•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Re: Running away to a friends house

i hate my life and want to run away to my friends house is this ok,my mom punishes me harshly and i can not deal with it I'm 13.can you help me i live in florida.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Re: Running away from home

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline! That must be so hurtful to not be accepted at home and to be pressured by your parents. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really tough time, but we’re here to help you and support you in any way we can.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS, but generally, it is not illegal to run away from home. But your parents could file a runaway report, the police could bring you home, and the people you’re staying with could possibly get in legal trouble. Each city and state may have different policies and laws on runaways. If you haven’t already, you could consider calling your local non-emergency police phone number and asking about their policies on runaways. There are many resources that could help you get legal information about running away, help you work through conflict at home, or help you with anything else you may be struggling with. If you want more information about resources, or if you’d like to talk more about what’s been going on, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for contacting us. You’ve been going through a hard time, but you’ve shown strength by reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Running away from home

I would like to run away to my gfs house is there any legal trouble?
    I am not being accepted at home for who I am and I'm being pressured by my parents
    I'm under 15
    And live in New Mexico

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    replied
    Re: Running away to a friends house

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safline; it was very brave of you to reach out to us. It sounds like things have been pretty scary at home and like you have been going through a lot with your parents. No one has the right to hurt you and if you ever feel unsafe you have the right to call 911 for immediate help. While we are not legal experts here we can talk in general about runaway reporting. In most states the age of majority, or the age when someone is legally considered to be an adult, is 18 years old. Until someone turns 18, his parent or legal guardian is legally responsible for him. If someone under 18 years old leaves home without permission, the legal guardian has the right to file a runaway report with the police. Running away is a status offense, which means it is not a criminal charge and does not go on your permanent record. Normally, if someone who has been reported as a runaway is found by the police, they are typically returned home. There are usually no legal consequences for running away unless the person is already on probation or has outstanding legal matters. Some states do have laws about harboring a runaway that can bring legal consequences against an adult, someone over 18 years old, who helps a youth that they know has been reported as a runaway. The specific laws and exactly how they are enforced can vary not only among states but also between counties. We often recommend contacting the local police in your area to get more specific information about exactly how they handle runaway reports and how they enforce the related laws. You can find the non-emergency phone number for your local police station at www.usacops.com. You also have the right to file an abuse report with your state’s Department of Child/Family Services department. If you have questions about what happens if you file an abuse report or are looking for support you can find more information at www.childhelp.org or by calling Child Help USA at 1(800)422-4453. We are glad that you reached out to us for help and are available via phone at 1(800)RUNAWAY (1800-786-2929) 24/7 as well as through our online resources that can be found on our website www.1800runaway.org.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    I wanna run away

I'm 15 years old and i live in Michigan. I want to run away to my friends house because I don't feel safe at home. In the past my dad has hit my butt and left welts. My mom's snakes me across the face and left underneath my eye to swell. The most recent time was when we were hunting and i didn't wanna leave bc he was getting worked up bc i told him to quit smoking. So he chased me around a tree and chased after me and shoved my to the ground. When we got home he grabbed me by the back of my hair and dragged me upstairs. Me and my dad are currently in a fight and I'm scared he is going to take my phone away from me aand I won't be able to get any help or I'm scared he is going to hit me. Am I allowed to run away at the age 15 and not get myself or anyone else in trouble?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X