Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17 years old and want to move out of my parents house without their permission.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We are not legal experts, but because you are still a minor, if you run away and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. It is not illegal to run away, it's a status offense, but there could be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you give us a call at 1-800-RUNWAY (786-2929) a liner could talk you through this and help you think about other options that you may have. It's great that you have a job and have ways to support yourself. If you give us a call we could help you look into emancipation. They often are looking for proof that a youth has income and a potential place to live and can support themselves. Depending on what state you live in, it can be a lengthy and costly process, but we could give you numbers for legal resources in your area to help you consider it as an option.

Don't hesitate to give us a call so that we can give you the support and resources that you need.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I’m 17 an I want to move out.
      My parents a putting me down emotionally
      if I left right now what would happen

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are very sorry to hear that your parents are putting you down emotionally. You don't deserve to be treated that way. We are not legal experts, so we cannot tell you what would happen if you left right now. However, in most states a person cannot leave home without their parent's permission until they are 18. Having a plan about where you would go and how you would take care of yourself is important. From what we know, if you leave your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Although running away is not illegal, if you decide to stay with a friend they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway.

You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. Another option that you may want to consider is looking into emancipation laws for your state. Talking to your parents about how they make you feel could help. Here at NRS, we offer conference calls between youth and their parents. This could be an opportunity for you to express how you feel to your parents with the support of an NRS worker. We hope that this information helps, if you have any other questions or concerns please contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

Hi I’m going to be turning 17 soon, I don’t like my household I feel like a black sheep in my house. I have proven over and over again that I am responsible, I have a job, I know how to save money etc I was thinking of running away to live with my boyfriend. Problem is he is 21 and I am afraid if they call me in as a missing person and the cops do find me somehow will he get in trouble too?

Comment

• ccsmod16
        ccsmod16 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, thanks for posting today. It sounds like you want some independence and that the people at home aren’t being very supportive of you. We are glad you reached out before leaving. We are here to help!
        We are not legal experts but can speak in generalities. In most states, you are considered a minor until age 18 and leaving home without permission before that age, you can be filed as a runaway. It is not a crime, it is called a status offense like skipping school. You can’t do it because of your age. You cannot be arrested for running away, however, any adult (like your boyfriend) that you stay with could be charged with the crime of harboring a runaway if your parents want to press charges. You may want to consider if you think your parents would file a runaway report with police or try to press charges against your boyfriend. If you leave and they do file a report, if the police find you, they usually take you back home. All police stations are different but we can call out on your behalf and ask some specific questions to your local police if you want to call in. We are 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 and also 4:30-11:30pm central time on our live chat through our website.
        Reach out again anytime and we can talk through some more options and offer some resources to you if you’d like.
        Thanks again for posting. We are here to help and we know it takes courage to reach out! Keep up your great work at your job and school!

I need advice...

i am 16 years old and am going through a lot.. My mom is really hard on my sister when she lived with me. She Also drinks and sometimes get violent. I am tired of my mom.. And was thinking of moving out once I get enough money and room with friends. Can I do that or would she call the cops if I did tell her once in a while that I'm safe and maybe see her.. I do not want any cops to be in this.. So I'm not sure if she'll report me if I did tell her I'm moving out... What are the benefits of this ? Your help is very much appreciated.

Comment

• ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, thanks for reaching out to us at NRS.
        It sounds like you are looking to move out in a way that is legal and would not involve any cops. So running away is not against the law, it’s technically considered a “status offense,” but your mom being your legal guardian has the right to call the police to file a runaway report and have them search to bring you home. Also, if you were to stay with another adult, that adult could get in trouble for “harboring a runaway.”
        There are exceptions, however, that would allow you to move out of your mom’s and not require you to be returned home. For instance, you mentioned possibly communicating with your mom to let her know that you’re safe, etc. If you think she would be agreeable to you staying with someone else, then you could see if she would give permission for you to do that; that way she is in the know and would likely not have any need to get the cops involved.
        Another thing is, you mentioned that sometimes your mom can drink and get violent. It is possible that her behavior could be considered abusive and could warrant an abuse investigation. Making an abuse report could either initiate the implementation of support services at home to try to promote better relations with you and your mom, or it could allow for you to relocate to an alternate/safer living situation. If you are interested in calling to get more information about this process, you can call the National Child Abuse Hotline at (800) 422-4453, or you can call us at (800) RUNAWAY and we can call in a report together.
        The third option is if you can demonstrate to a court that you are able to support yourself financially and are able to live independently outside of your home, also known as emancipation. Emancipation involves several steps and can be a lengthy process, but if you are interested in learning more, you are welcome to give us a call at the number above, and we can locate legal services in your area that can help you through the process.
        Please know our hotline is available 24/7 (800) 786-2929 and is completely confidential if you’d like to explore your options further and see what other resources we might be able to help you with.
        Best of luck!
        NRS

