Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17 years old and want to move out of my parents house without their permission.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello,

I am currently 17 and I don’t want to live with my Mother anymore. All my life she has made me feel like I’m not welcome. And she doesn’t treat me very nicely. I feel as if she loves my siblings more than she even loves me. We recently got kicked out of our house that we’ve lived in for 5 years. I’ve made so much friends that made me feel like I meant something. And showed me what my purpose in life was and all kinds of stuff. That put a big impact in my life. And I have a boyfriend of 2 years and she stopped letting me see him whenever she started dating his moms x boyfriend. And it made me go into a deep pit of depression. When we got kicked out I was forced to go back to Ohio. Then she started looking at houses. She just got a trailer outside of my school area and hometown. I want to run away because I don’t want to live in the middle of nowhere. I’m a Senior in high school she promised that she would let me stay until I graduated but she lied to me. I don’t want any of this to happen. I’m a senior in High School I don’t want to lose all contact with my friends and my boyfriend. Am I legally allowed to tell her that I don’t want to live with her anymore. Can I call anybody that can tell her directly that I don’t have to live with her. I’m just tired of her making my life stressful.

Please give me some one advice on what to do.

-Emily F.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Emily,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear about the way your mom treats you. We are not legal experts so we cannot say for sure what you could do. However, you may want to consider asking your mom if she would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. Another option that you have is looking into emancipation laws for your state. If you don't feel safe at home, you have the right to contact CPS. We hope that this information is helpful, if you have any additional questions or just want to talk please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• Hello? I need help

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you're looking for help. Please feel free to call us through our 24/7 hotline: 1-800-786-2929. We'd be happy to explore your situation and help you figure out your next steps. If that's not an option, you can also use our chat function on this website. Hope to hear from you soon.

__NRS

• I'm 17, in foster care but I'm afraid they'll send me back to my parents. I'll be 18 in 8 months and I know my dad will probably shoot me if I have to go back home. I have a friend who rents an apartment and she is willing to let me stay there, and I have a well paying job so I can help with rent. Can I run away while in DHS custody? What all would police do to find me? If I run away once I'm back home would it be different? Thanks.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thanks for reaching out to us via our forum! We’re here to help in any way we can, you’re being very brave.

It makes sense that you don’t want to return home when your father is so violent and you’re fearing for you safety. We’re not legal experts, so we can’t say for sure what CPS or the police would do if you ran away. We do know that some states can keep youth as a ward until they turn 21. We offer to call out to youth’s local police, so we are more than willing to make calls with you to find out your rights/options. It may also be helpful to reach out to a case worker, if you have one, to let them know how afraid you are to return home.

We also have legal aid resources in our database if you’d like to be connected to one. They’re lawyers who help youth for free and they could help you find ways to legally live with your friend. Give us a call or chat with us if you’d like us to look for those for you.

We thank you for contacting us and we hope this information has been helpful. Please feel free to reach out to us through our 24/7 hotline or through our online chat if you want to discuss your situation in more detail.

Stay strong,
      NRS

• Hi my name is Ahri, I am 17 and have been living with my sister for the last year because my mother was deployed for military business.
    I have to move back in with her until I am 18.
    I have barely improved in my mental state in the last year from all the traumatic issues she has caused me. I cannot stay with my sister and I really don't have any other options.
    I have graduated high school and I am currently dating someone over 18 who wants to help me get out of this situation. I found out today that she is back and is planning on taking me back home with her.
    She has caused me many issues including PTSD and I have just completed my required therapy only to find out all that hard work is going to be ruined.
    I really considered packing a bag and running away, it seems better than being put back into a traumatic place.
    What can I do besides run away? What options do I have besides suffering through it?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are very sorry to hear about the issues that you faced living with your mom. You could contact Child Help (1-800-422-4453) to explore your options that you have and get information on how to transfer custody. The easiest way to leave home is with parental consent. You could try asking your mom if she would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. You may also want to look into emancipation laws for your state. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• I'm from Texas , I am 17 with a 2 year old .I don't want to live in my household anymore.. my grandma isn't letting me work because her benefits will be taken away which I doubt.. she says if I want to work to move out , we're always having problems and if she doesn't kick me out my mom kicks me out and she doesn't even live with us and they tell me to live with my dad and I don't speak to him and he was barely apart of my life , a very close friend of mine , her mom wants us to move in with them without hesitation but I just don't wanna be put as a runaway if that's even a thing for a teen parent ..

