• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    ccsmod1
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like your friend's parents (or guardians) have contacted the police to file a runaway report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If your friend is located by the authorities they will most likely be returned to their parents/guardians. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but, your parents, or whoever is the adult in your home could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your friend's parents/guardians view the situation.

Of course, it may be beneficial for your friend to speak to us directly to go in depth about the situation and to explore other options that they may have. Your friend can reach out by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. They can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hey, i live in arizona i have a friend who ran away and has a missing person report out on them. they are asking me if they can stay at my place for a little bit but i don’t want to risk myself and my family getting in trouble with the law. i’m 15 my friend is 13 and i still live at home with my mother. if we don’t take them in they will be on the streets but if we do take them in we might risk legal consequences what’s the best thing to do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod15
    Hi there. Thanks for contacting us. We are sorry your girlfriend is being abused. That's totally unacceptable and she doesn't deserve that. One option would be to file an abuse report to your state's child protective services number or simply call the police. But that's up to you and her. We never tell anyone what to do.

Now, if she does decide to leave home her parents have the option of filing a runaway report. Anyone she stays with could be considered harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor.

We'd like to help out further but probably need more information about the situation. If you or your girlfriend can give us a call that would be the best way we can help. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and we are confidential. We can help you both figure out what your best options are.

Hope to hear from you,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15 butmy girlfriend is 1 1/2 years younger than me she wants to run away from her family because they are abusive and they don't listen to her what should I do and she wants to live with me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out. Sounds like you are really mature and wanting to leave home before you turn 18 and become a legal adult. Here at NRS, we are not legal experts but we can speak generally.

If you leave your parents could attempt to report you as a runaway with local police, and yes, it could be possible that police could force you home. At 17 years old, police response can really vary depending on your state laws, your situation, and if you are in a safe place. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you would like assistance calling out to local police to learn about how they would handle your situation if you left.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation, need resources, or need support. We are always here.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    if im 17 years old and i run away but im still going to school and i work and i make about $800 to $700 nothing wrong with my family everything fine but i just want to leave and we have are own house and my mom calls the police do i have to go back my mom hosue

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Home should be a place where you feel safe and can relax. Not having that can make things seem impossible to bare. You deserve to be loved and made to feel safe. Since you mentioned that you want to run away we feel the need to tell you that if you do decide to runaway that leaving home without parental consent (running away) is not a crime, so the police will not arrest you. If you do leave home without permission your guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime it is a status offence (something that only a minor can get in trouble for: truancy, buying cigarettes, etc.) this means that if you have any interaction with the police they will simply return you home. On the other hand the people that you are found to be staying with could face legal consequences that vary depending on your state. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department.
    If you would like to talk further about your plan to leave home we can do so. It already sounds like you are aware that needing a stable place to live is important to the success of you leaving home. With that being said we do have a database of resources that might be able to help you keep safe and off the streets. You are always welcome to give us a call anytime 1-800-786-2929
    Best wishes,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 12 I want to run away
    but u dont know where to go. My home life is terrible theres always shouting and swearing and threats I dont want to live there but dont wanna go into care.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that things with your family have been deteriorating to a point where you feel like you need to leave.

To answer your questions:
    If you ran away, regardless of whether you were having a tough time, your parents would have the right to file a runaway report with the police. While it’s not illegal to run away, it is considered a status offense much like smoking a cigarette underage. If you encountered the police, generally they would notify your guardians and take you home. Additionally, your parents would have the right to press charges against whomever you were staying with for “harboring a runaway”. While we are not legal experts, it is our understanding that this is considered a misdemeanor offense.
    As we said before, it is not illegal to run away. You should not get arrested for planning to do it or actually doing it. Police can hold you in a juvenile detention center if they are unable to return you to your parents, but you should not be charged with anything.
    There are some circumstances where the police can track your phone. Also, your parents may be able to track your phone as well on their own. Typically, the police do not track the phones of runaways though there may be some exceptions to that.

If you have more questions or if you want to talk more about what is going on, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org. We’d be happy to answer whatever we can.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi! so I have family problems, and I have been able to voice out most of my problems, but my parents disregard it. I’m 16. And my home is very toxic with negative comments that make me feel like they don’t need me anymore and say I’m a problem, which feeds me into running away more. I live in colorado too. And I have a couple of questions.
    1. if i ever felt like running away during a rough time through family, and not tell anyone except my friends and stay at a friends house and stuff, would they get in trouble?
    2. would i get in trouble for planning out my runaway? I’ve heard rumors that you can get charged or something like that?? or maybe I misheard
    3. if I brought my phone with me, would the cops be able to track my phone? (there’s more questions about that.
    I realize that you guys are not professionals with this.
    I do have food, money, and water to take with me just in case and stuff.. but I just.. I don’t know. I have more questions about the phone tracking and stuff with the cops, but I know you wouldnt be able to answer that.. But maybe you could lead me to someone or something that can?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your friend is in a really rough situation and it is important and good that you would advocate on her behalf. Being a supportive friend is not easy and we want you to know that we recognize that.

So, if your friend ran away, her mom would have the right to file a runaway report with the police on her. This doesn’t mean they would arrest her and it doesn’t mean they are going to take her to jail. Running away is not illegal. If your friend encounters the police while she has a runaway report out on her, they will usually notify her guardian and return her home.

If she was staying with someone who knew she was a runaway, her mom would usually be entitled to try and press charges against the person who your friend is staying with. This is called “harboring a runaway”. While we are not legal experts, it is our understanding that this is usually considered a misdemeanor offense.

If the risks of running away are too much, it may be a good idea for you to consider reporting what is going on at home. If you have any evidence of the way your mom has been treating your friend, that would be important to such a report. Usually, separation of a family is the last resort for Child Protective Services. Additionally, there is a possibility that the youth would live with someone they already knew rather than foster care. If you want to understand the process of abuse reporting or what could come of it, please reach out to the National Child Abuse Hotline. Reaching out to them does not mean you have to make a report. You can just ask them questions if you want.

If you have any other questions for us or if you would like to talk about what other options there might be for your friend, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Guest replied
    My friend has a horrible life at the moment, her mother is completely neglecting her and isn’t feeding her- she wants to runaway to my house since she doesn’t even have a phone to contact 911 and she also doesn’t want to be in foster care and have to take her chances with that, she is 13..also she has tried reaching out to a family member but instead her mother found out and abused her for that and I’m the only person close enough for her to run too, but I want to know if this is a bad move and will get me and my mother in legal trouble.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod8
    Hello there –

Thank you for reaching out to us here on our public forum. Hopefully by helping you through your crisis, there are others in similar situations that can find it helpful as well. It can be hard not to know what do to in this situation. Sounds like there are some issues at home if your brother keeps leaving home without your father’s permission and stays away for long periods of time. From what we know, the parent or legal guardian has the right file a runaway report when a child in their care has leave without permission. This might mean calling out to the police and getting them involved. Now every law enforcement is going to be different on what they can or cannot do, so they might be able to go over to the house that your brother is staying at and take him home from there. If your brother is concerned or wants to get a straight answer, he might have to reach out to the local non-emergency police by calling and asking some questions about leaving home and coming back.

Hope that this was helpful. Please feel free to reach out us again via phone or online chat if you have further questions.

Guest replied
    So my brother stays at a friends house at long periods at a time 4-7 days and my dad threatens to call the police to come get him, but from what my brother says he cant be forces home unless hes in danger ect is he correct??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It sounds like you're having a hard time right now, running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents (or guardians) can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents/guardians.

If you’d like to go over the bad things going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X