I'm 17, I'll be 18 this November of 2018. I wanted to know if there was any way I could move our without my parents permission, I've been going through 8 years of hell with my mom's "fiance" I've been through many counselors to try and fix our family problems. I'm sick and tired of being mistreated, pulled away from the world, and verbally abused. I can't take this anymore! I have a job and I'm saving up to buy an apartment, I have places I can go with no deadlines on when I have to move out. I'm constantly being told " if u don't like it here, get out" and when I do I get the cops called on me . I truly can't take anymore of this pain. I really need to get out if here ! I hate this house! And even if I can't move out now , I'm to the point where the second that clock turns 12:00 midnight on my 18th birthday, I'm gone .can I move out now?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear about all that has been going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts, but if you leave your home while still a minor and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. One thing you can do is to call in to your local police department and inquire about how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some don't accept them or treat them differently because at 17 a person is so close to being considered a legal adult. If you have questions about this or need help finding the local non-emergency number for your county, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are also here if you ever left and found yourself in an unsafe situation. We would be able to help you find safe spaces or shelters. It could be difficult to sign a lease on an apartment before you are 18, but there would be options for you if you were able to leave while you waited to turn 18.

Good luck, and again, don't hesitate to give us a call.

NRS
        Last edited by ccsmod1; 02-26-2018, 01:05 AM.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

My name is Tami and I live in Florida.I am 17 years old and I'm turning 18 next year February.I resently moved in with my dad and my step mom it was not by decision.I was forced to stay some where I don't want to be.I hate staying there because I don't get along with neither of them.They neglect me and and call me names some times beat me.I have a boyfriend that is 18 years of age he has his own car and his own job and is basically financially stable.I would want to move out with out my parent's consent.If they call the police and I can show prove that am major enough and can benefit my self on my own would that help?

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Tami,
            Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are in a really hard situation. We are really sorry to hear about your current living situation. You don’t deserve to be hurt by anybody, especially not your family members.
            In Florida the age of majority is 18. That means that legally, you aren’t allowed to leave without your parent’s permission before that. If you do decide to go, it isn’t a crime, it is a status offense. This means that your parent could file a runaway report and the police could return you if they find you but you won’t be charged with anything and can’t go to jail for it. Anecdotally, we often hear that, in some communities, the police won’t pursue people are 17. The best way to find that out for your town is to call the non-emergency police number and ask what they would do.
            We also wanted you to know that, if you want, you also have the option of filing an abuse report. We know that that process can be intimidating but could help you through that process if you were interested in it via our hotline (1-800-786-2929). You are also free to call just to talk about your situation and get some support. That number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is always someone here who wants to talk to you. You can also chat us through our website.
            We hope this response was helpful!** We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum.** Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: **https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Ok my name is Ashley I’m 16 years old and i don’t wanna live with my parents anymore ....I wanna wait till I’m 17 1/2 til I move out...and will be moving in with my cousin and her mom....could I get yelled at or introuble if I move out at 17 1/2 ...I will have a job and still will be doing everything I would do at my own home

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation.

We aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. You wouldn’t be considered a runaway if you received permission from your parents to live with your cousin and her mom. It would be tough to get in any trouble with consent. If you left without permission, then there may be some legal consequences. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, the most likely will return you home to your parents. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring.

We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY we are open 24/7.

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

How can I leave my mom at 17 in Tennessee

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,
            Thanks for reaching out. Though we are not legal experts, we can say that since you are under 18, you would need parental consent to leave home. If you leave home without consent, your guardian would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to find you, they may return you home. However, police response may vary depending on the situation. If you’d like to speak more specifically about what’s been going on and what your options are, please feel free to give us a call or use our chat. Our number is 1-800-786-2929. We wish you the best of luck and we hope this was helpful. We’d appreciate your feedback of our forum services at the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

We hope to hear from you soon. Stay safe!

• I am 17 going to be 18 in December my parents want to move from Arizona to Florida but I'm a senior and I want to graduate with my friends .Do I have to move with them?

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, thanks for reaching out. We are not legal experts, but generally speaking you would need your parents’ permission to live elsewhere until you are a legal adult (in Florida and Arizona, that happens at 1. If your parents move after you turn 18, you are able to choose where you live. If they move before then, you’re only able to stay where you are with their permission.
            Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
            https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
            Stay safe!

• can I take myself off my mother's link card when im 17

Comment

• ccsmod11
            ccsmod11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this issue. We’re not in charge of Link benefits and are not necessarily familiar with the rules that recipients must follow. You can contact the DHS Helpline to learn more about the Link program. Hopefully they can answer your questions more concretely than we can. You can reach them at 1-800-843-6154. If you have any questions for us, then please call us at 1-800-786-2929.