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear that your grandmother isn't allowing you to work. It sounds like you would like to move in with your friend. The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with your guardian's consent. You could ask your grandmother if she would allow you to stay with your friend. If you were to leave without your guardian's consent, they have the right to file a runaway report on you. With a runaway report, if the police find they may return you back to your grandmother. Running away isn't against the law so you wouldn't get arrested but your friend's family could get charged with harboring a runaway. We hope that this information helps, please feel to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• Ok so I would like others opinions on this. I’m 17 right now I turn 18 in may. I’m currently in 11th grade and was moved to Florida in June. I would like to move back to my home town and finish my senior year because the school has a vocational schooling I can go to to pursue my career. Yes I know I can move out at 18 legall. What I would like to know is if this a good option. It’s rough at home, I’ve been dating this girl for a while now her parents are very nice, caring. They’re telling me to move back and live in a motel and finish highschool there. My parents and family are telling me I should just finish school here in Florida. My head is just spinning and I don’t know what to do. I would like to finish my high school senior year at my old school so I can try and pursue my career but then, my head is telling me to just stay here. I don’t know what to do need help please!

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out. It can be difficult to try and figure what to do, especially when you don’t feel supported at home. It sounds like you have given this decision a lot of thought and are deciding where you should finish high school. We are not legal experts, but running is not illegal it is a status offense. This means it is something you can’t do because of your age. It is possible that if you decided to move out your parents could file a runaway report. The way the police would handle this can differ state to state. Sometimes when a runaway report is filed for someone who is close to 18 the police don’t always return them home. However, it is up to the local police department. If you would like to know how that might be handled you could call the local non-emergency police and ask how they would hand the report. If you don’t feel comfortable doing so you could call us and we could also call them and ask for you.
      When considering whether or not to leave home, it is good to consider what your resources are in terms of food, shelter, money, and transportation. For example, how would you support yourself while finishing high school? It can also be helpful to consider discussing this decision with your family further if you feel comfortable doing so.
      Thank you again for reaching. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help. If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929. We are confidential and willing to talk 24/7.

• I'm 17 and I live in Nebraska. I'm trying to get out of my mother's house. I feel very different from my family and I feel like I'd be better off on my own. I have another home to go to if anything else but she always threatens to call me in. I've put a lot of thought into just running away but I don't want to run away I just need out of here!!

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that you have much to think about not to mention you must be going through a stressful. We appreciate you taking the time to stop by and ask for help. Our hope is that we would provide you with tips and resources to help you make a more informed decision in your situation.
      Though we are not legal experts, from what we can gather from your story it seems like home is really hard for you right now. As far as being 17 if you were to run away because you are 17 you are still considered a minor so that would give your parents/guardians the right to file a runaway report to the police. From there if your guardians or police knew where you were they would be able to take you back home. As far as the person housing you they would possibly be charged with Harboring a Minor. The further consequences depend on every state and their own laws. If you were in need of assistance as far as shelters, transitional living programs etc. We here at NRS can help give you more specific information about the options you have.
      Again we want to commend your bravery for contacting us we know it takes a lot to seek out help. If for any reason you would have more questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us either by phone at (1-800-786-2929) or online through the chat option at (www.1800runaway.org).
      Best Wishes-NRS

• Hi my name is lexi I’m 16 and my boyfriend is 18, I just found out that I am pregnant, me and him are wanting to move to Denver we both live in Texas as of right now we both live with our parents but my mother is very overprotective and kind of strict we have already thought of everything he has a vehicle and he has a stable job and he’s been looking for some in Denver. If we were to move to Denver without our parents consent what would happen?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. As far as your boyfriend goes there is a possibility that he could be charged with something more serious since he is 18 and considered an adult. Perhaps speaking with the cops on their non-emergency number and asking might help as well.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Hi, I have a question about emancipation
    so my boyfriend wants to be emancipated because his parents are literally making his life a living hell. He has a job and is 16, when it comes to the requirements, do you know if he has to be living in his own place to prove he's independent or can he have roommates?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

• Hey I’m 17 and my boyfriend is having a rough time with his family they are always finding something to tell at him for and just emotionally abuse him and I want to help him out so bad... what do I do we are both 17.....

Comment

• Hey I’m 17 and my boyfriend

Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      It seems there is a lot that your boyfriend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help him. It’s great that your boyfriend has support and concern from you especially since this time is probably quite difficult for him.
      Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your boyfriend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your boyfriend can reach out soon.

