• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod1
    replied
    RE: I ran away

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are in a tough situation. Since you are under the age of 18, if you leave home you could be considered a runaway. This means that your parent or legal guardian could call the police, who might force you to return home. Running away is not a crime, however anyone who allows you to stay with them could risk criminal charges for harboring a runaway. We are not legal experts, and laws are different in every state. In general, harboring a runaway might be considered a misdemeanor offense, so if your parent pressed charges against your friends for harboring a runaway, they risk getting into trouble. We are here to listen and support you however we can, so please don’t hesitate to give us a call if you want to talk about your next steps. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I ran away

I just ran away from home im only 14 about to be 15 in a couple of weeks im staying over at a friends house i live in Houston tx how bad may the crime be if the cops find me at my friends house

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    replied
    Re: Runaway

Hey, thanks for reaching out to us. We’re sorry to hear you feel you aren’t being treated fairly at home. That’s got to be tough. You ask if there are any legal issues you should be concerned about if you run away from home and stay at your friend’s house. Running away is not illegal but it is a status offense, which means the police could detain you until they release you to your parents. Much more serious is the fact that anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a crime.

Running away is a really big decision to make. There are a lot of other things to think about besides just the law. Fortunately, you don’t have to face this decision alone. We’re here to help you think things through and make a good decision one way or another. We might also be able to talk about some alternatives to running away that you can think about. Call us any time! 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Runaway

I am 13 years old and I wanna run away to my best friends house but I don't wanna get her and her family in any trouble with the law and I wanna runaway because I'm not being treated fairly at home and my parent gets me in trouble more than the others way more and because my siblings don't go anywhere Its like i can't either like they don't want me to be happy or have fun..I live in Tennessee is there any issues or laws that I should be concerned about

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    replied
    re: 12 and whant to run away

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out tonight. It certainly sounds like you're going through a lot with your parents and your family. Running away can be tricky and can come with unknown outcomes or consequences, so it was smart of you to reach out for some guidance. Let's see how we can help you out.

We aren't legal experts here and we are based in the United States. We know generally as to what might happen in the states, but we aren't sure what the laws and rules are in Canada. You're asking good questions and we wish we could answer them for you. One option that you have to find out the answers is to contact your local police department and ask them things like, "How would you respond to a 12 year old who left home without their parent's permission? Would you force them back home? Could the person that the 12 year old stays with get into trouble?" Reaching out to the police might be one way to get those answers.
    It sounds like you're trying to make your life better and get some support that you deserve. Who else have you reached out to in order to get that support? Sometimes when we are feeling really down, it's helpful to find someone we trust and speak with them.

We hope that this is helpful to you. If you'd like to talk more or have any questions at all, call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If you can't call, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X