a safe place.

If you suspect your friend is being neglected or abused, organizations like Child Help, available by phone at 1-800-422-4453, or at www.childhelp.org , can help you, your parents, or your friend, file an abuse report with your local child abuse agency. If your friend leaves home without her parent’s consent, they can report her as a runaway with their local police station. We’re not legal experts, but from what we know, it’s technically not illegal to run away, but it is considered a status offense in some states. While it may not be illegal for you to run away, anyone that houses a runaway minor may be charged with harboring a runaway or aiding and abetting a minor. It may help you or your family to reach out to your friend’s local police department for more information on how that might work. We encourage you, your friend, or your family, to feel free to give us a call if you need help reaching out to any of these agencies, or if you just need to talk to someone.

Please know that we are here for you. We can’t tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you and your friend stay as safe as possible as you explore your options. You can reach us 24/7 by phone at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) or by chat at our website https://www.1800runaway.org/ . We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS

Guest replied
    My friend is 12 and wants to run away due to possible neglect and or abuse. She wants to stay at my place for awhile (I’m 14) and I’m not sure if me or my mom would get into serious trouble if we tried to help her. I’m also not sure if her parents would get in trouble due to them being the reason she possibly runs away. I want to contact a counselor for her but I’m not sure what to do to help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your girlfriend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to run away. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
    Generally if they were to leave and stay with you instead of at home they would be considered a runaway even if they are leaving a bad home situation. Without CPS/DCFS getting involved or getting parent permission for them to stay there your girlfriend could be reported as a runaway. This is a status offence so they would mostly be at risk of police bringing them back home. You and your family however might be at risk of a harboring a runaway charge. We aren’t legal experts but often as long as you don’t try to hid them from police and your home is safe the risk goes down quite a bit.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    my girlfriend wants to run away she does not feel okay in her own home she is 15 I live in the state of New York I was wondering what would be the consequences of letting her stay at my house because in her own house she feels as if she is going mentally insane and is suffering from depression and very bad anxiety?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to run away. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My friend wants to run away

My friend is 13 and she wants to leave because of an abusive household. Her mother has been mentally abusing her for a while. Insulting her appearance, shaming her for not knowing certain things, comparing her to other kids, degrade her, insulting her aspirations in life. Once my friend tries to address this, her mom tries to manipulate her into thinking that she really cares. Because of this, she has been thinking of running away. Recently, her mother has hit her 4 times (some on the face I believe), leaving bruises. She also allowed my friend's older brother to put his hands on her. Once she told our friend group (full of more teens, including me), we've all been trying to figure out how to get her out safely without commuting any crimes. We're trying her get her to stay with me and my parents, but we don't want to get in any trouble. Is there any way to do this? We live in Louisiana

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to run away. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon. Best of luck!

Guest replied
    If my friend is 16 and he runs away From a group home because he was getting beat up from the kids can I has a 16-year-old take him in and not get into trouble even though I call 911

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation. It sounds like not being allowed to spend time with your friends or use your devices has left you feeling like you need some time away from home. Not being able to connect with friends can be really difficult and sometimes feel lonely.

We will do our best to share information to answer your questions. We are not quite sure what you mean when mentioned being detained, but we can tell you what could happen if you were to leave. If you run away or leave home without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. This is not something you would get into legal trouble for, but it does mean that police would take you back home. Whoever you stay with is at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway if they do not notify your parents that you are there.

Unfortunately, going to a foster home is not that easy. If there is abuse or neglect going on at home and your safety is a concern, you can make a report to child protective services. This does not mean you would be removed from your parents' custody right away unless you are in danger at home. If there are concerns for your safety or well-being, CPS will likely try to provide support to help you and your parents create a healthier environment for you at home.

We want to talk more in-detail with you about what is going on at home, so that we can help you brainstorm all of your possible options. Perhaps there are ways for you to get more support at home or to communicate your needs to your parents. You can contact us directly for immediate support at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    help me answer quick
    hi im 12 and want to run away to my friends house for exactly one day i am spoiled and have the best life and best parents but im not allowed to go to friends houses and i havent had my devices in 5 months and im planning to write a note to my parents that i ran away and will come back in one day and i plan to be detained too can my friends and her mom go to jail and can i go to a foster home once i get detained

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X