Best,
            NRS

• Hi my name is miracle, im 17 years old I want to move out because my mom and older sister I feel like I can’t go anywhere but my sister can because she 18 I’m only one year younger than her and I can’t hardly go out it’s always a no and I really want to do this and that I just want to hang with my boyfriend that really all I use to go see him every other Saturday but she changed it that was a year old ago and even if my boyfriend do do something together someone always wanna mess it up. Sister I know say that’s your sister she supposed to have your back but she don’t she always snitch on me always under mom arm pit I just shut myself out.
          Last edited by ccsmod16; 05-16-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod16
            ccsmod16 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Miracle,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It takes a strong person to ask for help, and we want you to know that we are here for you.

It must be extremely frustrating to live with your mother's restrictions. It also sounds upsetting that your sister is not on your side. Have you tried talking with any relatives or friends about your situation? It can help to have supportive people to talk with when going through trouble at home. It might also help to talk with your mom about your frustrations so that she is aware of how you feel.

You say you want to move out of your house because it has gotten so hard, and we completely understand that feeling. We are not legal experts here, but we can tell you what might happen if you were to leave home without permission. What typically happens in each state is, if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents would have the right to file a runaway report when you would leave without permission. Since it’s only considered a status offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. There could be legal consequences for any adults who are housing you for harboring a runaway.

Have you tried contacting relatives and asking your mother if she would allow you to stay with them? This is always an option. If leaving home is not possible, maybe you can brainstorm ways to make living at home easier. As I mentioned earlier, this can include explaining your feelings to your mom. It could also include trying to compromise with your mother; for example, if you do more chores around the house, maybe she would be willing to let you spend more time with your boyfriend. It’s all about how you can approach the situation together to be able to cope at home until you are 18 years old and have a little more freedom.

If you want to discuss this more, please call the National Runaway Safeline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can be reached 24/7, and we are here to listen and help in any way we can. Best of luck with everything.

Sincerely,
            NRS

• Hi my name is Ariana and I'm 17 years old and I have been living with my sister who is my guardian for about 7 months and we just went to court yesterday to see if my little sister and I can go back to our mothers house and the judge granted my sister full guardianship when we testified and said that we would like to go back with our mother. My lawyer suggested that my mother and I should sign the petition to terminate guardianship since I am of age and I doubt the judge will grant that and I´m thinking of blatantly telling my sister that I´d like to move out but I´m not sure if I am legally allowed to do that. Mind you, she doesn´t want to give me up and I am really determined to go back with my mom. I also live in California so I don´t know the ¨rules¨ about moving out at 17. My sister was 17 when she moved out but that was 13 years ago so I´m wondering if I am allowed to just move out to go live with my mom

Comment

• Reply:Hi my name is Ariana and I'm 17 years old

Hello,
            Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough spot with wanting to return to live with your mother but not sure if legally you can now that your sister has been granted guardianship.
            Unfortunately we are not legal experts and therefore suggest that you consider speaking with your lawyer. They may be in a better position to get the information about moving out of a parent or legal guardian’s home at 17.

We hope that things work out for you.
            We realize it takes courage to reach out. Good job.
            If you would like to speak more about your situation and how we might help, NRS is here to listen and explore options with you.
            You may contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (Live chat).

Take care,
            NRS

Comment

• My name is Jewel. Me and my mom have issues. My step dad has chocked me twice and my mom doesn't believe me. He's threatened to cut me in half with a chainsaw before while i was helping him with yard work. I used to cut myself every day. My boyfriend is 19 and i am 17. If i wanted to move in with him, he lives with his dad right now while he is trying to get more money saved up for a place for us once I'm old enough, would i be allowed to move in with him right now without their permission? But not be considered as a runaway?

Comment

• ccsmod10
                ccsmod10 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Jewel,

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and it is good of you to reach out to us. Before we get into your questions, you should know that it is not okay for your stepdad to hurt or threaten you in any way. That is abuse and you may want to consider reporting it by either calling us or calling Child Help, the National Child Abuse Hotline, at 1-800-422-4453.

We are not legal experts, but we can give some answers that are usually correct. Running away is not a crime. It’s considered a statutory offense, which means that if the police were to find you and you had not committed any other crimes, they would return you to your family or a safe living arrangement. When you reach the age of majority, which in most states is 18, you can no longer be considered a runaway. If you want to find out about your state, please give us a call and we can look that up.

If you were to stay with an adult, they can be guilty of a crime called “harboring a runaway.” However, it is rare for police to charge people with that crime. It’s just a risk we want you to be aware of.

Again, thanks for reaching out to us. Contacting us is a good first step, and if you need anything else, please give us a call. Best of luck as you make your plan.
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X