Take care,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I have a friend who turns 18 in March. His parents take all of his money from work and constantly treats him like crap. He does not want to be there and is tempted to run away. If he left and got his own place would he get in serious trouble? He has good grades and has had a job for the past 8-9 months. He found a nice place for himself right by school and work and he has a bike. My dad has also offered ro help him out in any way he can if he gets a place. Could he leave? Email: [email protected] com

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. You mentioned wanting to know how your friend can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent's or guardian's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how your friend feeling to their parents, like your dad. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

• Hello, I am seventeen years old. I live in Kentucky. I was born in October of 2002. It is now April of 2020. I have 6 months until I turn the legal age of eighteen. It seems like a prison sentence to me, my whole life has really. I am struggling in my life. I have wanted to get away from here so many times. I have Stockholm syndrome I'm pretty sure everyone does in all reality. Which means that I don’t want to see anything bad happen to my parents no matter how bad they are. But I have a resentment for them. I hate the way I live and I hate this house it is literally falling apart. I just need legal information that is correct. I work a nine to five job. I help in paying bills. I haven't had most advantages in life that I should. So let's start off slow. I apologized if my grammar is messy, I am very stressed at the moment. My parents get to spend their money the way they would like. They contribute here and there to say that I benefitted from something they bought. But they think that I am ignorant, so I call them out on their acts. They always cut me off telling me about how I don’t do anything for anybody, that I don’t help. But when I call them out all hell breaks loose they start getting hostile and violent. They call me horrid names telling me how I wouldn't make it without them. They tell me to leave they threaten me with the cops. I am not afraid I want them to because I want to see them tell them why they were called because if they don’t I sure as hell will. I am tired of there "acts" getting in the way of my life. I constantly tell them if they want me gone so badly that they can legally emancipate me without getting in trouble but that's also when they start getting hostile and violent. I had to take myself out of public schools because I couldn't focus, I started to fail. I pay for my own homeschooling. It's sad really, I am so mentally and physically tired. I struggle here and I know I'm going to struggle when I turn eighteen. But I know that I won’t struggle as hard as I do here. I won’t have to carry all this "weight" around on me. The only problems that will fall back on me when I am eighteen is going to my problems. Not anyone else's. I am tired of taking responsibility of someone else's problems. But I need help, please respond back to me as soon as you can I need hope.

Anonymous
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 04-01-2020, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
          ccsmod4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things in your life right now.
          It sounds like you’re fearing that the stress from the situation is getting harder and harder to handle.
          We are sorry you are going through a tough emotional time.
          Having your family react the way they do must be upsetting and frustrating.

Sometimes when things are too stressful it might help to talk with someone about it.
          Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this.
          NRS is here to listen and here to help.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We would be glad to go over options with you about surviving beyond your parent’s once you reach 18.
          If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

You are welcome to discuss your situation and talk about possible options for help.
          What you did today by reaching out was great. Good job.
          We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
          NRS

• i need to get out

i turn 18 in 3 months oct 28 would i be able to run away while the courts are closed and be safe since im close to the legal age?

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is not illegal to run away. Your parent/guardian could file a runaway report on you but this would NOT mean that you would get arrested or charged with anything. It typically does mean that the police could return you home if they encountered you and that would be that. Some police can be more understanding about what is going on at your home. In our experience, police will oftentimes return the youth back to their guardian almost no matter what. Police typically do not actively search for a runaway youth. However, they will go where the parent/guardian directs them if they know where you are staying. Additionally, police can sometimes be more lenient about runaway situations the closer you are to 18. You can attempt to calmly, respectfully, and persistently deny them consent to touch you or take you anywhere, and they may give up on trying to return you home. They also may not, in which case you should comply with what they tell you to do for your safety.

If you want to talk more about what is going on and what options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
          NRS

• Hello, me and my brother are both US citizens, but we live in Mexico, we have double nationality. My brother turns 18 tomorrow and want's to move out in a couple months with an aunt in Texas. We both no longer want to be with our parents, especially my father. He's an alcoholic that gets drunk everyday and has verbally abused us so many times. I don't want to be left alone with my parents since my brother is the only one I have. I turn 17 in July. Is there a way to make my aunt my legal guardian? We both only have a year of high school left. (My brother failed 1st grade) I can give more information if you want.

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. It sounds there is a lot that you are facing at home with your dad and you would feel safer living with your aunt. We are not legal experts, so we can't say how or if transferring custody to your aunt might be possible while you are still living in Mexico. NRS is based in the United States, so our knowledge of resources and laws that affect youth in crisis would only apply to youth currently living in the U.S. It may be helpful for your aunt to consult with a lawyer about her options for pursuing custody and having you live with her. We can provide legal aid resources if you or your aunt contacts directly by phone or live chat.

Since the laws in Mexico regarding custody and traveling internationally as a minor would most likely apply, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/. We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Good luck,
          NRS
          1-800-RUNAWAY; 1800runaway.org
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X