No announcement yet.

Running away to a friends house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, im 17 in the state of AZ. my mother and I don't mix well, she's toxic and i dont listen. She loves to pick fights with me over really small stuff like If she thinks im lying, she'll grab me by the hair and throw me around, smother me with her body, threaten me, chase me with a knife, she beat me with scissors one time because I lied and said i wasn't watching TV. I have at least more then 9 scars covering my body. Im called a hoe and desperate for having multile guy friends. Me on the other hand will bring my guy friends over and my mom will freak and say "call them and ask them if you can stay with them because you cant stay here. I'll take you." BUT I dont trust that because knowing her, she'll probably make up a story and send the police or something to their house. Im running away because I have a 25 year old friend who said I could stay with him and im already in the process of looking for a job and when I leave im going to start the emancipation process and everything. So if i let my mom know like, "hey, im running away. (give her the reason). i'll be fine. its better this way. Leave me to make my own mistakes and learn from them" is that a way to keep my friend safe or something? If not, Is there anyway to keep my friend safe and to keep me away from my mom?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It takes great courage to reach out for help, and we are glad that you have decided to reach out to us. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and we want you to know that you are not alone.

What you have described seems abusive and we are sorry that you are having to go through that. You do not deserve to be treated that way, and you do have the right to file a report. One option would be to contact Child Help at: 1-800-422-4453, and they can help you file an abuse report. You can also talk to a teacher or school counselor about what is going on at home and they would be able to help with a report. Lastly, you can always call or chat with us and we would be able to help you make a report.

In regards to running away, since you are considered a minor, if you do runaway your mom can contact the local police department and file a runaway report. When you are found you can possibly be returned to your mother or be sent to a youth detention center. Keep in mind if you are found with an older adult, he/she can get in trouble with law enforcement for harboring a minor.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are available to you 24/7 to listen and to provide support through this challenging time.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Best of luck!

NRS

• i am 14 and i ran away to my girlfriends house can her parents be charged

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about your situation. It sounds like you may have been in a tough spot at home and you want to know more about runaway laws. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally about laws that affect youth in crisis.

18 is usually the age you are able to leave home without permission. If you leave home as a minor (under 1, your parents do have the option to report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, and you will not be arrested. It is a status offense which means your parents can ask the police to return you home. Harboring a runaway charges are not very common, but anyone you stay with is at risk of being charged with a misdemeanor.

We are here to support you 24/7. If you would like to talk more about your situation, please do not hesitate to contact us directly by phone or live chat. 1-800-RUNAWAY; 1800runaway.org.

Be safe,
      NRS

• Hello!
    I am asking this question for a friend of mine who is 17 years old.
    He's voiced concerns to me about his parental situation and has been trying to find a way out for years. We live in Troutman, North Carolina. Would he be able to stay at my house without legal repercussions? He would not have his parent's consent for this move.
    I just don't want my parental guardians or anyone being affected lawfully by this situation say, his mother called the cops on us for "harboring her runaway son" or something similar.
    Thank you so very much! I appreciate your advice greatly in advance.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to run away to your house. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
      Take care,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X